Essay Non-Fiction posted March 21, 2017 Chapters:  ...53 54 -55- 56 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Donald's choice for Supreme Court Justice

A chapter in the book Breakfast With The Donald!

Confirming Neil Gorsuch

by Brett Matthew West



Background
Essays about the 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump
Since the United States was originally founded in 1776, there have been 124 Supreme Court Justices confirmed by the Senate. The process is an arduous one. In the case of Neil Gorsuch, a Denver-based 10th US Circuit Judge who The Donald tapped to become the newest member of the Supreme Court, this process has included many one-on-one meetings with Senators.

As the confirmation process begins, there will be at least two days of testimony. Opening statements by Neil Gorsuch, as well as the twenty member-Senate Judiciary Committee who will each speak for ten minutes, and witnesses testifying after those procedures have been completed will also be a part of the formalities.

The United States Constitution allows for the President to nominate a Supreme Court Judge. Ambiguous, all the Constitution states in that regard is, "By and with the advice and consent of the Senate." It is the Senate rules and traditions that dictate the confirmation process.

Neil Gorsuch has already met with 72 Senators in advance hearings. He has been a participant in intense Trump Administration-facilitated questioning to prepare him to face the Senate. Previous topics of Senate inquiries for prospective Supreme Court Justices have included the legal qualifications of the nominated Judge, their position on political issues of the day, how they interpret the Constitution of the United States, legal philosophy, and legal controversies.

Should Gorsuch be confirmed as the newest Supreme Court Justice, he would tilt the Court to a Conservative advantage. Democrats are likely to prod him if he is reluctant to concisely answer questions about current Court issues. For instance, Chuck Schumer, the Leader of the Senate Democrats, has already been critical of Gorsuch because he failed to precisely respond to his asking the Judge if The Donald's immigration ban is constitutional?

During Gorsuch's confirmation hearing, advocacy groups and former colleagues will testify in favor of, or opposed to, his confirmation. One high mark Gorsuch has in his favor appears to come from the American Bar Association's Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary. Previously providing Gorsuch a "well qualified" and unanimous rating, this Republican-led committee is expected to favorably report Gorsuch's nomination to the floor of the Senate who will have the ultimate say on whether or not he is confirmed.

More than half of the Senate is expected to vote in favor of Gorsuch, but he needs sixty votes to become confirmed. That means eight Democrats or Independents would also have to vote for him for the nomination not to be blocked. Several experts believe this will be the Democrats goal. Should that occur, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell could hold a vote to lower the confirmation threshold in what is referred to as "the nuclear option."

The real confirmation vote could be a simple majority confirms Neil Gorsuch as the newest Supreme Court Judge.




The confirmation process for Neil Gorsuch is underway. Will he become the newest United States Supreme Court Judge?


No matter what your thoughts and feelings about Trump are feel free to state them in your reviews.

As American citizens, we all have the right to state our opinions. And, that is what this book is designed for. Getting people talking about The Donald.






Here I come To Save The Day, by Barb Baker, selected to complement my Essay.

So, thanks Barb Baker, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my Essay.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.