General Poetry posted July 4, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An englyn

A Debt Repaid

by tfawcus

His demon struck in the dark. Bloodstained dirk,
Dirty work, easy mark,
Twice bitten by the loan shark.
Bad risk at rest in the park.



Recognized


The englyn is among the oldest indigenous verse forms in the Welsh tongue, dating back at least as far as the 9th century. It has been described as Britain's equivalent of the haiku.

It uses quantitative metres, involving the counting of syllables, and rigid patterns of rhyme and half rhyme. Each line contains a repeating pattern of consonants and accent.

There are about a dozen different variations of the form. This one is an englyn unodl union, the straight one-rhymed englyn, which consists of four lines of ten, six, seven and seven syllables. In the first line there must be a break after the seventh, eighth, or ninth syllable, and the rhyme with the second line comes at this break; but the tenth syllable of the first line must either rhyme or be in assonance with the middle of the second line. The last three lines must rhyme with the word at the break in the first line, and either the third or fourth line should rhyme on a weak syllable.

Some, like mine and the one in the image, were written in the form of an epitaph.

Image Credit: By Llywelyn2000 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35567050
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tfawcus All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
tfawcus has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.