Commentary and Philosophy Script posted May 1, 2017 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Potlatch Prose Challenge-EPA Cuts

A chapter in the book Scripts

From the Deadwood Forests

by michaelcahill



Fade in

We see an outside shot of a rundown bar. The neon sign flickers. The bar is called: Bertha's Irish Pub and a Rub. The license for massage fell through, so nothing but drinks can be found inside. The "B" and the "a's" are burned out, so at night the sign flashes: "erth"
We're inside now. It's dingy and not well attended. In the corner a heated discussion bordering on an argument ensues. It seems they are merely drunk and not arguing after all.

 
Liam
She was gorgeous in her prime though. Built like an evergreen.
 
Darby
Aye, just like an evergreen, with hair like a treetop reaching for the sun.
 
O'Shea
Reachin' for the sun and breathin' in the cool air of an Autumn breeze ... and her toes dancin' in the clear water, splashing as if to beguile the forest with her perfection.
 

O'Shea grabs the pitcher and overfills the mugs on the table. The three of them clank their glasses together.
 
In unison
To the EPA!
 

They drink long as though this may be their last. Across the bar an older woman in a tattered red dress sways on a barstool as she whispers hoarsely to the bartender.
 
Madrenatura
Who are those boys over there, Padre? They seem like a fun lot. They do go on though. What are they getting on about?

Padre
Can't say. Something about the EPA, whatever that is. They patter on about forests and clean air and water. Hasn't been the like of any of it since the dark Obama days. My favorite is blatherin' about traipsin' around without masks on. For God's sake, I'm afraid they'll get snookered up and give it a go. Business is slow enough without three dead Irishman advertising my stoop.

Madrenatura
Where do they get these notions?

Padre
Oh, according to the sage under the table over there, the EPA was once a mighty organization that made businesses keep the water and air clean. Get this, they fined corporations for dumping waste in rivers and even for putting smoke in the air. HA! Yeah, right. I'm sure the rich bastards ponied up every dime of it. The drunken old coot says you could see the mountains from right outside the door. Hell, I can't see the door if I take two steps back.

Madrenatura
Well, Padre, everyone has a once upon a time tale. I guess there's no harm in a few EPA boys tying one on and pretending they once mattered. I'm not one to burst their bubble.
 

Madrenatura shuffles over to the table where the EPA boys are carrying on and speaks
 
Madrenatura
Here's to you boys!
 

She lifts her glass and light shines from it illuminating a window. Outside the window snowcapped mountains can be seen in the distance.
 
Madrenatura
There was a time when the EPA kept this Earth beautiful and safe for all the people to enjoy. Lift your mugs to the good old days.
 
O'Shea
Here's to you, Lady. And damn that Donald Trump. He's the one that caused this!
 
Madrenatura
What? I should have known you were a bunch of Libtard crackpots. Sure, blame the natural cycles of the Earth on Donald Trump. How typical.
 

The bartender calls for silence as he turns up the T.V. We focus in on the T.V. now as Donald Trump fills the screen.
 
Donald Trump
I told you I'd come through for you and once again I have. Oil has been discovered right here in the U.S of A. I can stop bombing the Middle East and get to drilling on home soil. All you tree huggers and your crying. We've found the mother of all oil fields right below Yosemite Deadwood Forest. I guess it's about time, PRIME MINSTREL TRUDEAU, TEAR DOWN THAT WALL!. Looks like Canada may want to make friends after all.
 
The End



Recognized




I went REALLY far off the beaten path with this. SORRY. But I did address the issue of Trump eliminating the EPA. (I think) LOL.

I just read that Trump wants to eliminate the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency.)

I would really like to know what you think of that-can't wait to read them. I usually keep commentaries around 350 words. That's generally what newspapers will allow--at least in this area~Debbie

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.