Romance Fiction posted June 25, 2017 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emily wants a slingshot.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zehn part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"If I'm not mistaken, you were concerned about Shana's physical safety," Anderson hesitated to search for the correct words, "about her reputation. You're Orthodox Jewish and struggle with some of the society's modern ways."

Benjamin leaned forward. "Yes, she's staying with a divorced man."

"Papa?"

"Shana, it's all right. I understand his concern. He loves you." Anderson's eyes met Benjamin's. "I want to assure you that your daughter has been and will continue to be treated with the utmost respect. To the best of my ability, I will make sure no harm comes to her physically or emotionally." He offered his hand. After Benjamin accepted it, he added, "Emily's my princess, and I understand a father's love and concern for his daughter."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 10 part 3

After the helicopter took Anderson, Benjamin, and Aaron to the airport, everyone sat around the dining room table. Helen provided lemonade with cheese, and crackers. "I think it went well with Shana's father, don't you?"

Emily folded her arms over her chest, and her lips formed a pout. "I wanted to find out more about King David and the giant. Did David have super powers?" She raised her arms above her head.

Shana laughed. "No, just a rock, slingshot, and God. That's all he needed."

"A slingshot?" Emily frowned. "What's that?"

Philip folded a napkin to explain a slingshot and wadded a tissue to show how a slingshot worked.

"Uncle Philip, would you make me a real one?"

"If he does, who's going to answer to your daddy? He won't be happy." Jane shook her head.

"She's probably right. We'd both be in trouble." Philip disassembled the model. "Helen, to answer your question, I feel it did go well. How about you, Shana?"

"I'm a little embarrassed my family showed up uninvited. I didn't get the opportunity to apologize to Mr. Sharp."

"My dear - "

"Ohhh, you're in trouble now, Miss Shana," interrupted Emily, shaking her pointer finger. "When Aunt Jane's about ready to scold me, she always starts with 'my dear'."

"She's correct." Jane pointed her finger as she smiled. "I'm going to scold you about saying Mr. Sharp. I know he's mentioned to call him Drew. He means it." She scanned the room. "I know he's rich and important, but he's really a down to Earth person; just the boy-next-door."

"Except with hundreds of thousands of dollars," said Shana. "I'm sure he makes more in a week than I do in a month."

"It's more like billions of dollars and..."

"Wow! I had no idea," interrupted Shana with raised eyebrows.

"Mommy says Daddy's too rich for his own good, and he needs to share it with her. She says there's no reason for her to live in slums and have to wear rags."

Philip stood and muttered under his breath, "That bitch gets more money than she deserves."

"Philip, there's a child in the room." Jane watched him leave.

"Philip's right." Helen folded the napkin he'd used for the slingshot. "Drew has been more than generous with money, and she doesn't live in the slums. She lives on Park Avenue at his expense." She set the napkin on the table. "But we shouldn't express our opinions when there are young ears around."

The three adults nodded in agreement.

"I want to make sure I understand our game plan." Jane paused. "When Drew returns, he's going to call Kuznetsov and ask him to kindly return the painting to its rightful owners."

Philip leaned against the door jam. "Yes. Our hope is once he understands that our interest is only in the painting, he'll give us the painting and realize we have no interest in his business."

"I sure hope it works," said Shana. "My concern is since he's spent time and money threatening me, doesn't that make him look guilty of something. He's even sent men to Peoria, Illinois to snoop around. If he just hands it over, to me that makes him look even guiltier."

"Shana's got a point." Philip turned toward the patio. "What's that?"

"That helicopter's flying awfully low. It's not landing, is it?" Jane followed Philip to the patio.





Recognized


Thank you Google Images for a photo of engraving of men with early slingshots. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.