Romance Fiction posted April 16, 2017 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Maybe some answers

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Acht part eine

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I take that as a 'You shouldn't leave. I'd miss you'." She reached over and rubbed his neck. "I'd miss you, too. Do you think the Russians are as dangerous as everybody seems to think they are?"

As Romeo lowered his head, Shana whispered, "I'm talking to a dog and expecting an answer. What's wrong with me?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 8 part 1

Unable to sleep, Shana showered and dressed. Just as predawn lit the sky, she walked into the dining room. Finding it empty and the house silent, she went to the patio. She found a lounge chair close enough to the edge, enabling her to watch the magnificent city awaken and she sat down. I guess Romeo's busy. Either that or he left me for somebody else. She smiled to herself.

She turned toward the door when she heard scratching and smiled. Right on cue. How did he do that? As she walked to the door, she said, "You returned. Did you have a nice walk?"

"It was more of a run than a walk," said a male's voice.

Shana's eyes widened as she placed her hand on her chest. "What?"

"I'm over here," Anderson called and waved from the hallway's entrance she'd never noticed.

"I know Romeo's smart but I didn't expect an answer."

"Give me a few minutes to shower and I'll join you." After Shana acknowledged him, he continued down the hall.

Romeo and Shana watched in silence as New York City woke up.

It wasn't long before Anderson and the other two dogs joined them. "Helen will bring some coffee in a few minutes." He hesitated. "What are your thoughts on the situation we discussed last night?"

"If I forget about trying to get the painting back, do you think Mr. Morozov will leave my family and me alone?" Shana petted Romeo who sat beside her.

"I doubt it." Anderson motioned for Helen to bring the coffee to where they were sitting. After he welcomed Helen, he continued the conversation. "I believe he thinks you're a threat to his organization or at least his business, which is probably illegal."

"I don't want to put anybody else in danger." Shana added cream to her coffee.

"Drew, breakfast will be ready in about twenty minutes. Do you want it out here?" asked Helen.

He glanced at Shana. "You decide. I don't care either way."

Shana smiled at Helen. "If it's not too much trouble, I'd like it here. It's a beautiful morning. But, only if it's not a problem."

"Not at all. I have a serving cart on wheels. It can go anywhere." Helen glanced at the dogs. "I'll have your breakfasts, too. Do you guys want it here or inside?"

Axel and Thor cocked their heads. Romeo lay down beside Shana.

Helen laughed. "I'll bring it out in a few minutes." She turned to leave, but paused. "Drew, those dogs are spoiled rotten."

Shana nodded in agreement as she asked, "Mr. Sharp, honestly what do you think is the best thing for me to do?"

"First, stop calling me Mr. Sharp. It's Drew. I've already mentioned that. Mr. Sharp is my dad." He sipped his coffee. "Secondly, it's not my decision, it's yours."

"True, but I'm sure you have an opinion. I'd like to hear it."

"I'd like to hear your opinion myself," Philip said as he walked in and sat on the other side of Shana.

Anderson leaned back. "I don't believe we have enough information to make a decision. That's why we need to find out exactly what Morozov is up to and who he's connected to. I'm hoping either Jeff or Jeremy will be able to fill in the blanks, and then we can decide if continuing to get the painting back is worth it or not."

Philip answered his phone and after listening a few moments, he asked, "Drew, it's Jeff. Something has come up and can't meet at 10:00. He wants to know if he can meet with us now."

Anderson nodded and then said to Shana, "Maybe we'll get an answer in a few minutes." As Jane walked into the room he said, "Please let Helen know Jeff will be here for breakfast."




Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Ben -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Morozov -- owner of the painting 'Winter-Traum' by Bruno Schmidt

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for a photo of a New York City sunrise. Thank you for the generous support you give me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.