General Poetry posted July 14, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An old tale retold

Dreams Revisited

by frogbook



Her dreams are hidden in an unmarked grave; no one knows where.
Meanwhile she lives day to day without her soul, secrets all laid bare.
Born into a life of royalty, there's no choice but to do as she's told,
a cruel father, selfish, bereft of love, cares only for riches and gold.

A prearranged marriage, a man of pompous air, so crass and so bold,
each time she hears him speak, she cringes, his touch feels icy cold.
A sadness envelopes her heart like a vice, pervasive and so strong,
her mind speaks to her of taking her life, though she knows it's wrong.

She thinks back to that day, when first she gazed upon his handsome face,
for a moment, a smile reaches her lips, fingers softly caress the piece of lace.
A bow, he pulled from her silky hair, a tangible reminder she secretly keeps,
but the sweet memory leaves her, real life intrudes, head hangs and she weeps.

So, wedding day dawns, dreary, rain drizzling, clouds heavy, dark and bleak,
matching her mood, her servants dress her, helpless, she stands meek.
Mother comes 'round, gives her a knowing hug, but she's powerless to help,
traditions live on for so many years, she remembers how she too, felt.

They pull apart, then hug again, part again, and share a sad smile,
they hold hands and the Princess prepares, to walk the dreaded mile.
As they approach the isle, her father waits, oblivious to her pain,
'tis a great business deal and he knows he has everything to gain.

But, just as she takes his hand to walk toward her long-sealed fate,
there's a noise in the back, harsh, loud, as the church door hinges grate.
The door swings wide and hits the wall, startled, every eye turns to see,
and there he is, her knight, as in her dreams, she always hoped he'd be.

A commotion arises, chaos ensues, a frenzied circus of motion.
Suddenly he holds her in his arms, eyes deep and blue as the ocean.
He turns, swords clash, the guards are called, but he has a few of his own,
When the dust clears, the bride is gone, mother and father stand alone.

Her mother smiles a secret smile, careful the King doesn't notice her deed.
The King's face is red, chest puffed like a peacock, he gathers men he needs.
But the lovers are long gone, happy and laughing, together, never to be found,
As they ride away, the dust clears, a piece of worn lace, flutters to the ground.





 




Oh, my gosh, I don't know what came over me. I'm not much of a one for romance but had read something on prearranged marriage. Started to write something and it turned into a fairy tale of some sort. Must be getting soft in my old age. Just for fun.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. frogbook All rights reserved.
frogbook has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.