Horror and Thriller Fiction posted April 13, 2017 Chapters: 1 -2- 3 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jeremy struggles to become the better man.

A chapter in the book Taker of breath

Jeremy

by Neonewman

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.


Background
In the first Chapter Mary lost her life to this mystery killer. Mary's story will come to life in the next couple of chapters.

Jeremy Wayne Lacey stood furiously in front of the refrigerator. Opening the door, he reached in and grabbed another beer.

"Dammit," he mumbled.

With a quick flick of his wrist the top flew from the bottle. He watched as it rolled across the kitchen floor. "A better man would go after her." he told himself as he lifted his beer. "A better man would." swallowing half the beer in one violent tilt of the bottle, then shattered it against the hardwood floor of his father's kitchen. "Shit." Jeremy spoke out of frustrtion as he turned to the counter top and grabbed the keys to his truck. "Hold on Mary." He said as the screen door slammed behind him.
"I will be a better man," he proclaimed, meaning it this time.

Jeremy stumbled off the rotted front porch, still a bit drunk from the night's unpleasantness, yet he felt as though he should drive. He slid into the driver's seat and inserted the key into the ignition.

"Why?" He muttered. "Why do I do this to her? Can't I be the man she needs me to be? A little effort here Jeremy." Scolding himself as he slammed the door and pressed his foot against the clutch. Jeremy ground the gears to the old Chevy as he forced the stick into first. He spun the tires across his daddy's front lawn and said. "Hold on baby I'm coming."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy glanced at the odometer. With a mile behind him, he became concerned.

"Dammit!" He shouted. "Could she really have gotten this far?" He asked himself, as he brightened the lights. "I mean, how long ago did she leave?" He squinted through the windshield towards the edge of the road. "How long did I let her walk before heading out after her?" Jeremy bowed his head in shame. "You are definitely right Mary, I am an asshole!"

Lost in thought and the flow of alcohol coursing through his veins, only added to Jeremy's distraction. He had barely noticed the movement in front of the truck.

"Oh Shit!" He screamed, as he heard a thump. Something struck the front of his truck. Jeremy jerked the wheel to the right.
"Oh My God!" Echoed throughout the cab of the truck as he desperately tried to regain control of the Chevy. "No!" Jeremy screamed before he collided with the massive oak.

Jeremy lay unconscious between the steering wheel and the driver's door. Steam spewed from under the mangled hood, between the grill and the radiator. Fluids pooling beneath the old truck, pieces of the shattered windshield bounce across the hood.

Jeremy awoke to bright flashing lights. He blinked blood from his left eye as he struggled to focus on the events through the shattered windscreen. Panic set in at the sight of numerous paramedics surrounding him.

"Wha-what happened to me?" He said as he attempted to turn his head.

"My name is Jason." Came a soothing voice from his left. "I am with the Wharton county fire and rescue, you've been involved in an accident. so please, I need you remain still."

Jeremy did not comply as he struggled to move his legs.

"Can you tell me your name?" The paramedic asked.

"Yes!" he said. "Of course I can, my name is Jeremy Wayne Lacey." Confused as he recognized Jason's voice.
"But!" Jeremy paused as he wiped the blood from his eye."You already know this."

"Yes, I do." He said. "I just needed to hear it from you." He spoke with a compassion.
"You have a nasty little gash and goose egg on your forehead, needed to make sure your thoughts are clear."

"What did I hit? " he asked. "I mean I see the tree in front of me, but." Again he paused as he tried to remember the moments leading up to hitting the tree. He looked up at Jason and said. "I think I hit something else. In the road, I think."

"You don't worry yourself with that right now, let's get you onto the ambulance. You can talk to Sheriff Lloyd after we get you checked out." 

"Sheriff Lloyd?" he asked. "I don't understand. Why Sheriff Lloyd?" Jeremy questioned once more while trying to bring himself into the upright position.

"Whoa! Hold on there buddy." The paramedic said with his hand firmly against Jeremy's chest. "You've had a little to drink tonight right?" He questioned.

"Wait just a damn minute there!" Jeremy said with his eyes half opened. "I haven't had that much to drink here Jason." Now searching for the right words. "I mean I have had a couple beers but not enough to cause an accident." He shifted his eyes towards Jason. "I've driven many times in a worse conditions than this."

 "What do you remember before the accident Jeremy, where were you going?" Jason politely asked.

