Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 26, 2017 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sharon Montoya showers Cody with special attention

A chapter in the book Legs

Walkaway Joe

by Brett Matthew West




Background
Socialite Sharon Montoya's brutal murder draws Cody in as a suspect...for a good reason.






SETTING: Still situated at the witness stand in one of the highest profile murder cases to ever rock Brazos County, Cody continues telling the story. From high on his bench, Judge Stancil, who has always been very fond of the boy, allows him to take his time and speak whatever is on his mind. The solemn old Judge believes Cody knows much more about this case than has come out, including who the murderer is.

First, Cody looks at the Defendant, John Marbly. He is seated, leaned back in his chair. Marbly has his fingers interlocked and his hands cupped behind his head. He is still amazed that Cody has claimed he did not murder Sharon Montoya.

Next, Cody observes Beth Sorenson who has returned to Astatula in support of John Marbly. She is seated on a chair beside the defendant. Following his glance at Beth, Cody focuses his attention on Naomi, the young receptionist at The Queens. Finally, he looks at his Dad. Nothing is said between any of them.

Having read the previous chapters of this story do you know who the murderer is? The guilty person is sitting in the courtroom. Is it one of the attendees Cody has just acknowledged, or maybe another character who is yet to be identified? Perhaps it is the little blond munchkin himself? Feel free to state your response to that question in your reviews.

Shall we continue with this story now? Maybe this chapter will provide you the clues necessary to identify the real murderer.


____________________________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________


The epic battle between the two highest ranked players on the World Tennis Federation tour raged on for more than a grueling hour. The classic contested the Swedish Torpedo Tomas Fionnula against the Canadian Upstart Robbie Nokomis. Volley after volley, lob on lob, rained down as the participants fired hard-smashing shots at one another. Sizzling backhands were countered by blistering forehands. Neither player gained much of an advantage before the other one rallied to match their opponent's efforts.

It was one of the finest matches Cody had worked yet at The Queens. He could count the players' foot faults on one hand. There weren't many errors committed by either player. One point away from winning the match, Nokomis served three times for the fifth and final set. On each occasion, Fionnula thwarted him. A drop shot at the net finally secured the victory.

The popular and lanky redhead, Robbie Nokomis had extended his winning streak in tournaments hosted by The Queens to nine in a row. He would move on to the Quarterfinals of the double elimination event. Tomas Fionnula would find a harder route as one more loss would eliminate him from contention. The fans, loudly applauding the efforts of both players, hoped they would meet again before the competition ended.

The bright, high, afternoon Texas sun pressed down broiling hot. Perspiration created by racing to retrieve balls out of play, matted Cody's blond head. He could feel it reddening his face. Cody's responsibility was to roll the fetched balls to Jerry Maira at the wide side of the baseline. Jerry would toss them to the player serving as they were needed.

The boys worked well in tandem keeping the players stocked in tennis balls and helping the match move along. Jerry, who had worked at The Queens the previous summer, under instructions by Sharon Montoya, had taken Cody under his wing since he became a Ball Fetcher and shown him the ropes. For his part, Cody was a quick learner. He was having a blast and was glad he had persuaded his Dad to allow him to take on the position.

Additional excitement in the match occurred when a green iguana ran out on to the court. The crowd cheered loudly as Cody threw a towel over the creature's head, grabbed it by the tail, and carried the critter safely away. There would be no chicken in his stewpot tonight.

After the third set concluded, Cody cooled off on a print-patterned chaise lounger in Sharon Montoya's office. She had summoned his presence. This was the first of three matches Cody was scheduled to work that day.

Cody wondered what the President of The Queens desired of him? He'd been performing his job properly. Or, at least, he thought he had. Maybe it had something to do with placing the iguana he had captured on the court on the railing in front of the front row spectators? Perhaps someone had gotten bitten by the sunning lizard wannabe? Was it Cody's fault he liked animals?

From out of nowhere an ice cold bottle of Pepsi appeared on the table in front of him. Two soft hands massaged the tops of his warm shoulders. The velvety touch felt good.

"You like that special little attention, Cody?" Sharon Montoya affectionately smiled at him, "A boy like you deserves to be spoiled!" Those were the words Cody heard as she began gently caressing his chest.

Cody noticed she wore a cherry-red long-sleeved Jovani dress with a descending neckline. One he was certain she had not worn in quite a while. Flowing lusciously over her hips, the evening gown seemed out of place for a tennis club.

"That felt real good, Miss Montoya," Cody sheepishly admitted enjoying the massage he'd received.

"I've instructed you before to call me Sharon. So, cut out the Miss Montoya crap, Cody!" she sharply demanded.

Cody shifted his position on the lounger.

With a smile even a boy could recognize, she softened her approach, and the tone of her voice, telling him, "To you, my name is Sharon. No more formalities, okay?"

Cody grew slightly nervous. He wasn't sure what to make of Sharon Montoya, and what was beginning to feel like an uncomfortable fondness she was developing toward him. Nor did Cody realize Sharon Montoya, the notorious Black Widow of The Queens, was trying to win his trust in the most inappropriate way. He had much to learn.

"Center Court calls," Cody told her saying, "I guess I should get back to courtside."

As he left her office, Sharon Montoya purred, "There's a lot more waiting for you here at The Queens than you may envision, Cody. A whole lot more!"

With a quizzical glance, Cody slipped out of the office. He was beginning to like Sharon Montoya. He thought she was a good employer. What he didn't know was how good she was at plying her trade. Soon he would. Unable to resist Cody's charms and exuberant charisma, Sharon Montoya decided to become his mentor. Sometimes the youngest set made the tastiest treats.




Cody receives special treatment from Sharon Montoya.






This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to complement all my Cody Schroder stories.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my Cody Schroder stories.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.