Biographical Non-Fiction posted September 18, 2017 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Katelyn discovers her fate.

A chapter in the book Demons in My Head

The Verdict

by Mistydawn


Discovering that Katelyn is on a 24-hour lockdown at the mental hospital, and Katie refusing to see her, Madeline wasn't sure what to do with herself. One thing for sure, I don't want to be alone in this empty house any longer than I have to, she shoves a few outfits into her suitcase. She thought she could handle being by herself, but every corner, scuff mark, every scar in the wood held a special memory.

After speaking to her Lawyer about Katelyn's case, she asked about what Stan had said. He told her that her husband would have to prove there is an immediate threat to either him or Katie if an ex parte exclusion order isn't granted. He then went on to say, that the only other way to get her out of their house would be a divorce, but since the house is marital property, it and all of their other assets will be divided between them.

Madeline was all set to stay, claim what's rightfully hers. Then her friend Marge calls and ruins her plans. Of course, Madeline's recollections only adds to her friend's already convincing argument.

~~~

"It's my home too, Marge, and I'll be damned if that bastard is going to kick me out without a fight."

"You know how violent he can get, Madeline. A home even one as nice as yours isn't worth risking your life for."

"It's not about the home, it's about principle, besides, I can take care of myself."

"Like you have in the past? If anyone needs an exclusion order it should be you against him."

Madeline recalls all the times he's beaten her. All of the bruises, broken bones that she's suffered through the years. All the lies he forced her to tell about how she acquired her injuries. She then remembers the little boy she miscarried when Stan pushed her down the steps. She tearfully moves her hand down to her empty stomach. "I'll stay in the apartment above the garage."

"Oh, no you're not, I'm not having you live in that filth. You'll stay here with Rob and me."

"The apartment is clean, Marge; I did it for Katelyn when Stan kicked her out."

"Does it have running water and electricity?"

"A stove and refrigerator too."

"I still don't like this idea, Madeline, living so close to that asshole with no protection."

"I'll be fine, really I will."

"I want you to keep your door locked when he's there, and if he even acts like he's going to break it down I want you to call the police, hear me?"

"I will, Marge," she sighs.

"You promise?"

"Yes, Marge, I promise."

"I'm coming over first thing in the morning to check on you. If I feel like you're in any danger you're coming home with me whether you like it or not, understand?"

"Yes, Marge, I understand."

~~~

I know she means well, but sometimes she can be exhausting. Grabbing her suitcase, Madeline slowly trudges to the door. She sees family photos neatly arranged on their walls when she glances up. Her massive collection starts at the far bedroom. It works its way around their circular hallway and down the steps.

We've had some good times in this house, she tearfully concludes. Running her fingertips around the picture's cherry-colored frame she moves to the next. The events of that day start replaying in her mind as she gazes at the picture.

~~~

It was Katelyn's first day of school and she was bubbling with excitement.

"Hurry up, Daddy," Katelyn says. Grabbing the tail of his jacket, she pulls him towards the door.

Stan almost spills coffee on himself from her sudden tug. "I'm coming princess, I'm coming," he says. Taking one last sip, he places his cup in the saucer.

"Wait, guys, I want a picture."

"Oh, mom," Katelyn says, aggravatedly stomping her foot.

"Say cheese." Katelyn makes an ugly face as Madeline snaps the photo.

"Let's go, Daddy."

"You're not going anywhere until I get a good picture of you two."

"Make it quick, Madeline, I have an appointment in twenty minutes."

"Smile." Madeline quickly snaps a photo.

"Have a good day, Honey," Madeline says as Katelyn bolts out their back door.

~~~

She was your little princess, the apple of your eye until you realized she was mentally ill. Madeline pictures all the time they spent playing in their backyard. How Stan used to chase her around, the way he acted like an overgrown kid. Madeline moves on to the next photo. It was taken on their family vacation. We were so happy then, so happy, she concludes as she continues to scan their pictures. "Where did I go wrong, Oh, where did I go wrong?" she bawls, trudging down the stairs. "I tried to keep peace in our family, I really did, but I failed, I failed. I'm a failure as a mother and a wife. Everything I've ever tried to do has been a big catastrophe. I'm a flop, a disappointment to everyone around me. Oh Lord, why do you let me go on, why? Why was I even born? Maybe I should go somewhere far away from here, from them; from everyone, so I won't screw up any more lives." Grabbing her keys off the table, she heads out the door.

***

Stan was happy to see that neither Madeline nor Katelyn was at their house when he arrived the next morning. He was settling Katie on their couch when someone pounded on the front door. They better not bust it down, he grumbles, quickly walking towards it. He finds Madeline's bothersome friend impatiently tapping her foot when he opens the door.

"Where is she, Stan, is she alright?" Marge asks, rushing past him.

"Where's who?"

"Madeline, where is she?" Realizing the room is empty, she spins back around. "You better not have hurt her Stan," she warns, poking her finger into his hairy chest.

"I didn't do a damn thing to her, Marge."

She starts scanning the house as she pushes past him. "Madeline, honey where are you?" she calls out.

"She's not here, Marge."

"What do you mean she's not here? What did you do to her, Stan, what?" she demands.

