General Fiction posted July 13, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
... and why everybody should read Dahl.

Driving With The Enemy

by Heather Knight


When my parents were killed in a car crash, I went to live with my aunt Ethel in her cottage in Silver Wood.

She was a sweet old lady who loved animals and plants. I learned everything I know about the natural world from her.

When I turned eighteen, I moved to New York to study North American Lit. 

One day in early November, I got a call from Aunt Ethel’s doctor.

‘Hello, Miss Lucas. I’m calling about your aunt.’

‘Is anything wrong?’

‘Well, she’s got a serious condition that I cannot treat, but she refuses to go into hospital. Maybe if you talked to her…’

‘Yes, of course. I’ll do what I can. Besides, I have a long weekend coming, so I can visit. Is there anything she needs?’

‘Well, if you could bring her some honey and ginger it would be great. And maybe a box of Panderol.’

After I hung up the phone, I went to the shops to get a few things for Aunt Ethel. I bought everything the doctor had told me and added some of her favorite sweets. I also got her a new duvet for her bed.

I realized I hadn’t asked the doctor what exactly was wrong with her, but there would be time for that.

The next morning, I loaded my yellow Volkswagen and  drove to Silver Wood. 

I was almost there when I saw a strange sight on the side of the road. A big brown dog was standing on his hind legs. It looked as if he was hitchhiking, it was uncanny.

My love for all creatures big and small made me stop. I got out of the car and walked towards him.

‘Hi, sweetie, are you okay?’

The dog jumped happily around me and then ran towards my car. As soon as I opened the passenger door, he got in.

‘Well, I can take him to Aunt Ethel’s home. It’ll be a nice surprise for her. He can keep her company.’

I kept on driving and talking to my passenger.

‘So how come you’re all alone? Did your owners abandon you?’

After a while, I felt a cold breeze even though the windows were closed. I looked sideways and was about to faint. My canine companion had turned into a sinister-looking man with big teeth and a protruding nose.

‘Ha! Works every time. I’m sure no decent girl would stop for me. But the doggie routine is perfect.’

‘Who are you?’

‘Oh, I don’t know. Your worst nightmare, I guess. The Big Bad Wolf, Jack the Ripper, Ted Bundy… You choose.’

By then, I was shivering with fright. I had a gun in the glove compartment, but it would be impossible to reach it without him noticing.

I was so lost in my thoughts that it took me a while to realize  the dog-man was speaking again.

‘Stop the car. You and I have to get to know each other.’

I did as he told me. He smiled at me, a horrible, twisted smile that made my insides contract.

‘So tell me, where are you going?’

‘To visit my aunt Ethel.’

‘Where does she live?’

‘In a little cottage in Silver Wood.’

‘Are you kidding me? Next you’ll tell me you’re visiting her because she’s sick and you’re bringing her some food.’

‘Well, that’s the truth.’

‘Ha! And you are Little Red Riding Hood.’

‘No, I’m not. I never liked that story. I’m a feminist. I don't need a woodcutter to save me. I can save myself.’

‘Well, you’re a cocky one, aren’t you?’

‘Not cocky, realistic.’

‘Let’s go and see your aunt then. Two women are always better than one. Is she as attractive as you are?’

I refused to answer his question. He told me to continue driving and that’s what I did. In my head, I was concocting a plan.

It took us half an hour to arrive at  Aunt Ethel’s home. When we got there, I told the dog-man I had to get her things out of the boot. I also told him I had her medicines in the glove compartment. Without his seeing, I hid the gun in my underwear.

I rang the bell and when Aunt Ethel opened the door, I hugged her tight.

‘And who’s this gentleman?’ she asked, polite as usual.

‘Oh, somebody I met on my way. Apparently he has never read Roald Dahl.’

Without another word, I whipped the gun from my knickers. Literature can be useful.




Sudden Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Roald Dahl wrote a book in verse called Revolting Rhymes. In his version of Little Red Riding Hood, the little girl shot the wolf.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.