General Fiction posted January 7, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An interview with Ernest Hemingway by Oprah

The Interview

by LoannaLois


I was wondering how cool I was going to try to be. Here I am, I swear, the talk-show host, waiting to interview a monument to Literature. He has no idea how times have changed; how different my role in life is. I do not want to appear intimidating.

HELLO, MR. HEMINGWAY...I BELIEVE YOU HAVE CAUGHT ME IN A PERSONAL REVERIE, WONDERING JUST HOW TO COMMUNICATE WITH GREATNESS.

Ms. Winfrey, just cut the crap and be yourself. We'll be drinking buddies before you know it. I'm glad to meet you. Able to look ahead, I liked The Color Purple very much. Finally, an honest movie without being overly dramatic. But you asked me to explain my sad story. Well, here it is.

OH, BY THE WAY, WHAT TIME IS IT, TOOTS?

Well, Mr Hemingway,(may I call you Ernest?)... { He nodded yes.}... And it's 3:18 P.M., Ernest.

O.K. I WAS AN AMBULANCE DRIVER IN THE WAR, WHERE I WAS CRITICALLY WOUNDED. THEY HAD TO SEND ME HOME. I SUPPOSE MY ANGER AND UNADULTERATED GRIEF BEGAN AT MY LANDING HOME. I BEGAN WRITING LIKE A MAD MAN...BEGINNING MY FIRST NOVEL, 'THE SUN ALSO RISES'. I'VE LIVED IN AFRICA WHERE I BECAME 'ME'. TWO HORRIBLE PLANE CRASHES, 'THE NOBEL' AND 'PULITZER PRIZE' ALL CAME AND WENT FROM MY LIFE. THEY MEANT NOTHING. ...AND PLEASE STOP LOOKING AT ME AS IF YOU ARE GOING TO PET ME.

I CAME HOME, NEXT, TO OUR MUTUAL HOME IN OAK PARK, ILLINOIS...(DID YOU KNOW WE SHARED A TEMPORARY HOME TOWN?) HELL, CUB FANS STICK TOGETHER. 'WISH I COULD HAVE STAYED A FAN, DONE SOMETHING RATHER LIKE MY BOYHOOD SHOULD HAVE CONSISTED OF.' BUT THAT'S ALL SAID AND DONE. NOVEL AFTER NOVEL THEN CAME TO FILL MY SOLITUDE.

WRITING WAS JUST NOT ENOUGH. NEITHER WAS THE BOOZE. I WAS SO LOST, DEPRESSED, AND SORRY FOR MYSELF, IT WAS PATHETIC. I DECIDED TO MOVE OUT WEST TO KETCHUM, IDAHO. THE REST; YOU KNOW, BABE.

Yes, I know the rest. Why, after such a full life, filled to your brim with talent, did you end that precious life?

OPRAH, SOMETIMES THE BELL TOLLS. THE BELL JUST TOLLS FOR EACH OF US.



Conversations writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 200 to 600 word story about a conversation between any character on row A and any character on row B.




Recognized


He was always a favorite author...and I traveled to Ketcham, Idaho many times. For me, I could almost feel a whisper of sadness.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LoannaLois All rights reserved.
LoannaLois has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.