"I didn't do anything to her. I haven't seen her since she left the hospital yesterday."

"I better not find out that you hurt her, Stan," she says, glaring into his eyes.

"Aunt Marge," Katie exclaims, running towards her.

"Hi, Honey, how are you feeling?"

"Much better now that daddy gave me some medicine."

"That's good, Honey." Giving Stan an evil eye she continues. "Have you seen your mother today?"

"She wasn't here when we got home."

"Maybe she's visiting Katelyn at the jail." He grins.

"Katelyn didn't go to jail, asshole, she went to the state hospital."

"I hope they keep her forever."

"That's an awful thing to say about your sister, Katie, just awful," Marge scolds.

"Well, that's where she belongs, on a ward with all of the other crazies."

"Maybe they'll lock Madeline in there too." Stan chuckles.

"I hope so, Daddy."

Marge gasps at their response. "I can't believe you two are saying this, after everything that Madeline's done for you. All the sacrifices she's had to make to keep you two ingrates happy. Personally, I don't think either of you deserves someone as wonderful as her." She stomps towards the door, turning back around at the entranceway.

"If I find out you did anything to her, Stan, so help me God..."

"I didn't do anything to that psycho, I swear."

"Then why are the police coming to your door?"

Stan glances up to see two officers stepping onto their porch.

"Mr. Howard, can we talk to you a minute, please?"

"What's this concerning?" he asks, walking towards them.

"Have you spoken to your wife lately?"

"I haven't seen her since she visited Katie at the hospital yesterday, why?"

"We discovered her car at the bottom of a ravine early this morning but she wasn't inside."

"Oh my God, you did hurt her, you did," Marge tearfully blurts out.

"Can I speak to you a minute, Ma'am?" Rachel asks, pulling her onto the porch.

Jerry, Rachel's partner finishes questioning Stan.
 

"Do you have an alibi for last night, someone who will say they saw you?" Jerry asks.

"I've been at the hospital with my daughter all night. So, I imagine any of the staff will say they saw me."

"Daddy slept in a chair right beside my bed." Katie smiles, clinging onto her father's arm.

"You didn't leave the room at all last night?" Jerry questions suspiciously.

"I'd never leave my princess's side." He smiles, glancing lovingly at his daughter.

Jerry's all for the father-daughter bond, but their relationship seems a little bit too cozy for his comfort. "Well, if you hear from her call me," Jerry says, handing him a card.

~~~

"Why do you think he hurt her?" Rachel begins.

"He's very abusive to her and the girls. Well to Madeline and Katelyn, he wouldn't lay a hand on his precious Katie."

"You've seen him hit her?"

"No, but I've witnessed him busting things to pieces when he's angry. I've also seen the bruises, broken bones afterward. Check her hospital records you'll see I'm not lying to you."

"Did she ever tell you he hit her?"

"She always makes up excuses on how she got hurt, but I've worked with a lot of battered women, I know all of their excuses, the signs."

"What is your name?" Rachel questions, glancing up from her notebook.

"'I'm Marge Tucker, Madeline's best friend."

"I'll be sure to look into it, Marge. If you hear from her, please have her call the station."

"I will, Officer."


***

Rachel is skimming through page after page of hospital reports as she walks towards her desk. I wonder why we weren't notified? She wonders as she continues to read.

The hospital has a legal obligation to report suspected abuse, yet many don't get reported because of the confusion between the HIPPA laws, the patient's right to confidentiality, and state laws.

"Marge is right, Jerry, Madeline has been in the ER numerous times this year."

"I've talked to the hospital staff and they all claim that Stan didn't leave Katie's side for a minute."

"I still believe he has something to do with her disappearance."

"I do too, Sergeant, but unless we can find something to dispute his alibis, or find evidence to support our opinion there's nothing we can do."

"I know Jerry, I know," she gloomily replies, plopping down at her desk.

***

Katie is healing nicely, but strangely enough, she doesn't seem a bit concerned about her mom's disappearance, or the fact that her sister's trial is going sideways.

Many believe that Katelyn's lawyer botched up her case. For every expert witness her attorney called, the DA had two that conflicted their findings. The one solid piece of evidence Jack was relying on to support Katelyn's case wouldn't pass the Frye standard, that it's generally accepted, which makes it inadmissible.

"All rise, the court is now in session."

Katelyn glances at her lawyer as she nervously stands up.

"I'll file an appeal as soon as this is over," Jack whispers, already certain of the outcome.

"You may be seated. Has the jury reached a verdict?"

"Yes, your Honor."

Taking a piece of paper out of the forelady's hand, the bailiff hands it to the judge. Reading it, the judge hands it back.

"What say ye?"

"We the people find Katelyn Rose Howard guilty of aggravated assault."

"No, please don't do this to me, please. I can't go to prison I just can't. Can't you see I'm sick, that I need help? I need help, I need help," Katelyn cries.

"Bailiff, remove her from my courtroom," the judge orders.

Two officers grab a hold of Katelyn.

"Leave me alone, leave me alone," she screams as they're leading her towards the door. Glancing over, Katelyn sees a smile on Katie's face as she clings onto her father's arm.

"I hope you're happy Katie, I hope you're fucking happy," Katelyn screams as she's shoved through the door.



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.