Writing Non-Fiction posted August 23, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Where do you look to find yourself?

Gone

by BunnyS


I haven't written anything in over two years... and for the first time in my life, my mind is as blank as the page in front of me. I let my FanStory membership expire last year sometime and, though I missed being a part of the awesome group of writers on this site, I was relieved that I didn't have to meet a deadline or write something creative or emotional when I felt as though I had lost the ability to feel either. The truth of the matter, and my true story is, that I have lost the ability to write. It makes my heart hurt to even say such a thing, but it's true.

Over the past couple of years my family and I have gone through a lot, things that I won't bore you with, but a multitude of challenges that have stripped me of my spirit and stolen away the very thing that has always kept me upright and sane. My writing. It's what I turned to as a child to quietly protest my parents' divorce, how I made it through high school, and the only light in what seemed like inescapable darkness, as I lost loved ones that I somehow didn't think I would ever lose. But now, my only escape has disappeared.

Next month marks the second anniversary of my very close friend and neighbor passing away. Ev was like a grandmother to my children and a second mom to me after mine passed. More than anything, she was my muse, my biggest fan. Each time I wrote a story I would email it to her, or take it over to her house so that she could read it. She offered constructive criticism when I needed it but mostly she encouraged me. As she got older, she went to live in a senior living facility. She could no longer see well enough to read so I would take my stories with me when I went to visit, and read them to her. She would lean back and close her eyes and listen to me read, never tiring of my stories or new ideas I had for the next adventure. She loved historical fiction so I always made sure I got my facts right. She definitely would have called me on it if I had gotten something wrong! When she passed, a part of my confidence passed with her. I feel like I lost a part of the reason I enjoyed writing... I haven't written anything since the week before she went home to be with the Lord.

I have tried so hard to think of a story for this writing contest. The problem used to be too many ideas, and not knowing which one to choose. I remember the excitement of a new story as it pulled itself together inside my head. I remember the feeling of becoming each of my characters and researching to make sure I got the historical facts correct. (I couldn't let Ev down) The ideas and story lines would run through my mind faster than I could type and often I was transported to another world. Writing always was an escape from the real world and it made life a little easier.

So, here I am. I reserved a spot in this contest and felt I needed to submit something. Though this story is true to the spirit of the contest, it surely isn't the kind of story that I ever thought I would write. I always thought it was silly when I heard people say they needed to find themselves. It never made sense to me. But then, I never thought I would ever lose "me". Sadly, it makes a lot of sense to me now. The question is, how do I find this person I used to be?



True Story contest entry


I appreciate you taking the time to read my story. It's not a story I ever thought I would write. If anyone has ever gone through this, I would sure appreciate learning how you made it through. Thank you so much for taking the time...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BunnyS All rights reserved.
BunnyS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.