Biographical Non-Fiction posted September 10, 2017 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A few bad decisions lead Katelyn down the wrong path.

A chapter in the book Demons in My Head

Bad Choices

by Mistydawn


Katelyn stumbles into their house at three in the morning, still strung out from partying the night before. This has been her routine for the last few months. Ever since her dad gave her an ultimatum, to either find a job or another place to live. She's even come up with the perfect cover for her revelry. Katelyn has her parents believing that she works third-shift at the chicken plant, flashing her friend's paycheck stub and a little money when they question her. Cash she's earned from selling her lover's drugs.

I didn't know working at the factory could be so much fun. She giggles, bumping into a small end table. "Who put that there?" She chuckles, staggering towards the stairs.

Lucas, her lover, introduced her to a new line of pharmaceuticals, pills she's never heard of. Although, she enjoys their high, his white powder is her favorite. This, coupled with his wild love making stirs a hunger, a lust deep inside her. A yearning she didn't know existed. Sometimes, it gets so intense; she thinks she's going to lose her mind.

She's halfway up the stairs when the hall light flips on. Squinting from the sudden brightness, she glances up.

"Hi, Daddy," she hiccups, weaving back and forth. Feeling like she's about to fall, she grabs the banister for support.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, coming in so late?"

"I'm just getting home from work," she smirks.

"Your foreman told us that you haven't worked there in weeks."

"Yes I have, Daddy, I even have check stubs to prove it."

"Don't you mean your friend's check stubs?" he asks, holding up a small piece of paper he continues, "I know all about your little con, Katelyn."

"I can explain, Daddy. I ah..."

Stan raises his hand to stop her. "I will not tolerate you lying to me, Katelyn."

"I'll never do it again, Daddy, I promise," she tearfully blurts out.

"Damn right you won't. I want you to pack up your shit and go."

"But, Daddy," she protests.

"You heard me, Katelyn; I want you out of my house by the time I get home tonight."

"Don't you think you're being a little hard on her, Stan?" Madeline questions, stepping up beside him. She's had to be the go-between for years.

He spins around. "I will not tolerate you undermining my authority any longer, Madeline," he furiously states, slapping her across the face.

Turning, Madeline timidly places a hand on her throbbing cheek.

"Do I make myself clear?" he questions, balling up his fist.

Madeline glares at him, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Yes, Stan." Bastard. This isn't the first time he's taken his anger out on her, nor will it be his last.

"I'll go, Daddy, I'll go," Katelyn cries, stumbling back down the stairs.

"You have until tonight to find somewhere to live," he says, marching down the hall.

***

Madeline has been working on the storage area above their garage all day. She figures that if Katelyn is careful, she can live there undetected for a few weeks. That should give her enough time to get a job.

"It's almost 4:00, Katelyn," Madeline says, shaking her slumbering daughter.

"Not now, Lucas."

Lucas? "Honey, it's mom, you need to wake up before your dad gets home."

"Fine." She rolls on her back, exposing her pale naked body.

Shocked by all of the bruises, Madeline shakes her again. "Katelyn, honey, wake up, we need to talk."

Katelyn sees her mom standing over her when she opens her eyes. Realizing she's naked, she pulls the covers around her. "What, mom?"

"How did you get all of those bruises, Honey?"

"I fell."

"Did Lucas do that to you?"

"How do you know about him?" she questions, securing the covers in front of her, she sits up.

Madeline sees bruises running down her spine. "You muttered his name in your sleep."

"Oh." She smiles.

"Who's Lucas?"

"He's just a guy I know." She pictures his well-toned body standing naked in the doorway. A hot sex machine, she smiles, feeling the burning desire between her legs.

"No man has the right to lay his hands on you, Honey."

"You're one to talk."

"What happened between your father and I is different, I shouldn't have misspoken."

"He'd like it if you didn't speak at all."

"Well, he's going to be home soon, so we need to get you out of here."

Katelyn was hoping she'd managed to change his mind. "I don't have anywhere to live," she cries.

"Yes, you do, get dressed and I'll show you."

A few minutes later, the two slip out their back door.

"You want me to stay in the garage?" she alarmingly questions. It started out as a garage but turned into a storage unit through the years.

"No, silly, you'll be staying in the apartment above it."

Grabbing her hand, she pulls Katelyn towards the stairs.

"I'm not living in that clutter."

"For God's sakes, Katelyn, come on." Aggravated, Madeline pulls her up the remaining steps. "Well, what do you think?" she asks, throwing the door open.

"You did this for me?"

"Do you like?"

"I love it, but what will he say about me staying out here?"

"If you're careful, he'll never know."

"I hope you're right."

