General Fiction posted September 19, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A fun game

Story Cubes

by Heather Knight


Have you ever heard of Rory's Story Cubes? It's a box that contains 9 dice, that is 54 images or more than ten million combinations that you can use to generate stories.

I bought mine in England four years ago when I attended a Writers and Artists event.

This morning, not knowing what to write, I opened mine and threw the little cubes on the table. This is what I got: a sad face, a magic wand, a bubble (like the ones in comics, not a soap bubble), an arrow, an eye, a sheep, a surprised face, two theatre masks and a hand.

This is what I wrote:

Tilly was sad. Her mum and her sisters were in the kitchen talking about the next Witchcraft Tournament, while she sat on the stairs listening.

She wished she hadn't been born different. For some unknown reason, she was the only one in her family who didn't have magical powers and, while nobody seemed to mind, she was jealous of her parents and siblings.

'Why can't I be like the rest of you, Mum?' she used to say every night when her mother came into her room to tuck her in.

'You are. You have black hair like me and blue eyes like Dad and Dorothy. And both you and Milly are great at singing.'

'Don't change the subject, Mum. You know what I mean...'

After many a conversation like this one, when Tilly turned thirteen, her mother finally let her in on an important secret.

'There's something I've never told you,' she said. 'There's a magician in the forest, a very powerful magician. We call him the Almighty Eye because he can predict the future and fix the mistakes of the past. If you follow the arrows stuck to the oak trees by the lane behind our house you will find him. It will take you an hour, but you must travel at dawn and you must do it alone.'

'Thanks, Mum,' Tilly said. She hugged her mum excitedly, thinking that her luck was about to change.

The next morning Tilly's alarm went off at four. She got dressed and left the house silently not to bother anybody.

When she finished her one-hour trip she found herself in a big meadow. It was peaceful and very beautiful, but there was nobody there. Just a snowy white sheep grazing contentedly.

'Hi there, I'm looking for the Almighty Eye. Do you know where I can find him?' Tilly asked.

'You're talking to him,' the sheep said.

Tilly was very surprised, but as she was a very polite girl she did her best to hide her feelings.

'How can I help you?' the sheep asked Tilly.

'Well... I'd like to be a witch like my parents and my sisters.'

'Oh, that's easy...Do you like the theatre?'

'Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?'

'Oh, nothing at all. I was just making conversation.'

Tilly thought that the sheep was a strange creature, but she kept her mouth shut.

'So? Is it possible? Can I become a witch?'

'I think so. Put your hand on my head.'

The sheep closed its eyes and moved its head from side to side.

'All done. You're a witch now. You just have to buy a magic wand and you'll be ready to cast all kinds of spells.'

Tilly said thank you and ran back home. That very day, her mum took her to a wand shop. As soon as they were back home, she cast her first spell... and what do you think happened?

You're right! It worked! Tilly is now a very happy little witch.

Maybe my story is a bit forced, but I have used all the prompts provided by the dice. So in case you are thinking of buying a fun tool for your writings or just to stimulate your imagination, these story cubes are great. I also use them to play with my youngest son sometimes, but instead of writing down the stories we tell them. It's most enjoyable.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.