Biographical Non-Fiction posted September 2, 2017 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Katelyn's news tears her world apart.

A chapter in the book Demons in My Head

Falling to Pieces

by Mistydawn


The following weeks are very busy for Katelyn and her mother as they diligently prepare for the wedding. Just when they think they have it all figured out a problem arises and they have to start all over.

A secretary from the wedding chapel was the first to spoil their plans. Apologetically she calls, saying they're overbooked, but can do it the next day. Deciding to postpone their celebration until the following week, they start informing every one of these changes.

Madeline finds that the printers are so backlogged they haven't begun. Hoping her luck continues, she quickly informs her florist.

The owner informs her they can't do it that day, referring her to another business. The second flower shop is willing to do it for twice the cost. This extra expense throws their budget awry. After reworking their disbursal several times, Madeline manages to squeeze it in.

She then calls their caterer who informs her he'll be out of town that week, suggesting another business. Once this is settled and their dinner carefully planned, they discover John's parents are vegans. Something John assumed Katelyn already knew.

"We'll just serve them something different, honey. I'm sure our caterer won't mind."

"I swear if one more thing goes wrong John and I will just elope," she screams, stomping upstairs.

"You're having this wedding whether you like it or not, Katelyn Rose." Madeline wasn't sure which is more exhausting, planning Katlyn's wedding or fighting with her over every detail.

"I can't get a damn thing done with you two cackling like a bunch of old hens," Stan yells from the doorway. Marching back into his study, he slams the door. She hears Katie close her door, followed soon after by Katelyn.

"Why don't we all slam doors," Madeline yells. She hears the girl's door open then slam again.

"Is everything alright, Mrs. H?" John asks, nervously stepping inside.

"Katelyn is having another one of her fits," she says, plopping down on the couch. Her emotions are in such disarray, she feels like crying and screaming at the same time.

"I'll go see if I can calm her down," he says, running upstairs.

Madeline is working on seating arrangements when she sees John and Katelyn laughing as they're walking down the stairs.

"I'm sorry I acted like such a child, mom." Smiling at John she continues, "Do you need help with anything?"

"No, I think I've got it all worked out now."

"Is it alright if I watch a movie at John's house?"

"Go, have fun," Madeline says. She figures she can get more done when Katelyn isn't disputing every little thing she does.

***

Katelyn and John are snuggling on the couch waiting for their favorite movie to start. It's these tranquil times that helps Katelyn get through the tedious weeks.

Although she takes all of her meds, she occasionally hears soft whispers of the voices in her head. Sometimes, she'll see something and wonder if it's real. Every once in a while an irrational thought will creep into her head. It's John's love and support that helps her work through these lingering symptoms.

"We'll be watching TV in our own house soon, Katelyn," John says, cuddling up closer.

"I can't wait."

"Me either." Glancing around, he continues. "Upgrading from my basement apartment is long overdue."

"I like your room." He has the furniture arranged so it looks like two smaller rooms instead of one huge area. The front section contains a worn out sofa, matching recliner, and an older model TV. A partition separates it from the back which holds his bed and dresser.

"My parents won't be back for a couple of hours." Leaning in closer, he moves his hand down her sexy body.

"Whatever do you have in mind?" She smiles, feeling his fingers slide inside her panties.

"This." Leaning over, he starts kissing her as he massages her button.

"I like how you think," she moans, kissing him again.

***

Katelyn is startled awake by a loud bang. Glancing around, she realizes she's still in John's bedroom. She hears someone shuffling around upstairs, followed by a door slamming too. She then sees the kitchen light gleaming down the stairs.

"John, wake up, your parents are home," she whispers.

"Huh, what?" he groggily asks.

"Your parents are home." Scooping her clothes off the floor, she starts throwing them on. Being very religious, his parents will come unglued if they find her naked in his room. She sure doesn't want their marriage to start off with resentment.

"My parents, oh my God, my parents are back." Springing out of bed, he grabs his pants and throws them on. Looking over, he sees Katelyn fumbling with the tiny buttons on her blouse. Good luck with that, he thinks, remembering how he struggled to get them undone. Of course, his excitement and her roaming hands didn't help his fumbling fingers.

"Son, something's come up and we need to talk about it," his father replies, clomping down the stairs.

John sees Katelyn shimmying out of the small window when he nervously glances across the room. I hope she hurries. Looking back, he sees his father walking down the remaining stairs.

***

Climbing through her bedroom window, Katelyn grabs her cell phone and quickly dials John's number.

All the furnishings in her room are antiques, from the vibrant three tiered vanity table to the colorful bed and its matching dresser. Her mother found the set at a flea market when she was little.

