Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 17, 2017 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Berryville PD figures out who attacked Stan.

A chapter in the book Demons in My Head

Stan's Attacker

by Mistydawn


Rachel slowly trudges into the police station. It's been a long, busy day and she was more than ready to go home. She's hoping that her husband is ready too.
w
Stepping through the door she weaves around rows of empty desks. Looking over, she sees a janitor cleaning up in the far corner.

Poor dude has his work cut out for him, she concludes, eyeing their mess. No matter how bad they leave it,  Henry never complains.

"Evenin, Sarge."

"Good evening, Henry."

Flashing his beautiful smile, he gets back to work.

Joe is on his phone when she steps into his office.

Seeing Rachel in front of him, he puts the device on its cradle. "I was just about to call you."

"Are you ready to go home too?" Rachel laughs.

"More than ready, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon."

"Why, what's going on?" Rachel's face turns pale.

"Someone just reported gunshots at Madeline Howard's apartment."

"I'm on my way." She wearily turns towards the door.

***

Jumping up, Katelyn grabs a hold of Lucas' lifeless body and shoves him aside. Seeing Madeline lying unresponsive on the cold hard floor, Katelyn tearfully drops to her knees.

"Mother, Mother, please wake up, please, Mom?"

Madeline didn't respond.

"Please answer me, please," she begs, shaking her. 

Madeline slowly opens her eyes.

"Are you alright, Mom?"

"I... I think so." She slowly lifts up to a sitting position. Seeing a bloody corpse beside her, Madeline screams.

"It's alright, Mother, he can't hurt us anymore."

"Oh Katelyn, what did you do, what did you do?" she frighteningly asks.

"I saved us from being killed."

The front door flies open, officers storm into the room.

"Put your hands up where I can see them," Jerry orders, pointing his gun towards the women.

Terrified, the ladies throw their hands in the air.

"We're unarmed, we're unarmed," Katelyn nervously blurts out as an officer pats her down.

Walking over to the victim, Kirk feels for a pulse. "He's dead, Sir."

"He tried to kill us, he tried to kill us," Katelyn exclaims as officers drag her out of the house.

"She's right, he threatened to shoot us if I didn't pay," Madeline adds.

"We'll sort it out at the station." Jerry escorts her to the door.

Rachel sees officers loading suspects into the car when she pulls up to the scene.

"You missed out on all of the action."

"I see that. So what do we have?"

"We have one dead from an apparent stabbing in the back. Both ladies are claiming that it was done in self-defense."

"How can it be self-defense if they stabbed him in the back?"

"That's what I want to know."

"What about the reported gunfire?"

"It must've been a stray bullet because no one was shot."

"So what do you want me to do?"

"Do a walkthrough of the crime scene, and then meet me at the station."

"Sounds like a plan." She's heading towards the apartment when she's met by one of their lab techs.

"Rachel, we found a gun laying a few feet from the deceased. He has gunpowder residue on his right hand and the only prints on the weapon are his. The knife that was used to stab him matches the ones found in their kitchen. It has two sets of prints. One belongs to Katelyn and I'm assuming the other matches, Madeline. I'll know more when I compare them in the lab."

"Thank you, Kirk."

"There's one more thing. We found a slug in the ceiling. I'll have forensics check to see if it matches his gun."

"Are there any signs of forced entry?"

"No, and there are no signs of a struggle either."

"So they must have let him into their apartment." 

***

Storming into the interrogation room, Jerry plops down in front of Madeline. He's hoping that if he's a little rough on her, she'll cave in and tell him the whole story.

"Ok, Madeline, this is how it is. The DA wants to send you and Katelyn to prison for a very long time."

"Prison, no, I don't want to go to prison. Please, don't send me there," she cries.

"I'm sorry Madeline, but with all the evidence stacked against you, there's not a lot I can do."

"I didn't kill him, Katelyn did, but it was in self-defense." She sobs.

"How can it be self-defense when she stabbed him in the back?"

"He was holding a gun to my head, Katelyn ran up and stabbed him to save my life."

"How did this Lucas dude get into your house to begin with?" Opening his notebook, Jerry glances up at Madeline.

"I was watching TV when Katelyn knocks asking to be let in. A guy pushes her into our house the moment I open the door. He starts threatening to shoot us if I didn't pay him what Katelyn owes. I was scared detective. S.... so terrified, I didn't know what to do," she stutters.

"What happened next?"

"He and my daughter argued and that's when the guy came towards me with a gun." Blowing her nose, she continues, "Katelyn grabs a knife from the kitchen and runs toward us. The next thing I remember, Katelyn is shaking me, telling me to wake up."

Jerry glances up from his notebook. "Do either of you know him?"

"I don't, but I believe she does."

"Let me talk to your daughter, see if she can confirm your story." He sees Rachel standing in the hallway when he opens the door.

"I spoke to Katelyn and she confirms everything Madeline just said. When I asked her whereabouts this morning, she said she was in the park. I asked her if anyone could put her there, and she said Lucas and his buddy Jimmy can. So I'm going to find Jimmy to confirm her story."

