General Non-Fiction posted March 20, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Understanding can increase when fed truth

Understanding Jesus

by Deniz22


Colossians 1:18: "And He (Christ) is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in ALL things He may have the preeminence."


Comment: "First Born" is a term for a position (with spiritual implications) which is not limited to a chronological sense.




For instance, Esau was Isaac's Firstborn and stood to inherit all that position provided. Yet his fleshy lusts caused him to 'despise' (read ignore) his spiritual blessing and sell it to Jacob for a miserable bowl of bean soup! In this transfer of ownership, we can see the birthright position is not limited to those born first.

How different with our Lord Jesus! He is named by the Father as His Firstborn, and is the only human ever to be conceived in a virgin's womb by the operation of the Holy Spirt.

Thus He is truly, "the only begotten" of the Father, and so born without a sinful nature. Modern translators have done us no favor by their term "the One and only Son of God" since God has many spiritually begotten (born-again) sons, but only one such "begotten One". In their desire to show His uniqueness, they have only blurred the lines of distinction! Adam was created, Eve was created out of Adam, while all other humans were born in the usual way. Christ alone was "begotten" into humanity by the Spirit.

In any case, God has appointed Christ as the Firstborn of creation and the Firstborn from the dead, that He might have the preeminence in ALL things! This includes being the true Head of the Church of the Living God.

Having voluntarily taken the lowest position on the cross as a forsaken sinner, God has raised Him up to all the honor due to the Firstborn of God and vowed that "every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord, to the glory of the Father."

Christ is God, the Second Person of the Trinity. He voluntarily took on flesh and was born in time, though as God He has always been eternal. As a sinless Man, He humbled Himself, emptied Himself of His own God powers and rights, and did ALL His mighty works through the power of the Holy Spirit, the Third Person of the Trinity. Among other things, we believers are given here a perfect example by Him of the proper way to serve God...through the Spirit's direction and enabling.

The failure to understand the truth of Christ's humbling of Himself to take on the limitations of a man while remaining the Eternal God, cause the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Mormons, the Christian Scientists and all other cults to deny the deity of Christ. Just before He went back to Heaven, He commanded the church to be His witnesses...impossible for those who deny His own claims to Deity!

Having put Himself into the hands of God His Father as a human, He was enabled by the Eternal Spirit to offer up His sinless, spotless life as a blood sacrifice for the sin of Adam.

This first sin of Adam was the door to the human race by which Satan was and is raising an army of rebels, made in his own evil image and vehemently against God and His Christ. The Old Serpent bit our first father Adam and so also injected all his offspring with the deadly venom of sin.

Christ died for the sin of Adam and all the rest of us. In fact, God is right now, completely and eternally reconciled concerning the sin of all men, believers and none believers alike! None believers are still in eternal jeopardy until they believe, but we who believe and trust in the atonement Christ provided, are eternally secure, born into the forever family of God and written in the Lamb's book of life.

God has balanced the books of His own Holy righteousness, which no spiritually bankrupt sinner could ever do. God has received the payment for sin, the precious (read priceless) blood of Jesus. We could say, God has poured the blood of Jesus all over the account books in Heaven, blotting out the complete and meticulously kept records of our crimes against Him!

What shall we say to these things? Every person is born a sinner. This is not our fault. We had no choice in this matter. Yet a choice does remain, so we don't die in our sin.. Christ has made eternal life with God possible for all, by already having paid for our sin. So what choice remains?

Each person must chose to trust in Christ's atonement. Only one sin is not covered by Christ's death and that is the sin of unbelief or rejection of Christ. The price of that awful sin is your undying soul. In a way, you stand today at the crossroads where Adam stood so long ago. He was told not to eat the forbidden fruit, on pain of spiritual death. Yet he chose to eat and plunged the world into darkness, despair and death.

By contrast to Adam and the forbidden act of eating, we as sinners, born spiritually dead, are told to eat! Jesus said, "I am the bread of Heaven, that a man may eat and not die". And again; "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.John 6:54

How does one "eat" this bread of Heaven, drink His blood and live forever in happy relationship with God our Creator?

Simply believe the record God has given us. "Eating and drinking" in a spiritual sense speaks of an inner trust in scripture which can develop to impart constant confidence in God. What mother has not said to her children, "Take time to chew your food! Don't just swallow it whole." In the same way, meditate on the Word of God, Be like Mary, who "pondered these things in her heart." Grow strong to the glory of God.

Many of us have eaten and drunk yet remain weak and easily shaken in our faith. So keep on eating and drinking as Jesus taught:"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." John 6:56

Having believed, keep on eating the Word of God to feed the new life God gives believers. The Bible is crammed full of spiritually nourishing food, rich with promises and satisfying counsel.

Luke 24:32: And they said to one another, "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?"

He is still doing this for any who want to learn of Him. Don't settle for less!




Many have trusted Christ which is the first step in becoming a Christian. Growth in grace comes from understanding Christ and His agenda through studying the Word of God. I hope some will find this article helpful as well as encouraging. We all marvel at the miracles God can do and has done in the life of so many, but let us understand we need to learn to feed ourselves with the Word of God so we gain strength to glorify God and to help one another in the right way. God bless you, Dennis
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Deniz22 All rights reserved.
Deniz22 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.