Humor Poetry posted April 13, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chihuahua visits the homeland of her breed.

Homecoming

by Sis Cat

Customs inspect as to detect
No communicable disease
That would infect and cause regret
The vet praised your collar for fleas

A pill and shot, to rabies stop
Deworming meant pockets loco
To pay a lot more than we got
"Bienvenidos a Mexico!"

Tall green stalks along our walks
Plants and vines on crowded cliffs
If you could talk, what then your thoughts
Would words replace all that you sniff?

Pterodactyl seagulls spiral
Combatants engage in snatching
Food from rivals' beaks for survival
Much depends on me always watching

Upon the streets, folks smile and greet
"Chichi" and coo in Spanglish
It's so nice to meet people so sweet
Dog means love in any language



Recognized


I would like to thank April's Recognized Writer RGstar who challenged my haiku-lovin' heart to write an open syllable count, rhymed, four-stanza poem. He also edited and provided valuable suggestions as I enter the realm of rhymed verse. I owe a big debt of gratitude to him.

Since I am vacationing on a mountaintop above Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, I have the luxuries of time and isolation to try other complex forms of poetry. I chose as my subject my Chihuahua Mina's homecoming in Mexico, and added a fifth stanza to RGstar's challenge, forming a story. Everyone here has or had at one point a Chihuahua, so they greet her as is she was Chloe in the movie "Beverley Hills Chihuahua." People kept calling her "Chichi" and I did not know what that meant until I learned that Chihuahuas are thought to be the descendants of Techichi, the companion dog of the ancient Toltecs. As you can see by my picture, walking though the outdoor markets with Mina, I am an easy mark for Chihuahua knickknacks.

More poems are coming inspired by my walks with Mina on a Mexican mountain.

Thank you for your review.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sis Cat All rights reserved.
Sis Cat has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.