"Mary and I had another fight. Stupid really, but a fight none the less. I was going after Mary when...." He stopped, stared out of the broken front window of his now totaled pickup. "Wait!" He cried. "Oh my god, Mary." Jeremy becoming distressed.
"Please Jason, tell me I hit a deer or a coyote, or maybe a dog."

"PLEASE JASON NOT MY MARY."
 
"Hold on." Jason fumbled with the needle cap. "This will help you calm down until we get you to the hospital." He injected Jeremy with a mild sedative as he struggled. "Please relax Jeremy, We need to get that blood pressure of yours under control."

Jeremy's eyes began to tear up as he asked Jason the question he already knew the answer to. "I hit her didn't I?" Jeremy's voice quivered as his eyes took on a glazed look. "I hit her, I hit my sweet Mary, didn't I?" He whimpered.

As he closed his eyes a tear drifted down his left cheek. Jason closed the ambulance door and tapped on the wall, instructing the driver to go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Lloyd scanned the wreckage for answers.

"Sheriff." Deputy Stevens summoned.

"Yes Jesse." Lloyd replied.

"What do you make of this mess?" He removed his cap to scratch his head. "I mean did Jeremy, you know, run her over?"

"It's too early to tell Jesse." He said as he shook his head. "I know them both too well to believe it was intentional."

"Right!" He replied.

"Sheriff, Look at her face!"

"I see it ."

  "She looks," Jesse struggled to capture the right word. "Well, terrified. Not like an accident victim to me, you know what I mean?"

"Yes I do. Lloyd bowed his head "Jesse." Lloyd said looking intently around him.

"Yes Sheriff." he perked up.

"Scour the scene, see what you can come up with." Lloyd lifted his chin and scratched at his neck.

"What are we looking for Sheriff?"

"I don't know," He said." Maybe her purse, or cell phone or anything that might help make sense of this whole damn mess. Maybe figure out why Mary's intestines are in a pile forty feet from the wreckage."

"Do you think there is something else out here Lloyd?" Jesse asked as he looked toward the ground.

"I don't know. Just look around will you?" 

"Yes sir." He replied. "Will do." He grabbed a couple of men and started the search.


"Sheriff?" voice spoke from behind him.

Immediately Lloyd knew by the strong deep voice that the man who stood behind him was none other than Theodore Brandt.

 A tall heavy framed man,clean cut and always smelled as if he hadjust walked out of the shower. 
But then again, Lloyd thought coldly. If I was a coroner surrounded by death on a daily basis, I think I would opt to shower a little more frequently than most.

"It's been a long time." He said extending his right hand outward, connecting with Teddy's.

"It has Sheriff, I was surprised to get a call from you personally. We haven't had a death outside a home, or hospital in, oh I'd would say in nine, maybe ten years now." He spoke while scratching his thumbnail against his chin.

"It's been ten years." Lloyd said. "Since the Sims brothers found themselves smack dab in front of that semi-truck. "God what a horror show that was."  Lloyd said with a grimace.

"As is this Lloyd." Teddy was quick to answer. "Is that Mary over there?" He asked. "Is that Mary Sims, their baby sister?" He asked once more. He was pretty damn sure he already knew the answer.

"It is." Lloyd replied as he removed his hat. "Get her to your lab, I would like a full autopsy ."Nausea crept  into Lloyd's gut at the thought of the process. "As soon as possible please.Things may not be as they appear I'm afraid."Lloyd said looking into Teddy's eyes. "Tell me Teddy." he paused. "How in the hell do I tell Sam and Doris Sims they've lost another child?"

"Sheriff!" Jesse's voice interrupted the conversation. "We have something over here." Jesse waved his arms in the air.

"It looks like it might be a letter or something and it has Mary's name on it." Jesse looked down at the object. "It hasn't been opened Sheriff."

"Great job deputy. Bag it, I'll examine it at the station."

"Will do!" Jesse said. "Let's get this mess cleaned up boys."

"Oh and Jesse." 

"Yes Sheriff."

"I'll see you at the hospital." Lloyd spoke as he retrieved his phone from his car. He pressed number three on the speed dial.

"Wharton County general, Debbie Wall speaking how may I direct your call?"

Debbie, a mousy little intern always chewing gum and talking with a hard Texas drawl. Lloyd could hear her popping that gum over the phone.

"Good evening Debbie, Sheriff Lloyd here."

"Hey Sheriff!" She perked up. "What can I do you for you handsome?" Debbie flirted with Lloyd, as she does with any man in uniform. 

"Well Debbie, you can stop popping that gum in my ear for starters."

