Biographical Poetry posted December 25, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A very painful affliction

Chiari Malformation

by HarryT

I have what is called Chiari Malformation; my brain, we humorously say, is too big for my head. In reality, there is an opening that caused my cerebellum to leak into the spinal canal causing pressure on the spinal cord and therefore great ensuing pain.

Causes may be congenital, genetic or from traumatic injury; makes little difference the pain is just the same. Rashes of hurt as ringing in my ears, dizziness, difficulty swallowing, and depression just to name some; however, though the years, I have found it does not help looking for someone or some source to blame.

There are four types of Chiari, identified as Roman Numerals I-IV; which type matters little they all cause excruciating pain. Pills are not very helpful, they only slightly dull the pain; surgery is the only hope to relieve the continual agonizing flame. Some docs use decompression or a dura patch, and if there is a hydrocephalic condition, a shunt is placed to drain excess fluid and hopefully relieve some of the pressure firing neurological hot wires.

We patients do have hope, and there is relief for some of us thanks to skillful surgeries; however, funding is needed for research, if progress is to continue...


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.