Biographical Non-Fiction posted May 25, 2017 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...my daughter, my hero

A chapter in the book Family Poems and Stories 2010-2017

Heather Rose

by Mustang Patty


On Monday, my daughter called to let me know she had qualified for her promotion to Master Sergeant in the Air Force.  For those of you who are not familiar with the military rankings, the Master Sergeant rank is an E-7 in a system of E1 through E9.  So, in the fourteen years she has served, she has been promoted six times.  This is a very good thing. 
 
I realize I haven't talked much about my daughter on FanStory.  This is surprising because I fairly bust with pride when I think of my lovely daughter.  If ever there was a better kid, I've rarely heard about it.
 
Heather has always been a dream to take care of.  She was a quiet baby and started sleeping through the night when she was just three weeks old.  She potty trained herself when she was only nineteen months old because when she saw me putting a diaper on her newborn brother, she decided she wasn't a baby anymore!
 
She did well in school.  I can only remember one 'B' in a sea of 'A's.  She excelled in her classes and served as several officers on the Student Council through her high school years, as well as taking part in the Knowledge Bowl.  I was never once called to the Principal's office about her, or heard anything negative from her teachers.  She was loved by all.
 
There wasn't much fussing when she reached her teenage years.  In fact, she used me as an excuse to keep herself out of trouble.  She always told people she couldn't go to parties; her mother would object.  Fact is, she never even asked. 
 
She went on several mission trips with our church, and when she was sixteen, she went to Europe for six weeks with a group from high school.  She got the travel bug early in life.  It wasn't a big surprise when she told us she would rather go into the military than start college.
 
Just a little over fourteen years ago, she left for basic training.  Since then, she has been stationed in New Mexico, Korea, Iraq, Germany, back to New Mexico, and now she is serving in Virginia at Langley.  She works in Finance, and she currently manages a large budget for her command.  She has won awards and medals and ribbons.  She won Airman of the Quarter three times, and Airman of the Year back in 2010.
 
A mother couldn't ask for a better daughter.  Despite all her travels, she has managed to spend quality time with me.  We have visited each other every six months unless she was stationed out of country.  She flew me to Germany and toured Europe with me back in 2010, and we had a blast.  My favorite part was seeing the Eiffel Tower again with one of my favorite people in the world.
 
In 2014, I moved to New Mexico to await the birth of my first grandchild.  Heather and I spent the next year and a half together.  We shared our bond daily, and I was privileged to watch her bring her daughter into the world.  My bond with Heather is only enhanced by my love for Hailey Rose.
 
In just a few weeks, I will go for my semi-annual visit to Virginia.  I'm looking forward to spending time with Heather, her husband, and her two beautiful children, Hailey Rose and Logan Ernest.  My life will be brightened by their light.

 



Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


Photo courtesy of the U.S. Air Force. This picture was taken shortly after Heather was promoted to Technical Sergeant (E6).

Heather is a wonderful daughter, wife, and mother. She is gifted in many ways. As a multi-tasker, she has managed to complete two Associate Degrees in Finance and General Studies, and she is currently working on her Bachelor of Science in Business Management.

What can I say? She is simply amazing!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.