Romance Fiction posted May 21, 2017 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana asks questions.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Neun part eine

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Shana took a sip of iced tea. "Now, I think about it, it does seem strange I waited so long for him to return with really no additional information. All he said was he'd check into it and made a copy of my paperwork. I refused to leave it with him. When I left the museum, those men began following me."

"Everything leads to the painting. I wonder if the curator is involved. Maybe Kuznetsov is innocent. We never considered the curator. We need to check him out." Anderson dialed his cell phone. "I'll have a background check done on him." When he finished his call, he added, "Jeremy will be here shortly. Let's finish our list."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 9 part 1

Philip escorted Jeremy to the den. As Helen served cold drinks and finger sandwiches, Jane introduced her relative to the others and to the three dogs.

"Beautiful dogs." Jeremy sipped his tea before he said, "I understand there's a list of concerns."

Anderson glanced at Shana. "I think you should begin."

Philip handed Shana the paper he'd previously taken notes on. She fingered the top right corner. "I guess we need to start at the beginning. Have you heard of Ivan Kuznetsov?"

"I've heard his name around the precinct. It comes up whenever we're discussing Russian Mafias. He's suspected to be a major player in the Odessa Mafia but we have no evidence. He keeps his hands clean. Probably pays others to do his dirty work."

Shana chewed on her lower lip. "Do you know what that mafia deals in?"

"Money laundering, drugs, and human trafficking. They run one of the largest underage prostitution rings on the East coast."

"I don't understand. Why would girls agree to be involved with that?" asked Shana.

"It's not only girls. In countries like Thailand, many of the young males are sold into prostitution. Most countries, including the US, have problems with child prostitution but the main ones are Thailand, Brazil, India, Sri Lanka, and Mexico City. The Russian Mafias have their hands in all of it." Jeremy took a bite of a ham and cheese sandwich. "Starvation is a strong motivator."

Anderson glanced at his ringing cell. "Excuse me a minute." He stepped in the hall, but returned quickly. "Jeremy, I just got a name. The Art Museum's curator is Joshua Colton. Have you heard of him?"

"We've arrested him a few times but can't make anything stick. He seems to be a runner for the Odessa Mafia, but we can't prove it."

"I don't understand why these men would be following Shana over ownership of a painting. It doesn't make sense. Any ideas?" asked Philip.

"That's a good question. I don't have an answer. I'm guessing she somehow stumbled onto something." Jeremy paused at a sound.

"Anderson, you'd better let me up right this minute!" yelled a female voice through the intercom.

Helen stood, walked toward the elevator, and pushed a button. "Is that Patricia's voice?"

The three German Shepherds followed and waited at the elevator.

Anderson's eyebrows crunched together. "Sounds like it. I wonder what she's upset over now."

Patricia stepped from the elevator with Emily in tow. "Why do you keep that door locked? Is that hussy still hanging around?"

As the two entered the room Axel, Thor, and Romeo sat next to Emily with tails wagging. She giggled as she petted them.

"I see you still have those flea bags. I told you I don't want them around my daughter." Patricia shoved them away from Emily.

"Patricia, why are you here?" asked Anderson.

"My friends are throwing me a going away party. I need you to take my daughter a day early. I'm sure that won't be a problem." Patricia let go of Emily's hand and set down the small overnight bag. "I have packed a few things. I'm sure you can pick up whatever she needs." She turned toward the elevator and left.

Emily ran up to Anderson. "Daddy, can I have a snack? Mommy didn't give me breakfast."

"Sure." Anderson glanced toward Helen. "Please take her to the kitchen and fix her some breakfast." He shook his head and released a deep breath as he watched Thor follow. Axel looked at his master for instructions. Anderson nodded and motioned for him to follow.

Romeo sat beside Shana.

"Helen, did you make pancakes this morning?" Emily asked as she took Helen's hand.

"No, dear, but I'm sure I can find something you'll like."

Anderson watched them until they were out of sight. "Sorry, for the interruption. Where were we?" He sat.

"We were discussing why Kuznetsov would have Shana followed, but..." Jeremy paused. "Sir, before we go any further." He released a deep breath. "I know it's none of my business, but was that your daughter and maybe ex-wife?"

After Anderson nodded, Jeremy continued, "We've been called to their apartment on more than one occasion."

Anderson rose and slammed both hands on the desk. "Why?"

Shana and Romeo left the room.






Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Ben -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I've changed it.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson's divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and has a three month old daughter.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for a photo of ham and cheese finger sandwiches. Thank you for being patient with me for my missing last week. There are 5 school days left with kids. Again, I have edited and edited this post and every time I find more and more mistakes. I even added to this post to enrich it. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.