Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 4, 2017 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Things are looking up for Katelyn and Madeline.

A chapter in the book Demons in My Head

One Step Forward

by Mistydawn



Katelyn is sobbing on an old wooden bench when she hears footsteps walking towards her. Thinking it's the cops coming to escort her away, she springs up from her seat. "I'm just about to..." Realizing it's her old friend Carlos, she stops.

"I heard what you said in there, Katelyn and I think I can help."

"I'm not hooking for you, Carlos." Pulling the thin jacket around herself, she quickly backs away. 

"No, no, it's nothing like that, but now that you mention it." Reaching over, he gently strokes the side of her face.

She slaps his hand away. "Touch me again and see what happens."

"I always did like that feistiness in you." Chuckling, he continues."The fuzz is watching me real close so I need to get rid of as much product as I can." Seeing her hesitate, he decides to sweeten his deal. "I'll even split the profit with you fifty, fifty."

"You'll give me half, huh." I really could use the money, get me out of that hellhole I'm in, but I'd be doing something illegal. "I don't know about this, Carlos. I mean I'm really trying to do right this time, go straight, play by their rules and all." She thinks about what happened at the store. That's not working out too well.

"Well, I thought I'd offer, see you around." He walks away.

 I don't want to go back to prison, but what other choice do I have? "Hey, wait."

He turns back around.

"If I do this it'll only be temporary, until I find something legal, ok?"

"Meet me at the park in an hour," he says, stepping off the curb.

"Thanks, Carlos."

"Hey, Katelyn."

"Yeah?"

"Think about my other offer too." He winks.

"You wish."

Don't we all? Smiling, he walks away.

***

Madeline is busy in the kitchen when Stan storms into the room. Taking a deep breath for courage, she turns to face him.

"Good morning, Stan. Your breakfast will be ready in a minute. Fresh orange juice and a pot of coffee are already on the table."

"Are you going to paint today?" he asks, pouring himself a cup of Java.

"I was planning to, why?"

"I'm tired of coming home to that repulsive smell every night."

"I didn't realize it bothers you so much, Stan."

"Well, it does, besides you're too old to start a new career."

"If you remember correctly, Grandma Moses wasn't famous until she was 78."

"Well, you're no Grandma Moses and I don't want to smell paint when I get home, understand?" He shuffles towards their door.

"Yes, Stan. Aren't you going to eat breakfast before you go?"

"I'll eat at my office, where I can have an intelligent conversation with my meal."

***

Kately thinks about her agreement with Carlos as she waits for her first customer to show. I didn't want to do anything illegal this time, but if I don't do something soon, I'll be living on the streets like all the others.

Katelyn's nurse told her a lot of homeless use a system that'll give them shelter a couple weeks at a time. If they time it right, they won't be on the streets when a blizzard or heat wave hits. She said it's become a way of life for many since the government closed several hospitals and reduced funding on others. It's either this or the streets, she thinks, watching a bum scrounging through the trash.

***

Madeline is finishing her coffee at their kitchen table, thinking about what Stan had said.

"Who does he think he is, talking to me like I'm a brainless twit? Telling me I can't hold an intelligent conversation. I'm the one who was class valedictorian in college, not him. I could've had a great career too, but I gave it all up to please him. For thirty stinking years I've bent over backward trying to make him happy then he goes and treats me this way, acting like I'm a burden to him, a hindrance, someone he's forced to put up with, support." She thinks back to all the hateful things he's ever said to her. "How did our marriage come to this, how?" she sobs. "We were so happy in the beginning, so happy." She recalls all the fun times they had when their children were little. "Where did I go wrong, oh, where did I go wrong?" she bawls.

Hearing a light tap on the back door, she quickly glances up. Her friend Marge is standing on their porch. "I can't let her see me like this, I just can't." Using her apron tail, she quickly wipes her face. Be brave Madeline. She pastes on a fake smile as she opens the door.

"I'm so glad you're here," Madeline blubbers, pulling her friend inside.

"Why, what's going on, Honey?"

"It's Stan," she cries, falling into her friend's arms.

"He hurt you again, didn't he? I warned him what would happen if he laid his hands on you."

"No, no, he didn't touch me, Marge."

"What is it then?" she questions, feeling her friend's body trembling against her.

"Stan said I should stop wasting my time painting and get a job, earn my keep around here."

"Earn your keep? Honey, I bet you work harder on this house than he does at his job."

