Writing Non-Fiction posted August 9, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Rejecting plastic bags for fabric bags

Proper Supermarket-shopping bags

by LittleIrishman

Deciding to use fabric bags instead of plastic bags when shopping, can be a mixed sort of affair.
Both fabric bags and plastic bags have their good points and bad points.

Overseas-Australian Supermarket chain, ALDI, as stopped the use of plastic bags, selecting tougher re-usable plastic bags at 15c, and proper fabric bags at $1. Money is an issue here in ALDI, despite being relatively cheap, with customers not wanting to depart with their beloved money, or are forgetful and negligent.

The ALDI 15c hard plastic bag is quite strong, but not exactly full-proof if over filled. The beauty and strength of a fabric bag is that it is re-usable, can generally take a lot of products, and is environmentally-friendly.

The fact that ALDI has cheaper, affordable products on sale, this makes customers' money stretch further, and hence use more shopping bags (plastic and or fabric).

A shopper may even forget to bring their fabric bags, and might have to use the available plastic bags again, carry it themselves, or use a trolley to bring the shopping to their motor vehicle.

Other large Australian Supermarket chains, Woolworths, Coles, and IGA, all still use plastic bags for their customers. However, these stores do offer fabric bags, but a shopper-customer would have to purposefully look and or ask for them, and they can tend to be a bit more expensive.

It is a good thing, and point of relations by working in together, how Woolworths, Coles, and IGA, still accept bags from ALDI. It is most probably the stores helping one another, as more people flock to cheaper stores like ALDI.

Plastic bags are mostly put into garbage and recycling bins, at peoples' private households, in bins at shopping centres, and bins in public areas.

Most people generally use and dispose of standard plastic bags properly. The problem exists when that few select of people misuse, toss, or drop plastic bags carelessly, negligently, and incorrectly. Some plastic bags can choke plants, and effect animals and wildlife.

Then there is some assistance with the problem-issue of rubbishing and or recycling plastic bags. This task is dealt with by local council cleaners, external business cleaners, recycling businesses, and the odd, isolated events like local Australian Ian Kiernan's annual, 'Clean Up Australia Day'.

Bibliography
- Personal Experiences:
My family are customers of ALDI and Woolworths, and use both the ALDI hard-plastic bags and fabric bags. We sometimes resort to the general plastic bags, if forgotten or for convenience. But we properly dispose of these plastic bags, either sometimes as rubbish for the home garbage bin, or placed in our home recycling bin.
- The Daily Telegraph (July 17, 2017) 'Supermarkets bag ban may not be so good for environment'


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LittleIrishman All rights reserved.
LittleIrishman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.