General Non-Fiction posted August 22, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A birthday to remember

Old Boards and Memories

by Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens


Old Shingle boards from houses we were born and raised in, and memories, have a lot in common. As they age they seem to become more dear, the older the better.

On August the 8th, I reached the ripe age of seventy-one. As I am the ninth in a family of ten, I arrived at that age feeling especially blessed, as five of my sisters are still tagging along with me. We're all 'little ole ladies' ranging in age from eighty-seven down to sixty-seven. We, like old shingle boards on old houses, refuse to feel old. We have weathered illnesses and grief, we battle arthritis, we have adjusted to false teeth and a few false eyelashes, and whatever else life has chosen to deal us. We like to think we have met those challenges with love for God, each other and a good dose of grace.

We have grown dim of eye, hard of hearing, and perhaps even a bit dim-witted as well, but we choose not to admit it. We so enjoy getting together. As a birthday treat, my sister Barb hosted a 'Jammie party' for us in her Kentucky home. It lasted several days !!! We laughed until we cried, or peed our pants, whichever came first. We sang Gospel, ate until we waddled, and painted on old boards.

Project Deaton, yes, old shingles and memories, they do have a lot in common.



True Story contest entry


My maiden name is Deaton. We all come from good genes and tend to live long lives. Mother was almost ninety-eight. Oh, to be like her, the strongest woman I have ever met. I love my family and the sisters I'm so blessed to have and enjoy. The picture on the board is of Mother and Dads 50th anniversary, all ten of us were there. Thank you Lord for memories and old boards.

suggested word count, at least 100.. approximate word count 251
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens All rights reserved.
Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.