Biographical Script posted March 26, 2017 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Prose Potlatch Challenge-A Change

A chapter in the book Scripts

A Lucky Kidnapping

by michaelcahill


 
This takes place in the fifties. It begins in Michigan and ends up in California. It is the story of my kidnapping as I remember it. I wasn't aware of it being a kidnapping at the time nor did I find it to be a traumatic occurrence as some might suspect. The whys and wherefores are for another time and left to the perspective of my older self. This is how it appeared to me as a two-year-old.
 

Characters:

Michael: Two-years-old. A happy boy. Somewhat precocious and outgoing.

His mother: Schizophrenic and dominated completely by her own mother. A sweet loving but decidedly in the grips of her illness women. The treatment available at the time was shock therapy.

His grandmother: A domineering sort. He called her "Bobo" due to the difficulty enunciating "Pauline".  She was the undisputed head of the clan.

Old Earl: He wasn't that old. Indeed, he was younger than grandma who was his girl though it was unspoken. He was a card-carrying wino and volatile when under the influence which was often.

Aunt Ann: A bit mean-spirited and petty, but nice to Michael ... everyone was.

Uncle Johnny: One eyed, funny and full of big ideas.

Old man Tapfer: Aunt Ann's beau or sugar daddy of sorts. He was old to say the least. I never discovered much about him. I assume he had some money and Aunt Ann needed it.

Voice of grown up Michael: Just to fill in some blanks.
 
Fade in
Michael is alone on the front porch of an older house. There is a removable gate across the egress to keep him from going down the steps. A car pulls up and his mother exits the car and rushes up to the porch.
 
Mother
C'mon, Michael, we're going for a little ride.
 
She scoops him up and rushes to the waiting car. It's in gear and running, waiting to go. No one on the inside of the house is aware that Michael has been taken. He's put in the back seat and the car speeds away.

Aunt Ellen walks out the front door to find Michael missing. She looks up to see the familiar yellow Mercury that belongs to Grandma Roussin rounding the corner onto Durand Ave. She knows Michael is in that car. She doesn't yet realize she won't see him again for forty-five years. (Another story)

Fade out
 

Scene Two

Fade in
 
The yellow Mercury is pulled off to the side of the road and steam is rising from the radiator. It has suffered vapor lock, a common malady of cars back in the day. The cure is letting the car cool off. Michael has taken center stage and is imitating the shuffling walk of old man Tapfer much to the howling delight of all concerned ... Tapfer excluded, of course.
 
Grandma
Why, he's a natural. He's got that old goat down to a tee.
She laughs out loud. Her sister, Aunt Ann, covers her mouth out of deference to her beau, but is clearly amused.

Mother
Why yes, he's a natural alright. He's got that old goat down to a tee. Right down to a tee, he does.
She bursts out laughing and it sounds like the laughter of someone insane, which it is.

Michael
Damn car. A pile of junk. A pile of junk. Ohhhh ....

The more the crowd reacted the more into he got. It was clear he enjoyed the attention.

Old Earl
Where's my damn thermous. If that wouldn't kill corn ass high than nothing would. Who's got my thermous.

Uncle Johnny
Oh, I gave that to Michael. He said it helped him with stage fright.

Old Earl
Are you kiddin' me? That had my medicine in it, you can't give that to a ... oh, real funny. A funny man. Real funny.

Aunt Ann
Hollywood. That's right where we're going ya know. It's right down the street. That boy right there was born to entertain. You're fools if you don't take advantage of that.
 
Voice of grown up Michael
I so clearly remember this event. The thrill of entertaining these people had a huge impact on me. I relished every laugh. It delighted me. A star was born right there. Not that I would be a star, but the concept of entertaining people and getting that reaction, that is what became an integral part of my persona. Whether on a stage or simply at a small gathering, that need has always been a part of me. I imagine it is both endearing and off putting to those who know me. It was typical of Aunt Ann to say things out loud. The rest of the family would pretend that all the lessons and interviews and agents were all for my benefit. But Aunt Ann, she spoke the truth. They all saw me as the great hope for the family, their one chance at riches and fame. Nope, just a few laughs.


 
Fade out
 

Scene Three

Fade in
A yellow Mercury pulls into the driveway of a white house with a small front yard. It sits on a block with many similar houses in a variety of colours. It's a typical suburban California neighborhood. It's where Michael would grow up.
 
Voice of grown up Michael
210 North Curtis Ave, Alhambra, California. A suburb of Los Angeles. A far cry from Durand, Michigan. I would find out years later, over forty, that the family I left behind were a bit racist and conservative. Well, I grew up neither. I was pure liberal Californian to the bone. I experienced the sixties right where it took place practically sitting on the pulse of it.
 
Young neighbor (girl about sixteen years' old)
Aww, look at the cute little girl.
 
Grandma
He's a boy. Don't you know a boy when you see one?
 
Young neighbor
Jeesh. Don't have cow lady. Not my fault he's so pretty with that long hair.
 
Voice of grown up Michael
I remember being delighted they thought I was a girl. Hell, I can't begin to tell you why, but it amused me greatly. No, I didn't want to be a girl. It just tickled me for some reason and I recall it clearly. I've always had strange reactions like that. No idea why.
 
Michael runs up to the girl and grabs her hand smiling. She picks him up and he laughs.
 
Young neighbor
Well, I'll say this, Ma'am, he's a cutie.
 
Voice of grown up Michael
I was to finally reunite with my Father's side of the family some forty odd years later upon the death of my Mother. It was an amazing revelation. They were fine people and I discovered I was near a legend to that side of the family. Young Michael who was kidnapped from the front porch of his aunt's house and never seen again etc. What struck me was how different they were from me. They were as I implied rather racist and conservative, a far cry from the hippie boy I grew up to be. It was at the reunion it occurred to me what a great favour my mom had done me that day. I truly like what I grew up to be. Thanks for kidnapping me, Mom.
 
Fade out


 
The End

 



Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized




The topic is "a change". Write about a time when there was a change in your life--how it happened, what you felt etc. Can be a huge change or a minor one-

an illness
a wedding
birth of a child
move to a new place
new job
writing your first story etc, a change however you choose to define it.

Have fun! Debbie

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.