She giggled. "Sorry Sheriff."

"Has Jeremy Wayne Lacey arrived yet?" He asked.

"Yes sir he has, about thirty or so minutes ago."

"Is he conscious?" Asked Lloyd. "Yes sir he is. The whole darn hospital can hear him yelling. Something about Mary. That's still Jeremy's girlfriend, right Sheriff?"

"Debbie, I need you to talk to Dr. Davis for me, ask him to keep Jeremy coherent until I get there." Lloyd could hear her excitement as she continued to smack that gum. "Debbie can you do that for me?" He asked.

"I can." She said.

"Sheriff."

"Yes Debbie."

 "Did something happen to Mary?" 

"Never you mind that young lady, I'll be there soon. If you can pass that message to Dr. Davis for me please, I would appreciate it." Lloyd pressed the end button without waiting for Debbie to respond.


Dr. Davis pulled the curtain back startling Jeremy. "Mr. Lacey, I'm Dr. Davis." He said staring at his clipboard. "Looking over your X-rays, I find that you area remarkably lucky young man."

"Thank you, I guess." seemed to be the appropriate answer at the time.

"You have a few minor lacerations and nine stitches to the forehead. You also have a pretty nasty concussion that will require you to be an overnight guest, just for observation." Dr. Davis winked at Jeremy. "Other than that, like I stated before, you're quite the lucky man."

"Thank you Dr." With a concerned look upon his face Jeremy asked. "Is sheriff Lloyd here? 
Reckon he's going to want to speak with me at some point. I would kind of like to know" His voice cut out as he choked on his words.

"I, well you know, I need to know what I hit tonight." Jeremy looked away as he spoke.

"Well, Jeremy," he said softly. That will be between you two. As far as I know, he has not arrived as of yet." Dr. Davis looked over his glasses at Jeremy.

"But I understand he is on his way until he gets here young man, you really should try to get some rest." Dr. Davis smiled. "And if it comforts you in any way, you are the only patient we have received through these doors tonight."

He was relieved to hear this news. "I guess it's the drinking and driving he will want to talk about them." Jeremy looked nervous.

"Try and get some rest, Mr. Lacey, I will check in o you later."

"Thank you, Doctor." whispered Jeremy as he closed his eyes.



  "Good evening, Debbie," Lloyd said.

"Hey, Sheriff." She said, still smacking her gum. "And howdy to you Mr. Deputy man!" She teased Jesse. 

 "We're here to see Jeremy Wayne Lacey. Can you tell me where I might find him?"

"I sure can Sheriff. He's just down..."

"Good evening sheriff!" Dr. Davis interrupted from behind.

"Good to see you again, how's Grace and the kids?" Lloyd asked while shaking Dr. Davis' hand.

"Doing fine Sheriff, doing just fine."

"Can we speak in private, Richard?" He said.

"Absolutely!" Davis directed him over by the water fountain.

Lloyd looked to his left. "Sit tight Jesse." He commanded. "I'll be back shortly." He smiled at the deputy.

"Will do Sheriff. He said as he took a seat.

"How is Jeremy?" Lloyd asked.

"He will be fine, a mild concussion, some stitches, and a few abrasions, but fine none the less." He paused.

"Jeremy believes he may have hit something before he slammed into that tree, and Lloyd I sense he doesn't think it was an animal."

Lloyd shook his head. "That's because itwasn't Richard. We are still looking into the accident, but it does appear he may have run down Mary Sims."

"Oh lord, his girlfriend?" Dr. Davis asked.

"I'm afraid so."

"We need to keep this news from Jeremy, Lloyd. at least for tonight."Davis said. "He could very well go into shock with the concussion and all. Best this is left until tomorrow. I can tell him that I turned you away tonight because he needed  the rest, he thinks you want to talk to him about the drinking and driving thing."

"I do." said Lloyd eagerly.  "I definitely want to talk to him about that. But there was something else at the scene that I wish to take a closer look at first."

"What would that be Lloyd?" He inquired.

"Uh!" Lloyd paused to gather his thoughts.

"Let me look into it first Richard.Thank you for your help, I will be back up here first thing in the morning."

"Alright Lloyd, good night!"

"Good night Richard!"



Recognized


O.K. The second chapter has been revised and is ready for review. I am still learning the editing and formatting process. I am looking for feedback which may enhance this process.
I hope you find it to be an enjoyable read. It's not as intense as the first chapter. Thank you for taking the time to read my work.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Neonewman All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Neonewman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.