General Fiction posted December 7, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Suspense in 200 words is difficult to write.

Little Mel

by Heather Knight


I didn't even bother to tell Ryan when Melinda was born, he had made it quite clear he didn't want anything to do with us.

At first, I was brokenhearted. I'd loved him very much and, besides, I didn't want to be a single mum. However, after a few months I got used to it. My little girl was the center of my world and I was happy.

One morning, I realized I had no formula left, so I went upstairs to check on Melinda. She was asleep and it was freezing outside. I decided to go to the convenience store round the corner on my own.

When I came back I noticed the front door was unlocked. I felt a sensation of dread in the pit of my stomach. I ran upstairs and into Melinda's room. Her cot was empty.

I took my phone out of my pocket and called the police.

'My baby has been taken!' I screamed into the receiver.

In less than ten minutes, my house had been turned into a crime scene. Thankfully, my ordeal didn't last long.

'Is this your baby, Ma'am?' an officer asked me. Apparently, they had found her in Ryan's home ...



Recognized

Club entry for the "Suspense" event in "Flash Fiction Club".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.