Horror and Thriller Fiction posted June 7, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...things aren't what they seem

The Good Dog

by Mustang Patty

Good evening, my friends.  Miss Pitterpat, here.  Welcome to our show.  We only have one short, but sweet, chapter for you.  Tonight, you will see the loving relationship between a woman and her dog.  It seems that a dog isn't just a man's best friend.  He can love a woman, too.  Perhaps this dog loved his woman a bit too much.
 
But don't let me ruin it for you – why don't you see for yourself?
 
And now for our story,
 
 

 
-----@>
 
 
It's important to remember that above all, he was a good dog.  Jimi came when he was called.  Only his toys were chewed on; never furniture, shoes or people.  Completely housebroken, he never left a mess.   He adored the lady he lived with more than life itself.  It was an idyllic life until the situation came up.
 
Jimi was a big dog.  He weighed over eighty pounds, and most of his weight was pure muscle.  With a tri-color luxuriant coat, he was a beautiful dog.  His lady would brush him at least once a day, and she loved the silky feel of his fur.  With beautiful tulip-shaped ears, and deep bronze eyes, his face resembled that of a German Shepherd, but his fur was more like a collie's.  The lady never knew his exact breed or breeds; she'd found him at the pound several years back.
 
"Jimi…who's a good dog?  Are you the good doggie?" she asked over and over as she rubbed his belly and stroked his head.  Her perfume was a joy to smell and he patiently waited for the rub to be over.  Next, she would give him a treat – the best part of the day!
 
As his lady walked into the kitchen, he watched her every move.  She opened the upper cupboard door and reached in for the snack bag.  Ever so slowly, she took the treat, and called him over to her.
 
Wagging his tail and his tongue hanging, he trotted across the kitchen floor.  He sat even before she could say the command.  Lifting his right paw to 'shake,' he tipped his head back to receive the tasty morsel.
 
Life was good.  Jimi spent each day doing the things he loved.  The farm he and the lady lived on was about forty acres, and since it was all fenced, he ran free.  Using the doggy door set off the kitchen, he could come and go at will.  He had his usual spots to check on, and he hunted squirrels at the edge of the wood and swam in the lake when it was warm. 
 
At night, he slept at the foot of the lady's bed.  Listening to her breathe made him smile.  He adored her as only a big dog could.
 
It all changed in the middle of the summer.
 
One morning on his early run through the woods, Jimi came across a strange creature.  He smelled like a dog, but he walked on his hind legs.  He seemed to be in pain, and as Jimi watched, the creature changed right in front of him.  Suddenly, a man stood in the creature's place.  He was naked and scraped up.  He put his head in his hands and began to sob.
 
Running back to his favorite spot in the woods, Jimi threw himself down on the carpet of needles under the tall pine trees.  Placing his head on top of his front paws, he tried to think this through.  What was he going to do?  He was just a dog and had no idea.
 
One thing was for certain.  This man creature didn't belong on the lady's property.  As the guard dog, Jimi needed to scare him off.  There was one problem, Jimi feared this strange smelling man.  How could a man give off the scent of a wolf?
 
-----@>
 
Later that night, as Jimi lay in his dog bed, he heard an eerie howl.  It shook him to his very core.  He rose and gave himself a good stretch.  Reaching his forefeet out in front, he placed his back feet as far out as he could.  He knew he was stalling.  Gathering all his doggy courage, he ventured out into the kitchen and went outside through the doggy door.
 
Bright moonlight flooded the path.  The horrible sound continued to emanate from deep in the woods.  Jimi was determined to see if it was the man creature.  Would he be on his hind legs and covered in fur?  Or would he be the broken and wounded man Jimi saw earlier in the day?
 
A stiff breeze was blowing and Jimi lost the scent and sound he was following.  He ran to the woods and returned to the place he found the creature in the morning.  Nothing could be seen in the clearing, though Jimi's nose could detect that the creature was recently there.
 
Nose to the ground, Jimi frantically searched the woods.  He finally picked up the scent, and moved at full speed along its trail.  Certainly, he would catch up.  He wasn't sure what he would do, but he knew it was his job to do something.
 
The loud and screeching howl could be heard coming from the direction of the house.  The fur along Jimi's ruff stood straight up and a low growl formed in his throat.  The lady could be in danger!
 
Running at full speed, Jimi headed towards the house.  A new sound filled his straining ears.  The lady was screaming.  Wild with fear and determination, Jimi continued his run.
 
There was no need to go through the doggy door.  The back door was completely pulled from its hinges.  It lay to the side at a pitiful angle, and Jimi rushed past it with a great fear in his doggy heart.
 
In front of him, lying on her bed in a pool of blood, the lady was dead.  Her throat had been ripped out and her eyes were wide open, bulging out of the socket with fear.  Blood dripped from the mattress in loud splats onto the floor and the sound was more than Jimi could bear.
 
Growling low and deep, Jimi searched for the creature.  He would do everything in his power to kill it.  It had dared to kill the lady, and it must pay.
 
His nose failed him.  There was no trail to follow.  Neither the scent of a man or creature could be found.  In extreme sadness, he climbed onto the bed and tried to get as close to his lady as he could.  He crawled under her outstretched hand and felt her touch on his fur.  If only she could stroke him as she once did.
-----@> 

When the sheriff entered the room, he saw the big dog attempting to mutilate his kill.  Raising his service pistol, he shot twice and the dog was dead.
 
-----@> 
 
Newspapers told the tale of the large dog who went crazy and killed its owner.  People clucked their tongues and wondered if the dog was rabid or sick.  Those that knew the lady and Jimi were in shock.  How could this happen?
 
-----@>

Deep in the woods, the creature paced.  He waited for the cycle of the full moon to be over.  Only then could he return to his home.
 
  
 

 



Dr. Terry Fying's Crumbling Crypt contest entry

Recognized


Thank you to Teri Fors for the use of this lovely dog picture. This is how I imagine Jimi would look.

Now, while this may not seem like such a horror to some, let's remember what it felt like for me to kill a dog!

In all honesty, it was very hard for me to write in this genre - though I love Stephen King and everything that Dean Kuch posts, I just don't have the horror strain running through my veins.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.