 Oh, why isn't he answering? Hanging up, she tries again. He doesn't pick up the second time either. I hope he didn't get into too much trouble. Sighing, connecting the phone to the charger. Hearing her mom walking down the hall, she scrambles to her bed. Mom will come apart if she finds out that I'm just getting home. Katelyn pulls the covers over herself as Madeline opens her door.

"Love you, sweetheart," Madeline replies, gently pulling her door to.

"You too, mom," she whispers. Katelyn starts thinking about how wonderful she and John's lovemaking is. How their bodies, their souls seem to magically intertwine into one. The amazing feeling she gets afterward, a euphoria, like this is the way it's meant to be. Imagining his muscular arms wrapped around her, she drifts off into a deep peaceful sleep.

***

Katelyn wakes up to find the morning sun shining through the window. I need to call John, see if he's alright. She unplugs her cell and quickly dials his number. Her call goes straight to voicemail. Something is definitely wrong.

"You better hurry if you don't want to be late for work," her mother yells through her door.

Grabbing clean clothes out of the closet, she quickly throws them on.

"No time for breakfast," Katelyn says, dashing downstairs.

"At least eat some peanut butter toast." Madeline hands her a piece of bread. Snatching it out of her mother's hands, Katelyn darts outside.

"Have a great day," Madeline yells, watching her daughter rush across their lawn.

"You too, mom."

Running over to John's house, she breathlessly knocks on the door. Come on, come on, someone, anyone, please answer the door, she begs, knocking louder. This isn't like them at all, she thinks, checking to see if it's locked. Feeling the knob turn in her hand, she opens the door just a tad.

"Hello, is anybody home?" There's no reply.

"John, Wanda, Bill?" No one answers.

"Someone, please answer me," she begs. Their house remains perfectly still. She gets this overwhelming feeling of dread like something is terribly wrong. Unable to contain herself any longer, she bursts through the door.

Katelyn first notices an assortment of items scattered across the floor. Looking around, she sees bare walls where pictures used to be. Glancing into the dining room, she discovers their tableware is missing as well. Running to the basement, she darts down the stairs.

It looks like his room was hit by a natural disaster, she concludes. She sees a trail of clothes scattered across the floor. Looking over, she notices his closet doors standing open, nothing remains inside. What is going on? She's trying to make sense of the situation when she sees a piece of paper taped to the window. Snatching it up, she starts to read.

Dearest Katelyn

My Mom and Dad were run off the road last night. The FBI believes it was an attempt on their life, carried out by the same ones that were after us in Chicago. The police think it's best if we move to a safer location with new names, identities like we did before. I begged them to let me bring you too. Believe me, Katelyn, I pleaded relentlessly with them for hours. I even asked them to let me stay, but they wouldn't agree. I promise you, Katelyn, that I'll come back for you, as soon as we get settled.

Until then, I want you to know I've treasured every second we've spent together. It's these precious memories stored deep in my heart that'll help me get through the tough times ahead.

If you ever feel sad, just remember, you have someone who will always love you no matter how far apart we are. You're in my thoughts, hopes, and dreams now and forever. You are and always will be my one and only, my true love, my soul mate for life. Nothing, not even time or distance will ever change how I feel.

Love you forever and always with all my heart.

John

She reads the letter over again, hoping she's misunderstood.  Anger and betrayal flood her senses as she reviews his note.  

"You promised you'd stay with me forever, John, forever! Didn't that mean anything to you, didn't it?" she yells, pacing across the floor. "What about all the nights we spent together making love? Didn't you feel something then? Please, John, please tell me I meant something to you, that I was more than a lay," she sobs, collapsing on his bed.

The voices in her head start laughing.

"Stop that," she screams.

"You should've known better, Katelyn. Letting someone get close to you like that, all the empty promises and the hollow I love you's. John had you falling head over heels, didn't he? You should've realized he's only saying those things to get in your pants."

"No, he didn't."

"Yes, he did. You're nothing more than a pathetic loser, Katelyn, a nobody and that's what you'll always be." The voice chuckles.

"Shut up," Katelyn screams.

"You can deny it all you want, but you know it's true, don't you?"

"You're wrong, John does love me. He does, he does," she bawls. Remembering what she learned in therapy about controlling her voices, she starts concentrating on the memories of her and John. Their walks home from school, picnics in the park, walking hand in hand down by the lake under the starry sky. All the nights they spent cuddling on his couch, watching their favorite shows, his romantic proposal and their hot passionate sex that followed.

"Why did you have to leave me, John, why? How will I ever survive without you? You're my rock, my everything; I can't possibly go on if you're not by my side. I can't, I just can't," she sobs, cuddling his pillow.


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.