Essay Non-Fiction posted November 3, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A weekly newsletter from the West Tennessee Blues Society.

Welcome To The Blues-Line

by papa55mike


Hi, everybody! This newsletter is designed to recognize and promote the amazing Blues artists from West Tennessee both past and present.

The story of John Henry Barbee has always been one of my favorites. William George Tucker was born in the small town of Henning, Tennessee in 1905. He changed his name to John Henry after the popular folk song of the time. John Henry learned to play the guitar and the harmonica by the age of thirteen. He began to play parties and a few Juke Joints in the early 1920's. John Henry built a good reputation by playing music with many great artists during the 1930's into the early 40's. Artists like, "Sonny Boy" Williamson, "Big" Joe Williams, "Sunnyland" Slim, and "Sleepy" John Estes.

John Henry got a good break when he recorded a single for Vocalion Records titled: "Six Week Old Blues / God Knows I Can't Help It." The single sold really well and Vocalion tried to contact him for a follow-up. They couldn't find him anywhere. It seems that John Henry came home early one night and found his wife with her boyfriend. He pulled out his gun and shot him. John Henry instantly fled to Chicago. He gave up his home and music career, fleeing what he thought was a murder charge. Truth was, he barely wounded the man.

Twenty-five years later, during the Blues Revival in the early 60's. Blues great, Willie Dixon, sought out John Henry. He found him Chicago working in an Ice Cream Parlor, scooping out ice cream. That's when John Henry found out there was no murder charge. Dixon invited him to tour Europe with Howling Wolf and "Lightning" Hopkins. That my friends was a party!

Returning to America, John Henry bought his very first car. While driving home one night, a man stumbled off of the curb and John Henry accidentally killed him. He was sent to jail and his case never made it to court. On November 3, 1964, John Henry passed away in jail, eleven days before his sixtieth birthday. What a story!

Write your stories and play your songs, everybody! Be blessed. mike




I started writing this newsletter for the Blues Society several weeks ago. I happen to be the Secretary. I thought I'd share some of these wonderful stories on Fanstory.

Please, I'm begging you! Youtube John Henry Barbee, they have many of his recordings. He has an amazing voice. One of my favorites is The Ballad Of John Henry.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.