General Fiction posted June 27, 2017 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...Howie and Bernie discuss life and treats

A chapter in the book 2018 Bernie and Howie Stories

Let's ask for a Treat!

by Mustang Patty


Good mornin'.  How ya doin' this sunny and bright day?  I just had a good nap.  Why's your face all wet?
 
I just went and had a cool drink.  The Mistress just changed the water.  Oh my, but it was nice and cold.
 
Is that all you care about, Howie?  You seem to just wander 'tween the couch and water and food bowls.  Let's do something fun!
 
I'm afraid, dear Bernie, that our ideas of something fun are drastically different.
 
Okay, big shot.  What do you think is fun?
 
I think we should go and sit in front of the big screen and pretend we are looking for the channel with the other creatures.  If we do that, the Mistress will change the big screen and we can check out those pretty dogs, you know the ones that smell good.
 
Who wants to do that?  I don't think they smell very good.  It's not like they smell like a nice treat.  There's an idea!
 
What's an idea?
 
Let's go ask the Mistress fer a treat.  We haven't had one since last night.
 
Don't be silly.  The Mistress is sitting at her screen thing.  She's been there for over an hour.  That means she's writing a story about us.  I, for one, do not want to disturb her.  She's probably telling about the time I saved the house from burning down.
 
When did ya do that?  I don't 'member that.  Was I there?
 
No, Bernie.  It was before you came to live with us.  It was back when I was the only dog.
 
Wow, Howie.  What was that like?  Did you get all the treats?
 
Yes, I did.  I didn't have to share with anyone.  I got all the treats and all the petting.  I was the only one to sleep with the Mistress and Man.  It was such a great time.
 
But you were happy when I came to live with you? Right?
 
No, not really.  The Mistress said I was getting a little brother.  She kept telling me that we had the same sire.  You were supposed to be smaller than me, even when you grew up.  But look at you!
 
What's wrong wid the way I look?
 
For one thing, who would ever believe we have same sire.  He was a purebred Maltese.  I at least look like a Maltese.  And you, well, no one really knows what you look like.  The Mistress says something about Tramp from some movie.
 
The Mistress always tells me I'm hansum.
 
She lies.  Have you seen yourself in a mirror?  You have those long legs, floppy ears, two tone fur, and your teeth are all snarly.
 
But, Howie, you have those little teeth on the bottom that stick out in front of the others.  I always wonder how you can even chew your food.
 
At least I look like some sort of a breed.  You just look like a mutt.
 
I'm hansum and a good boy.  The Mistress says so.  You're just plain mean.  I'm not talking to you anymore, Howie.
 
That will be a relief.  Talking to you gives me a headache.
 
 
 
Hey Howie!  Looks like the Mistress is done on the screen thingy.  Let's go ask for a treat.  Will you do that thing where you wave your feet in the air?  She likes that.

 



Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


picture taken by the author Howie on the left and Bernie on the right
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.