"I could do more," she sobs.

Marge glances around Madeline's immaculate kitchen. "You do plenty. Besides, you're not wasting your time painting, and I'll prove it."

"How?" she asks, wiping her teary face again.

"We're going to sell your paintings at the fall festival."

"I don't have a booth."

"Yes you do, mine," Marge hands her a receipt from her purse.

Madeline looks at the ticket, then back at her friend. "I...I don't know what to say?"

"The excitement on your face says it all."

"Oh Marge, thank you, thank you so much," she says, hugging her dear friend.

***

"You did really well today, Katelyn, sold double what Jimmy did." Handing her a wad of cash Carlos continues. "I have a young couple who is willing to rent you a room for a hundred bucks a month if you're interested."

"I won't have to do anything extra like I do at the halfway house, will I?"

"I doubt either of them is into all of that bondage stuff. Me, on the other hand." He reaches for her.

She grabs ahold of his wrist. "Touch me again and you'll be eating dirt," she warns.

Chuckling, he brings his hand to his side. "Do you want to see it?" Noticing her evil glare he nervously clears his throat. "The room I mean?"

Seeing him fidget, Katelyn smiles. "Sure."

The two pull up to a beautiful Victorian home a few minutes later.

"Their house is gorgeous."

"Keep working for me and you'll be able to afford a fancy house too."

"He works for you?"

"He helps me run another part of my business, making everything look legit. You'll love his wife Mariela, she's a sweet little thing."

Hearing someone yell, they both turn towards the house. A tall, thin man is running through his yard, a petite Italian lady is yelling at him from the porch.

"Well, most of the time." He laughs.

Noticing his boss's car Felice runs to it. "Hi, Carlos," he says, trying to catch his breath.

"What's going on?"

"Mariela is mad because I didn't pick up milk for our baby. I'll be right back."

"Do you think it's safe to go in?"

"Ah, she's fine."

"Maybe we should come back another time when things calm down," Katelyn says. She sees the lady walking towards them, lugging a chubby toddler on her hip.

"You can't back out now." Carlos laughs, climbing out of his car.

Katelyn hesitantly follows suit.

"You must be Katelyn, come in, come in," Putting her arm around her shoulders, Mariela guides her to their house.

Carlos hears laughter as they're walking up the stairs. I knew they'd hit it off.

***

"I can't believe I sold all of my pictures," Madeline says, excitedly walking back to Marge's car.

"I told you that your paintings are beautiful. So, where do you want to celebrate?"

"I can't Marge. I need to get back, do some housework and start Stan's supper," she says, glancing at her watch.

"The housework can wait, and I'll get you back in plenty of time to make asshole's supper. No, we're going to do something for you for a change, and I know just the place." She smiles, making a quick right turn.

"I really need to save my money for art supplies."

"This will be my treat," she says, pulling into a small strip mall on the edge of town.

"What is this place?" Madeline asks, looking around.

"It's a day spa."

"I've never been to one of them before."

"You're going to love it, Honey."

***

"Do you think you'll like living there?" Carlo's asks, pulling up to the halfway house.

"I love it already." She turns towards the building. "Do you think I should tell him that I'm leaving?"

"I'd just pack up my stuff and go."

"I hope I can sneak past him."

"Don't worry, I've got it all planned out. Gina is going to go in and distract him while you grab your stuff."

"Do you think she can keep his attention long enough?"

"Believe me, Gina will have him drooling so bad he won't know what to do with himself. Here she comes now."

An attractive blond is walking towards the building. She's wearing a tight, skimpy ensemble that exhibited her slim busty figure nicely.

"Oh yeah, he'll want to hit that." She laughs. She notices a strange look on Carlos' face.

"Don't worry, I'm straight."

"It's none of my business what team you play for. Although, that would explain a lot."

"Just because I don't find you irresistible doesn't mean I'm gay."

"You couldn't handle this anyhow," he says, grabbing his package.

Laughing, she shakes her head.

"Ok, go."

"Are you sure?"

"Go, go."

Katelyn is throwing her belongings into a duffle bag when she hears a loud commotion downstairs.

"This is a raid! I want everyone to put their hands where I can see them."

Scooping up her bag, she runs across the room.

"Freeze, police."

Katelyn sees an officer standing in the doorway, his gun pointing at her. You're not taking me back, she thinks, swinging her legs through the window.

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.