General Fiction posted August 28, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Flash Fiction. 150 words.

Divine Intervention

by Heather Knight


Melinda loved telling everybody she was an atheist. It made her feel different. Stronger and independent somehow.

Her best friend, Lucy, was just the opposite. She wore her religion on her sleeve for the whole world to see.

They usually tried to avoid the topic, as neither of them liked confrontation, but one Friday at a bar, after a few drinks, Melinda told Lucy about a new coworker who believed in angels.

'What a stupid woman!' she said, making a face.

'Well, who knows? I like to think I have a guardian angel,' Lucy told her.

'Oh come on!'

Just then, Melinda noticed Lucy staring at her, so she looked at herself in the mirror behind them... To her surprise, she saw white wings sprouting on her back...

'And how do you explain that?' Lucy asked with a smile.

Melinda fainted. The feathery appendages cushioned her fall. Divine intervention?



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.