General Fiction posted July 10, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Go for it! It's just one of life's decisions at work.

Is It Ever To Late To Learn?

by gsnewton75


The other night, Barbara and I were having dinner at one of the nicer restaurants in our area when all of a sudden a parade of eleven young men and their beautifully dressed dates marched one by one past our table to a private room of their own. Prom night was here! These young folks were quite a fashion show. Sporting the latest tuxedo styles and gowns, they were truly out of "Sweet Sixteen" magazine. I thought, pretty soon they would be marching down another aisle to the tune of "Pomp and Circumstances" or would they?

If any of them happened to be on the McGuinness High School Soccer Team they would be playing for the State Championship instead of going to graduation. Did you ever think a soccer game would take the place of graduation ceremonies, even to play for a State Championship? Woe is me, another of life's decisions at work!

One more summer; however, then it would be off to college or other pursuits with all their memories stored and tucked away ready to share when the time came to remember. As these dashing guys with their dream dates strolled by our table we couldn't help but have reflections of our own prom dance, graduation, and what life had brought us so far. These thoughts captured our conversation until it was time to concentrate on our main event of the evening, "prime rib?

Several days later, we were still commenting on how beautiful those young couples looked and what a perfect example they were of tomorrow's talent. Some would become attorneys, teachers, carpenters, computer technicians, soldiers, sales associates, authors, nurses, mothers and dads. What would life bring their way to conquer? What challenges would they confront? How would they be able to cope with a lighting fast, ever changing global economy? How many would become old gracefully or have their life prematurely taken? How many would be famous, daring politicians, homeless, or just good old fashion, no thrills, honest, hard working folks, earning what their skills and abilities could provide. One thing was for certain I thought, some day they will see what we saw that evening and will begin to reflect on their own by gone days.

How can any of us know what the future will hold? God has a plan for us we're told, but most of the time he doesn't share with us what it is right away. For example, several weeks after I completed, what our church calls the Journey of Faith program and became confirmed, I read in our Sooner Catholic Newspaper that a class entitled, :"New Testament Literature", was being offered at the Archdiocese. Excitedly, I decided to pursue my religious education by checking this out. The next thing I realized, I was enrolled in a program they called, "Pastoral Ministry". Much to my surprise I learned, if I took thirty hours of Theology courses and transferred my previous college's credits to the University offering the Pastoral Ministry courses, I could earn my second BA. What a deal, I thought. And to think, all I wanted to do was to take a course in New Testament Literature.

For several days I pondered whether or not to enroll in this program and thought about how long ago it had been since I was in college. Suddenly, it dawned on me how this might very well be part of God's plan for me. I started my life's work as a teacher/coach but shortly afterwards started my own business. I worked and built a very successful business for the next thirty four years and now I had a chance to sell it. I had thought some time ago that I might like to reinstate my teaching certificate. I could see this plan developing. It had also been my desire to teach in the parochial system. I thought all the Theology courses I took would be a plus in accomplishing that goal. It seemed to me that being certified to teach religion as well as language arts would increase my usefulness to the system. Even though this sounded like a great plan I was a little hesitate about trying to get another 30-hrs of college work under my belt successfully. Then, for a moment, I had a flashback to an experience that occurred the other morning when I looked into my pill box to take my medicine. When I opened the lid I saw the pills were gone. I couldn't remember if I had the wrong day or if I had the right day but had already taken the pills. Oh me! did I really want to enroll in thirty hours of college courses.

Trying to decide what to do I came across a poem written by Cardinal Cushing entitled: "I'm Fine". After reading it, I decided, Go for it, surely this opportunity has been divinely presented!
The poem went like this:

There's nothing whatever the matter with me
I'm just as healthy as I can be,
I have arthritis in both my knees
And when I talk I speak with a wheeze
My pulse is weak and my blood is thin,
But I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.

I think my liver is out of whack,
And I have a terrible pain in my back
My hearing is gone and my eyes are dim,
Most everything seems to be out of trim
I'm likely to fall at any time,
But, all things considered, I feel fine.

Arch supports for both my feet
Or I wouldn't be able to walk down the street,
My fingers are swollen, stiff at the joints
My nails are impossible to keep in points.
Complexion is bad, due to dry skin,
But I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.

My dentures are out,
I'm restless at night.
In the morning, I'm a frightful sight.
Memory's failing, heads in a spin,
I'm practically living on aspirin
But I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.

Now the moral is, as this tale unfolds
That you and me who are getting old,
It's better to say, I'm fine with a grin
Than to tell everybody of the shape we're in!

So the next time someone asks me how the classes are going, I'll just smile and say, "Fine".
and if I get the opportunity to fulfill my last goal which is to end my career the way it started, as a teacher, whether it be exploring the values contained in the literary classics, discussing the meanings of gospel verses or describing how my interest in literature and the Bible has helped me cope with life; be it exploring students' thoughts on what concerns them or considering philosophies that might be helpful in coping with this busy world, when asked, "How's it going? I'll smile and say, Just Fine."

It's never to late to learn?















Share Your Story contest entry


"I'm Fine" from Cardinal Cushing Website Title: I'mFine
http//www.inhisgrace.net/egfine.htm
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. gsnewton75 All rights reserved.
gsnewton75 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.