General Fiction posted July 18, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A modern fairy tale.

Pearl & The Unoriginal Biker

by Heather Knight


Pearl sat inside her gold tower, looking out at the world. The tower had a huge window with no bars, but there were no doors or stairs to go out.

Pearl was a beautiful girl. Her eyes were hazel brown and her hair was golden. She cropped it short every few weeks to keep it clean. The style made her look impish and sweet at the same time. She wore a tattered blue gown and silver slippers on her dainty feet.

She didn't know how long she had been there, but she guessed it was about five years. A bad witch had kidnapped her and locked her in the tower to punish her father, the king.

Nobody knew where she was. The tower was in the middle of a forest. There were brambles and tall oaks all around.

The inside of the tower was relatively comfortable. Pearl's bed had a soft mattress and there were books on a shelf. She had read them all already and had just started rereading Shakespeare's plays to pass the time.

A crow who worked for the bad witch brought her food every day in a little sack. It was usually stale bread and ham and sometimes milk.

Pearl had been sad at the beginning. She missed her parents and her sister, but eventually she got used to her new life.

One day, while she was washing at the little sink by her bed, she heard a strange booming sound.

She ran to the window and saw a motorbike and a man wearing a bright red helmet.

The man looked up, surprised, and asked, 'Hello, who are you? You remind me of that princess in the story. What was her name... Rapunzel...'

'Oh, that's my aunt. My name is Pearl.'

'Pleased to meet you, Pearl. I'm Donald. Do you want me to save you?'

'I don't need saving. I'm a twenty-first century princess.'

'Oh, suit yourself then,' the guy said. He was slightly miffed.

'I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I have read a lot of feminist manifestos in my time here, you know.'

'No worries. Is there anything I can do for you? Send a message...?'

'I'd like you to come up and keep me company, but...'

'I can climb up your braid, like the guy in the story.'

'Have you looked at my hair? Now I understand why Aunt Rapunzel always insisted long hair was better.'

Donald was starting to wish he had never come into the forest. The situation was becoming pretty uncomfortable for him, he had never been too good at talking to women.

'So...' he said.

'Maybe you could tell my parents where I am.'

'I can do that. Where do they live?'

Pearl gave him directions and then said, 'Tell them to send me a crane so that I can go down, will you? Or a helicopter.'

'I will.'

Donald rode away and Pearl sat down. She was really excited. She was going to see her family again!

A week went past. And then two... Pearl wondered why her parents didn't come to rescue her.

And this is where you come in. How would you finish this story if you had written it yourself?

I'm looking forward to reading your contributions.




 



Recognized


I'll post the rest of the story tomorrow.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.