"I do too." Lifting up her hand, Madeline touches her swollen cheek. "He might let you move back in when you find another job."

"Or maybe I can rent this place," she says, plopping on the couch.

Laughing, Madeline glances at her watch. "You have just enough time to pack a few things and get back here before your father gets home."

"Katie doesn't know about this, does she?"

"Of course not." They found out a long time ago anything they tell her goes straight to Stan.

"You get some clothes together and I'll get you some food," Madeline instructs, walking towards the house.

Katie is sitting at the table when they step inside.

"Hi, Honey, how was school today?"

"It was the usual crap. Isn't she supposed to be gone by now?"

"Don't worry, you'll have Daddy to yourself soon," Katelyn sarcastically replies.

"I can't wait. I think I'll ask him for your room." Seeing Katelyn getting angry she smiles.

"You have to stop her, Mom."

"She won't touch your room, Honey."

"We'll just see what Dad has to say about it." Katie gives her mom a sassy, you can't do anything about it look.

She's right, Stan will give her whatever she asks for, despite my protests. Madeline gloomily concludes. "That's enough, Katie. Katelyn, you better get a move on if you want to get your things packed before Marge gets here." She winks at Katelyn.

"Aunt Marge is coming?"

"Yeah, she's taking me to my new apartment, the one above her garage that you like so well. Have fun with Daddy, squirt." She messes up Katie's hair as she walks past.

"I better make sure she doesn't steal my stuff," she says, jumping up from her chair.

"Don't go causing any trouble," Madeline warns.

Smiling, Katie bolts out the door.

Madeline is bagging up some food when she hears a commotion upstairs. I knew I should've kept them separated.

 When she reaches the landing, Madeline sees Katelyn sitting on top of her sister. "Stop it; Stop it, right now," she screams, running towards her girls.

Katelyn slowly turns towards her mother, an evil look in her eyes.

Seeing her daughter's face, Madeline freezes in mid-step.

"Honey, I'm home," Stan announces, closing the door behind him.

"Help me, Daddy; please help me," Katie begs.

He sees Katelyn sitting on top of Kate's bleeding body when he dashes upstairs. Running over, Stan pushes Katelyn away.

Katelyn starts pounding on her father as he scoops Katie off the floor.

"You should've stopped her, Madeline," Stan hisses, rushing past her.

"I tried, Stan."

"You were standing there watching when I came up," he screams, marching down the stairs.

Reaching the front door, Stan spins back around. "This is the last straw, Madeline, the last straw! I want you and that demonic teenager out of my house," he orders.

"Oh please, don't do this, Stan," she cries, running to the porch. "Please, don't let our marriage end this way," she bawls, watching his tail lights vanish down the road. Madeline starts to turn towards their house when a patrol car pulls into the drive. Not now, she gloomily concludes, wiping tears off her face. Taking a deep breath, she begins.

"Can I help you, officer?"

"We got a disturbance call from one of your neighbors," Rachel explains, walking to the porch.

"The girls got into an argument, but it's over now."

"I'd like to talk to them, please."

"Katie isn't here, she just left with her dad."

"Can I speak to your other daughter?" Glancing at her notebook, she continues, "Katelyn, please?"

"Did dad send you here to escort me off his property?" Katelyn asks, walking down the steps.

Rachel sees blood on her T-shirt and her swollen knuckles. She then notices a red trail leading down their stairway to the front door.

"Where did all this blood come from?" Rachel questions.

"It's mine; I had a nose bleed earlier and must have got some on my shirt," Katelyn says.

"What about your knuckles?" Rachel points to her hand.

"I did that when I punched a wall."

"Did you and your sister get into a fight, earlier?"

"Yeah, she borrowed some of my clothes without asking; I got mad, and started yelling at her."

"Did you hit her?"

"I wanted to, but, I hit a wall instead."

"Can I talk to you a second, Sergeant?" Her partner asks, walking across the lawn. 

"Don't go anywhere," Rachel instructs, following her partner. "What is it, Jerry?"

"Captain just got a call from Stan Howard. Evidently, he's rushing Katie to the hospital because Katelyn beat her up. Kirk is meeting him there to get a formal statement."

"What does our Captain want us to do in the meantime?"

"He wants us to arrest Katelyn for aggravated assault."

"I'll handle it," she says, walking back to the porch.

"Katelyn Howard, you're under arrest for aggravated assault."

"I didn't do anything! Mom, please tell them that I didn't do anything."

"No, don't take her away," Madeline begs, watching the detective secure handcuffs in place.

"Please tell them it wasn't my fault, that I have a condition, please mom, please tell them," Katelyn tearfully begs as she's being escorted out the door.
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.