Romance Fiction posted July 12, 2017 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
...another part of Jenny and Ron's Story

A chapter in the book The Products of Love

Romance in the Shipyard

by Mustang Patty




Background
'The Products of Love' is the story of Jenny and Ron. Their love affair started out so sweet, and then life stepped in and things got rocky. Can this deep connection ever be broken?
The Carpentry shop in the shipyard was on one side of the grounds and the building housing the supply department was on the other.  Ron would catch the Shipyard Shuttle at the beginning of his lunchtime and the bus would stop by Jenny's building on the way to the cafeteria.  The two lovebirds would greet one another with a kiss and hold hands while they were riding.
 
Jenny made lunch for them every day and they only went to the cafeteria for cold drinks.  Their chatter was overheard by the eavesdropping gossips and their story was told everywhere.  From the drydocks to the shops, anyone who knew them knew they were dating.  They were such a handsome couple, it seemed everyone knew them or wanted to.  Their romance was a big deal.
 
In the days before cell phones, if lovers wanted to chat on company phones, there needed to be a cover story.
 
"Code 513, Jenny speaking.  How can I help you?"
 
"I, uh, need some parts for the project I'm working on.  Can you help me with that?"
 
Recognizing Ron's voice, Jenny decided to play along.  "What kind of parts do you need?"
 
"Well, I need some soft lips and a deliciously curved…"
 
"Sir, this is a business line!"  They both laughed and he ended their call, "Just wanted to hear your voice.  See ya tonight."
 
She hung up the phone and immediately felt several pairs of eyes on her.  There were no cubicles in their office; just a bunch of desks pushed together in the warehouse.  Her curious co-workers, women all older than her, were waiting for some sort of explanation.
 
"He just wanted to hear my voice, guys.  No biggie.  I think he just pines away for me all day."  She said the last while batting her lashes and the women all started giggling.
 
"Do you think this is serious, Jenny?  Everyone says he is a bit of a playboy.  No one has seen him date any one girl for too long."
 
Another chimed in, "We wouldn't want to see you get hurt, dear.  You just seem so over the moon about him.  Of course, he is handsome, and I imagine he'd be quite the catch, but do you think YOU could hold onto him?"
 
Inwardly, Jenny was cursing her luck to be working in a place where there were only women.  It seemed that most women reveled in the misfortune of others.  These old biddies really couldn't stand the notion of anyone being happy.  Why couldn't they just let her be?
 
"I don't know if I can hold him.  I do know I'm going to enjoy every minute of the time we have together.  Right now, I'm going to get back to work."  She hoped this would get the ladies' minds back on their own work and off her business.
 
Finally, the work day was over.  As she stood in line to punch out, her thoughts turned to the evening ahead.  It was their six-month anniversary.  She had a wonderful meal planned.  She just needed to stop by her house, change clothes and pick up the groceries.  Ron's kitchen was much more fun to cook in.
 
Freshly showered, grocery bags in hand, she headed out the door.  Her phone started ringing as she was locking the door, but she ignored it.  She was already running late.
 
As she pulled up to Ron's house, she was surprised to see a small truck in the driveway.  Her brow was creased with curiosity as she let herself in.  She was totally unprepared to see another woman sitting on the couch.  She was holding a glass of wine and talking to Ron as if they were good, good friends.
Ron stood up hurriedly and looked like a rat in a trap.  He started to stammer, "I tried to call you.  I, um…this is Veronica.  She's an, uh, old friend."
 
"Oh, I'm much more than an old friend, aren't I Ron?  I mean we've always been much more than friends," Veronica purred from the couch.
 
Jenny was flabbergasted.  Without thinking too much, "Oh, I see you have company.  I'll just go then."  She pulled the door closed behind her.  She started walking down the sidewalk, sure that Ron would come after her.
 
She got all the way to the car and he hadn't come.  Folding herself into the driver's seat, she felt as though she'd been pulled through a sieve.  Her throat was dry and she could barely breathe.  Turning the key in the ignition, she headed towards home.  She was determined to drive right out of his life.

to be continued...

 



Recognized


photo taken by the author on a recent zoo visit. Duck romances are fun to watch.

I wrote this story based on a friend's recollections. I've known her for over thirty years and I was there at the beginning. Through the magic of the internet and free long distance, I've been able to hear the whole story.

With her permission, I've developed a story line based on what happened between her and her lover. The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.