Romance Fiction posted October 8, 2017 Chapters:  ...46 47 -48- 49... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emily's party dress arrives

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Funfzehn part eine

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Remember my call to California?" After Anderson nodded, Philip continued, "The lawyer they used has some health issues. He recommended Gaines. I had Isaiah check his references. He's good. It sounds as if Kuznetsov may have met his match."

"Good. Set up an appointment for this week, tomorrow, if possible. I plan on working from home so any time is good."

Emily ran into the room. "Daddy, are you done with your work? Can you play with me?"

"Sure can. What would you like to do?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 15 part 1

After lunch the following day, Emily sat by the elevator door. "Aunt Jane, you said my party dress would be delivered this afternoon. I ate lunch so it's this afternoon, and it's not here."

"You need to be patient. Let's go to your room, and I'll read you a story. Time will go faster." Jane held out her hand.

"Can Ms. Shana come too and help read?" Emily's eyes twinkled.

Shana smiled. "Of course, I can."

The three ladies and two dogs headed toward Emily's room. Axel stood guard by the elevator.

Moments later, Philip stepped into Emily's room holding a wrapped package. "I bet this is what you've been waiting for."

Emily leaped from her bed and took it from him. "My party dress! Did it come with shoes?"

"Let me help you open it," offered Jane.

As the blue polka-dotted dress was lifted from the box, Emily tilted her head.

"Is something wrong?" asked Shana.

"I expected a party dress like Mommy wears."

"Try it on. I think you'll look cute in it." Jane held it up to her.

After Emily changed, she posed in the mirror. "I look cute. I don't want to look cute. I want to look glamorous." Her hands were on her hips.

"Emily Nicole Sharp, you're five years old." Jane frowned.

"Jane, why don't you see if Helen needs help?" Shana nodded toward the door.

As Jane walked by the den, Anderson asked, "How does Emily like her dress?"

"She doesn't. It isn't glamorous enough. She wants a party dress like Patricia wears."

Anderson stood. "I won't have my daughter dressing like a...like a.... I'll take care of this."

"Sit down," said Jane. "Shana's talking with her. I think, or at least hope, this will have a happy ending."

"I'm not sure Shana's had experience with headstrong young girls."

"True, but I'm sure she won't be in favor of Emily looking like a hoochie-momma either."

Anderson nodded and sat. "I'll wait for the outcome then decide what I'm going to do."

Later that afternoon, Anderson noticed Shana in the hallway and motioned for her to come in. "Did you have success with Emily?"

Shana sat beside Anderson's desk. "I'm not sure it's my place to say anything, but..."

"But what?" interrupted Anderson. "Please continue."

She placed both hands on his desk. "I guess I'll start at the beginning so you understand the context of what she said. Emily and I discussed different types of clothing people wear. Then I addressed different types of clothes that are appropriate for certain events."

"So far, I'd say it went okay."

"I decided to see how Emily wanted to be treated. Of course, she wanted to be treated nicely." After she studied her hands for a few moments, she continued, "I made the mistake of assuming that Patricia's male friends treated her well."

"I'm afraid I know where this might be leading."

"You're probably correct. Emily has witnessed her mom being verbally and physically abused, on more than one occasion." Shana blew out a deep breath. "I know it's none of my business, but you might want to have her speak with a counselor." She hesitated before she continued, "She's witnessed situations no young child should have seen."

Anderson buzzed Philip.

"I asked if she noticed how you treat her and women. She mentioned how you open doors and are polite. I told her in order to attract men like that she needs to respect herself and one way to do that is by the way she dresses. I then discussed how acting in certain ways helps in how you want to be treated."

When Philip entered, Anderson motioned for him to sit. "Emily has witnessed Patricia being abused. Call her pediatrician and set up an appointment. We'll get a counselling referral from him. I'm not sure how long ago she saw him, anyway."

Shana stood. "I hope I haven't crossed any boundaries. Bottom line is, Emily will be happy to wear the dress Jane bought for her and the included shoes, but she wanted heels."

"Thank you." Anderson stood. "I'm glad she felt comfortable enough to talk with you. Where is she now?"

"She's in her room and really wants to go to the park."

"I'll get a hold of Jeff and see if we can't make that happen." Anderson glanced at his ringing cell. "Philip, this is Patricia. Will you see if Jeff can help take Emily to the park? I'll be right there. This shouldn't take long."





*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to get painting back



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a little girl's party dress. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion.

This post DOES have valuable information that will be needed later on.





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.