Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted April 8, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Teaching commentary

Object Lesson

by patcelaw



















Some time ago I was asked to minister to the teens of our church on a Wednesday night. There were about twelve teens in the room. I had an object lesson to challenge their thinking, about sin and how others are affected by our actions.

I had with me an egg carton with four fresh eggs as a part of my object lesson.

I said to the teens, "I want to talk to you tonight about sin and how it affects us and those around us."

We discussed the subject of sin for about fifteen minutes and there were some very thoughtful responses from the youngsters.

One response I heard in particular was, "if I sin it only affect me and my relationship with God."

That is exactly the kind of response I was looking for.

I took the four eggs out of the carton, holding two eggs in each hand. I told the kids the eggs were fresh eggs. Then said, "Now, if I throw these eggs onto the ceiling above your heads, would my sin affect only me?"

They all answered at once and said, "you are not going to throw the eggs are you?"

"No, but I want you to think about this, how my sin would affect others and not just me?"

Again there was a resounding chorus of voices, singing, NO, it would affect all of us."

"Exactly, my friends it would affect all, which is my point.

With the object lesson completed, we then had further discussion about how our sin affects others around us, and as Christian girls, boys, men and women we need to show how we live what is right in the sight of God, as our sin could well cause others to sin as well.

I concluded the time by reminding them to make sure what they did in their everyday lives, would be pure and honest in the eyes
of God.

-Patricia Lawrence
4-8-17



Recognized


I have often wondered if those teens remembered that lesson.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.