Romance Fiction posted January 7, 2018 Chapters:  ...57 58 -59- 60... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson lays out his plans.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Achtzehn part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Hannah remained and stared through the window. After the men sat at the table, Anderson asked, "Could I get anyone some coffee or a bottle of water? We may be here a while."

Paul grinned. "Think they'd have tea? I'm sure my wife could use some."

"I'll find some. Anything else?"

"Some water." Paul stood. "Maybe that would help."

"When's the last time you've eaten?" asked Anderson.

Paul studied Hannah and then said, "Maybe Friday morning? I'm not sure."

"I'll get something."

Benjamin started to speak.

"I'll make sure it's kosher. I know it's the Sabbath," interrupted Anderson. We passed a Cafe Express on the way in. If it doesn't have kosher food, maybe the cafeteria does. I hope Jane and Helen are available for questions.

TODAY'S POST:

Soon after Benjamin visited Sarah, he said, "Shana, we need to thank Mr. Sharp for bringing you and for getting food and drinks. It's getting late. Your mother and I need to go home. Are you coming with us or going back to New York tonight?"

"I'm not sure. We haven't discussed it, but I packed. My suitcase is by the nurses' station." She searched for Anderson and saw him off-to-the-side making phone calls.

"You're definitely not staying in a hotel. Imagine how it would look for a single girl rooming with a divorced man?" Benjamin pointed toward the nurses' station. "Get your bag. You're coming with us. Mr. Sharp is busy."

"I can't leave without at least speaking with him. That would be rude. Look at all he's done for me." Shana turned toward Anderson but said to her father, "I'll be right back."

As Shana approached him, Anderson hung up. "Your face tells me there's a problem. What's wrong?"

"Father..." Shana's shoulders slumped.

"He wants you to come home," interrupted Anderson. "He's worried how it would look for you and me staying in a hotel." After she nodded, he continued, "It won't be safe for you to stay at his house or your apartment. I'll speak with him." He put his hand on the small of her back and led her toward her parents.

As Anderson and Shana passed Paul and Hannah, who had just finished a consultation with Sarah's doctors, Paul called, "Anderson, we need to speak."

Shana glanced at Anderson. "They look confused. Do you know what that's about?"

"I do." Anderson motioned to a table. "Let's sit and talk." He made eye contact with Benjamin. "Would you and Eliana please join us?" He held a chair for Shana and did the same for the other two ladies.

After all were seated, Anderson said, "Paul, I'm sure the doctors explained some additional options for Sarah's care."

Shana's eyes widened. "Anderson, what did you do?"

"I had Philip research the best children's hospitals for treating Tay-Sachs." Anderson took out his phone. "There are a couple of really good hospitals in Great Britain."

"There's no way we would send Sarah to Europe without us. Paul needs to work. Besides, it would be way too expensive." Hannah fidgeted with her hands.

"I understand." Anderson scrolled down. "Boston Children's Hospital is the best in the US."

"Again, my job's here in Peoria." Paul shook his head. "We have bills, and now additional bills are mounting. We won't allow Sarah to be sent someplace without her parents. She's our child."

"You don't understand how important family is in our culture," added Benjamin.

"I've thought of that." As everybody stared at him, Anderson continued, "Hannah could go with Sarah, and I would fly Paul to Boston every weekend or more often if necessary."

"I can't let my wife stay in a strange city by herself, and a hotel would cost way too much. We can't afford it."

"You wouldn't have too. I'd pay the rent, and I know of a trusted lady, a phone call away, who could stay with Hannah."

Shana tilted her head and stared at Anderson.

"Shana, you know her sister." Anderson's eyes met Benjamin's. "And you've met her. She's Jane's sister, Mary. She's worked for me when Jane wasn't available. Mary is able to stay with Hannah as long as necessary. I'll pay her salary."

"Why would you do this?" asked Hannah.

"I can see how difficult this is on you," Anderson glanced and nodded toward Benjamin and Eliana, "and the family. Sarah needs the best doctors and medicine money can buy. I don't doubt she's getting good care, but the Boston Children's Hospital is on the cutting edge of research. I have the means and want to provide this for you. My private jet will be available whenever you get free or need to spend time with your wife and daughter." He paused. "Again, as often as necessary."

Hannah touched Shana's hand. "Is this real?"

"I guess it is." Shana's eyes met Anderson's as she mouthed, "Thank you."

"Please sleep on it tonight. When Shana and I return in the morning, you can give me your answer." Anderson faced Benjamin. "Now, for the next business. I understand you wanting to protect your daughter. I want Shana safe too. She does not need to be protected from me. I would never hurt her."

"You're hurting her reputation so no self-respecting Jewish man would want her." Benjamin laid his hands flat on the table.

"I see." Anderson licked his lip. "If Shana is with me, I can protect her."

"Are you insinuating I can't protect my daughter?" Benjamin stood. "I've done a pretty good job for twenty-five years." He faced Shana. "Get your bag. We're leaving."

Shana stood and walked toward the nurses' desk.

Anderson rose from his chair. "Benjamin, I've made arrangements for us to stay in a condo in Chicago. It's on the top floor, and it's secure."

"It's a good two and an half hour drive to Chicago." Benjamin set his jaw.

"I know, but we can be there in thirty minutes. I have a jet at my disposal."

"All of that isn't necessary. Her old bedroom is available."

"I've made sure there are at least two bedrooms and two full bathrooms. Shana will be very safe."

"But..."

"She can lock the damn door," interrupted Anderson. "I won't break it down." At a sound of commotion, he glanced toward Shana and ran toward her, as he yanked a knife from his back waistband.

*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria




Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of Jewish symbols. I chose this because Shana's Jewish heritage plays an important role in who she is and the choices she makes. This post is building to future issues. This post is a littler longer than my usual posts. I hope you don't mind. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion. I wrote this post a long time ago and edited it over and over again. As I reread today, I made changes. I hope I didn't make it worse. There's a sentence in here that is giving me fits. I wonder if you'll pick up on it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.