Romance Fiction posted July 28, 2017 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...Jenny takes a pregnancy test

A chapter in the book The Products of Love

Failing a Test

by Mustang Patty




Background
'The Products of Love' is the story of Jenny and Ron. Their love affair started out so sweet, and then life stepped in and things got rocky. Can this deep connection ever be broken?





The story so far…
 
Jenny and Ron met on their way to work in the shipyard.  He worked at one end of the shipyard and she worked in a building closer to the gate they went in together.  After flirting and talking for several weeks, Ron finally asked Jenny out.
 
Their first date was magical, and it was the beginning of a wonderful six months or so of dating.  Jenny warned Ron that there wouldn't be any sex until they were in a committed relationship.  She remained true to her word.  Ron finally told her he loved her and expressed his belief that they had something that would last.
 
The feelings of elation for Jenny were dispelled the very next day.  She arrived at Ron's house, after ignoring her ringing phone as she left the house.  When she let herself in, she found Ron sitting with a strange woman.  Unbeknown to her, this was Ron' half-sister who had been blackmailing him for years.
 
She left the house with a broken heart, and Ron didn't follow her.  He was at a total loss as to what to do.
 
The misunderstandings continued and the couple drifted further and further apart.
 

From the last chapter:
Watching the door close behind the man she had once loved with all her heart absolutely destroyed her.  She let the tears begin to flow and emotions ran through her body.  As the adrenaline dissolved, she felt herself going limp.  She crumpled to the floor and released her sadness, anger, shame, and feelings of loss.
 
A good cry would usually help, but all Jenny felt was nauseous.  Running to the bathroom, she felt everything she'd eaten that day come up and out.  Lying on the floor with her head against the cold porcelain of the toilet, she realized it was over.
 
Sick, tired, and feeling depleted, she did the only thing she could do.  She decided to hate him.  If she felt that way, she could move on.
 
----------@>>

It felt like it was taking forever for Patty to get to her apartment.  Jenny continually looked out the window for Patty's bright orange VW bug.  Her palms were sweaty and her heart was beating unusually fast.  So much was at stake.
 
Last night, she and Patty hatched a plan.  Since Bremerton was such a small town and you couldn't go anywhere where you wouldn't run into someone from the shipyard, they both knew to purchase a pregnancy test, Patty would have to go to Tacoma.  The test was bought, and now she just needed to follow the directions of the mini science kit to find out if she was indeed pregnant.
 
Of course, she realized all the signs were there.  Maybe she purposely ignored the symptoms.  What if she were pregnant?  Would that change things?  She wouldn't allow herself to think about it.  There would be an answer within the next hour.
 
Hearing the whining engine of Patty's car, Jenny felt herself relax a little.  She looked at the container holding her 'first morning's urine,' and hoped there was enough.  Patty hadn't told her how much urine they would need for the test.  She'd only read from the directions a bit, and both women were questioning whether they could follow the complex instructions.
 
"I'm so glad you're finally here," Jenny whimpered as she let Patty into the apartment.
 
"Finally?  Jenny, it's only seven o'clock on a Saturday morning.  I should be asleep for at least another hour or so."
 
"Okay.  Let's get started.  Should we do the test in the bathroom?"
 
"Yeah, that would probably be best."
 
They set up the little test kit, and followed the directions.  They needed to wait a full thirty minutes to see if a small ring would form at the bottom of the test tube.  A mirror was on the bottom of the stand to help see whether one would show up or not.  Jenny set the timer in her kitchen and both women just looked at one another.
 
"What are we going to do for half an hour?"
 
"Why don't we make a pot of coffee?  I know I could use some."  Patty flopped on the couch and thought of the best way she could distract her friend while they waited.
 
"Jenny, did you bring home any of the coding we were working on this week?"
 
"No, we decided we weren't going to do that anymore, remember?"
 
"Okay.  Do you have the latest People magazine?" she asked hopefully.
 
"Yeah.  It was in yesterday's mail.  Why?"
 
"I'm sure we can find enough celebrity gossip to fill up the time we need to wait.  Don't you think?"
 
Jenny retrieved the copy of People and they sat on the couch and read about the rising star, Tom Cruise, his new movie, "Risky Business," and the release of Michael Jackson's new album, 'Thriller.'  They looked at all the pictures depicting what to wear and what not.  They began to laugh and then the timer in the kitchen went off.
 
The laughter abruptly stopped.  Jenny cringed and looked at her friend, "Would you mind going in there to look?  I don't think I can."
 
Patty disappeared into the bathroom and came back about two minutes later.  "Yes, we have a ring.  You, my dear, are definitely pregnant."
 
Even though she expected it, Jenny felt her stomach drop.  She was going to have a baby. 

Despite everything that had happened, it was a child she created with a man she loved, even if she wasn't sure if he truly loved her.  Her heart was already forming an attachment to the little being she carried within.
 
"Oh no."
 
"What?" said Patty, as she joined her friend on the couch.  She put an arm around her to offer some comfort.
 
"How am I going to tell Ron?  We aren't even speaking.  I just can't believe this happened after one time.  This is so bad."
 
"You do have to tell him.  It needs to be soon, but it doesn't have to be right this minute.  You need to give yourself some time.  What do you plan to do?"
 
"Do?" asked Jenny.  "I'm going to have the baby, why?"
 
"Well, Roe versus Wade was legalized, and now, you have choices.  Do you want to have the baby?"
 
"I can't believe you would even bring that up.  Of course, I want to have this baby.  Maybe Ron will be excited.  Maybe we will find a way to work things out.  Maybe…"
 
"Don't set yourself up for disappointment.  I'm bringing it up because he hasn't been the greatest guy you've ever dated.  Not even close.  In fact, he has been a jerk ever since you guys had sex.  You may have to bring up this baby by yourself."
 
"Maybe I should call him now.  With you here, I can get through it…no matter what he says."
 
She went to the phone and dialed Ron's number.  He picked up after two rings, so she knew he had been up for a while.  "Hi Ron.  It's Jenny.  I have something to tell you."
 
   
 
 



Recognized


thank you for the wonderful artwork, ILV Granuaile by Susan F. M. T. It is the perfect compliment to this story about love in the shipyard.

Cast of Characters;

Jenny Austin - our protagonist. A young woman who works in the shipyard and has fallen in love.

Ron Grimsely - A confused young man who isn't really sure how to handle his first time in love.

Patty - Jenny's best friend - 'me'
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Susan F. M. T. at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.