Biographical Non-Fiction posted May 7, 2017 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...Tuesday is travel day

A chapter in the book Family Poems and Stories 2010-2017

Minneapolis bound

by Mustang Patty


On Tuesday, May 9th, I will be traveling to Minneapolis to see my son, Gregory.  Some of you are familiar with the story – he is my thirty-year-old baby boy, dealing with an addiction.  I posted a piece a few weeks back, when I purchased tickets for this trip. Some of you asked me to let everyone know when I was going, so here I am.  Prayer cover and positive thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 
 
Tomorrow, I will drop off the dogs at their favorite place – the kennel.  My suitcase is already packed.  I'm more nervous about this trip than usual.  I have a tiny fear of flying, but the anxiety with this trip is caused by something else entirely.  Suppose this is the last time I see my son.
 
For the past two and a half years, I have not enabled him or his habit in any way.  I haven't sent any money, stopped his cell phone bill, and made him make his own way.  I do take his phone calls and texts, and I make myself available to listen.  He came to visit in January of 2016, and I was horrified by his weight loss and general appearance.  Prior to his first visit to Minneapolis, he lived with me and my husband.  His continual drug use and lack of responsibility prompted me to tell him not to return to New Mexico.  I don't think I've ever done anything so hard in all my life.
 
So, my bags are packed, the hotel reservation made, and the flight confirmation in hand.  My heart is beating fast, and I'm praying with all my might that I know the right things to say, and the right thing to do.  The joy of seeing my beloved child is tempered by the situation at hand. 
 
A few of you offered valued advice; I should immediately rush him into a rehab facility or give him an ultimatum.  Others warned me that he won't go into rehab until he is ready to go.  Others still, asked me to proceed with caution.  Addicts can be dangerous and shady people.
 
So, I've taken a few precautions.  I'm not carrying too much cash, and my debit card has limited access to funds.  I'm bringing a credit card for emergencies that will be 'on my person' always.  My husband and daughter will be waiting for me to check in at regular intervals.  My jewelry will be sparse, and again, always on my person.
 
I want to think that my son would never hurt me or rob me, but I know I'm dealing with someone totally different now.  I've heard horror stories from other people who were robbed blind by their loved ones.  I'm doing my best to limit any temptation.
 
Prepared to have a conversation about my concerns and his need to get some help, I've done the research.  I'm armed with a list of resources in the area.  I know the talks may not be pleasant, but I know only my husband and I are willing to have them with him.  People have questioned why my husband isn't going with me, and we prayed and decided Gregory is more likely to listen to me.  He and I were always the closest.  Dave loves him with all his heart, but they had the usual father-son issues.
 
In short, dear FanStory family, I ask all of you to think of me over the next few days.  I will miss my computer and the friendly banter I share with you.  I'm purposely posting this a few days before I leave – I'm counting on you guys to chime in and offer advice, and prayers.  When I get back, I will have a lot to share – I pray it will be good.  

 

 



Recognized


the picture is from the Minneapolis website - I love the skyline shot.

While I'm not taking my laptop, I will be taking my writing journal. I'm hoping I will have something positive to share when I get back. I pray, with God's help, I can help my son to see the light.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.