Writing Non-Fiction posted December 1, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Homeless at Martin Place, Sydney

Tent City a tense issue

by LittleIrishman

It is funny how the homeless Tent City, at Martin Place, city of Sydney, emerged around, National Homelessness Week.

Sydney Lord Mayor, Clover Moore, states how 'Tent City is a result of gutless inaction by successive state Governments' (AAP, August 1, 2017). Can one believe that dozens of tents have been erected at Martin Place, Sydney, since December 2016, which is quite a long time.

Family and Community Services staff have visited the Tent City site 41 times to offer their services, including finding permanent housing for 60 people from the site.

Generally, people talk of disadvantaged individuals and groups in poorer, second-and-third world countries. But Australia, including Sydney, has its own disadvantaged people, like Tent City.

Like other disadvantaged people, one can only imagine how some or all members of Tent City felt -- cold, hungry, dirty, messy, uncomfortable, and inconvenient. It would have been interesting to find out if these people of Tent City kept to their own, or worked in together to help and support one another like a proper social set-up (Alcreator Litt Dear, FanStory.com)

The immediate point that comes to mind, with National Homelessness Week, is that Tent City may have been an indirect protest and demonstration.

On the other hand, such Tent City members picked a nice, rich and affluent spot at Martin Place, being a largely business and professional area.

Surely, members of Tent City should have realised, that people and local authorities in Martin Place, and Sydney, would only take so much of an eyesore as Tent City. This especially because Martin Place, and city of Sydney is considered rich, elite, and affluent area, having an image and reputation to live up to.

Some people even resort to living away from an actual premises and residences to save money for other expenses like, education, rent-mortgage, work and business like sole traders, and everyday costs. Examples of this outdoor living, is obviously Tent City, and also a camp, tent, mobile-car home, caravan, even a house boat.

There are even some accidental, and intentional, purposeful rich, affluent homeless.

It was not certain whether members of Tent City were being helped and supported by local City of Sydney, and or charity, welfare, health and medical, and emergency people and groups.

Tent City comes at a time when the, 'Vinnies (St. Vincent dE Paul Society) CEO Sleepout 2017' was on. Such a sleepout gives business, professional, and affluent people a real-life experience of what it is like being homeless. Some millions of dollars was raised for donations for Vinnies' charity program services for the more than 105,000 homeless people in Sydney (McCauley, Dana. June 26, 2017).

New York City in America, used to be a similar but more advanced state like Martin Place's Tent City, as a troublesome red light district. The local New York authorities decided to clean up and totally revamp the city, moving on its disadvantaged members to other areas, or welfare-charity groups.

There are even some, 'professional homeless' people in Sydney. A man had his little homeless shelter out the front of Myer, at George Street, Sydney. A media story was done on this guy, and apparently, at one stage, earned $50,000 for a year and or on average. Tent City was moved along, like New York City. So the question remains, why did this professional homeless guy get to stay put and continue begging.

Can one believe, and has been mentioned and discussed many times over, that if everyone locally and worldwide teamed up and put together their money, time, and efforts, homelessness and poverty can be greatly minimised, even stopped to some extent.

Bibliography
- Alcreator, Litt Dear, FanStory.com
- AAP (August 1, 2017) 'Growing controversy over NSW homeless camp', SkyNews.com.au
- McCauley, Dana. (June 26, 2017) 'CEOs slammed for gamifying homelessness at Vinnies Sleepout', News.com.au
- The Saturday Paper (August 12, 2017) 'Desponding to Martin Place, Tent City'/ 'Tent City'


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LittleIrishman All rights reserved.
LittleIrishman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.