Jerry walks back into the room. "I have another question I need to ask you. How did the bullet get in your ceiling?"

"I pushed his arms up, right before we fell."

"Sit tight, let me see what Joe wants to do." He starts to walk to the captain's office when he thinks of a few more questions for Katelyn.

Katelyn is sobbing at the table when Jerry opens the door.

"I've already spoken to your mom. Now I have a few things I need to ask you."

"I told the other detective everything." She sniffles.

"It's not about what happened tonight, it's about this morning's events."

"I told her I was at the park."

"I know, and she's checking on that now, in the meantime, I wanted to ask you if there's anybody who'd want to hurt your father? Anyone with a grudge, maybe someone he owes money to?"

"I can't think of anyone."

"Do you have a grudge against him, Katelyn?"

"No, I love my Father. I just wish he felt the same way." She glances down at the table. Looking up, she continues, tears streaming down her face.

"Dad hates me because of all the things I did when I was younger. I was sick back then, didn't know what I was doing. Of course, refusing to take my medicine only made things worse. Dad doesn't understand that he just doesn't understand," she cries.

"Maybe someday he will."

"He'll never forgive me for what I've done, never! He even blames me for splitting him and mom up. He said I purposely ruined his family, that I'm a psychopath, and he wishes I was never born. I didn't want to do all of those horrible things, I really didn't, but my voices kept telling me to. Why can't anyone understand that, why? Sometimes I wish I was never born then I wouldn't hurt the ones I love. Why was I born this way, why? I don't want to be like this, I don't. I'd give anything to be normal, anything at all. Why can't I be normal, why? Dad is right, I am a mistake, a big, fat, stupid mistake."

The door flies open.

"Oh, honey," Madeline rushes to her daughter's side.

"I'm sorry, Mama, I'm so sorry for everything I've ever done. Please forgive me, please, please forgive me," she cries, leaning her head against Madeline's chest.

"It's alright honey, everything is going to be ok, I promise."

"You still love me, right?"

"I'll always love you, no matter what happens," she says, wrapping her arms around her daughter. Looking up at Joe, Madeline explains.

"She gets like this when she doesn't take her medicine."

"I've had personal experience with this disease so I know how they can get. That's why I allowed you to come in here, before, well, you know how their moods change," Joe replies.

Having a thought, Madeline looks up at the captain. "Have you checked Stan's security cameras yet?"

"What security cameras?"

"The ones he has strung all over his house. I don't know where they're located but I'm sure his maid does."

***

Walking over to the elevator, Rachel pushes the button. Not seeing it light up, she pushes it again. A seedy-looking gentleman steps through the front door as she pushes it a third time.

Stopping, he turns towards her. "That elevator doesn't work. It hasn't for over three years."

"Ok, thanks."

After climbing six flights of stairs, Rachel breathlessly makes it to Jimmy's door.

"Hey, Jimmy, whatcha doing?" Rachel asks as he opens the door. He's one of their frequent flyers, often busted for possession of a controlled substance and public intoxication.

"What do you want, now?"

"I want to ask you a few questions."

"Can't this wait until tomorrow? I sort of have company."

"Well, I sort of have some questions, so we can either do it here or at the station, your choice."

"Ok, what is it?"

"Was Katelyn Howard at the park today?"

"She's at the park almost every day."

"What time?"

"It was ten. I remember thinking she wasn't going to show because she's usually there by nine."

"How did she act?"

"Her normal self. Why?"

"Did you notice anything different about her actions or her appearance?"

"She had some Jelly donut on her shirt and her face."

"You're sure that's what it was?"

"She always picks up breakfast before she comes to the park."

"Do you remember what she was wearing?"

"White shirt, jeans, she had another top under it, light blue tank top I think. Wait, is she alright?"

"Why wouldn't she be?"

"No reason." He nervously looks away.

"Don't play dumb with me."

"I'm not, honest."

"Bullshit!" Getting in his face, she continues. "You know something and if you don't tell me I'll haul your ass in for drug possession."

"What drugs, I don't have any drugs."

"What's that on your table?" Jimmy glances to where she's pointing.

"From here I'd say it's enough for a warrant. God knows what else we'll find when we search your place."

"I know my rights and you can't go snooping around without a warrant."

"Plain sight statute says I can. So you can either start talking or take a ride." She reaches for her handcuffs.

"If I tell you what Lucas said, you'll forget you saw the drugs?"

"What drugs?"

Jimmy studies her for a minute. "Lucas left the park today mad, claiming Katelyn owes him money and she better pay if she knows what's good for her."

"What do you think he meant by that?"

"He'd probably kill her if she refused to pay." His face turns pale.

"Oh my God he did it, he killed Katelyn!"

"Don't worry, she's fine."

"Is Lucas alright?"

"Thanks for your help, Jimmy," she replies, walking down the hallway.

"Wait, you didn't answer my question, is Lucas alright?"

Her cell rings as she's driving away, she puts it on speaker.

"Rachel, we have the surveillance tape of Stan's attack."

"What did it show, Jerry?"

"Katelyn is....."

Rachel's phone loses connection.


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.