General Fiction posted March 12, 2017 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana tries to talk with Anderson.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Sechs part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Don't be silly. I'm always willing to help people." Anderson set his jaw. "Are you going to take your next shot or gossip like an old lady?"

"I hit a nerve. Fourteen-ball in the corner pocket." Philip aimed his shot and then looked up as Romeo walked in. "Drew." He nodded toward the dog.

Axel and Thor left Anderson's side and went over to greet Romeo. Behind Romeo was a fully dressed Shana.

"Shana, I thought you'd gone to bed." Anderson stared at her.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 6 part 3

Shana stepped closer to the pool table. "I had but would like to talk with you. Is that all right?"

Philip put his pool cue in the rack hanging on the wall. "I need to check on some things for tomorrow. Drew, I'll talk with you later." He winked at his boss, grinned, and then started for the door.

Turning toward him, Shana said, "You don't need to leave on my account."

"I'm not. I really do have some things I need to attend to."

After a large swallow, Shana faced Anderson. "I'm sorry for the problems I caused this afternoon. I didn't think things through." She stared at her feet. "When I came to the den, I wasn't eavesdropping. There was something I needed to talk with you about. I accidentally overheard part of the conversation and left immediately."

"I understand. Exactly what did you hear?" Anderson held the cue beside his leg.

"I'm guessing the man you were speaking with was a lawyer. I heard you state your ex-wife had visited earlier today and complained about me staying here and you asked if she could use that against you during custody litigation."

"Did you wait for Isaiah's answer?" Anderson's eyes met hers.

"No, I realized it was private and left."

"If you would have stayed, you would've heard him tell me that it would NOT be an issue."

"I'm sorry. I just didn't want to be more of a problem than I already am."

"You're not a problem." Anderson paused. "What did you want to discuss with me?"

"The clothes that were delivered this afternoon. I can't accept them. Please send them back. I've packed them exactly the way they were delivered." Shana chewed on her lower lip.

"You might as well wear them. I'm not sending them back."

"But...."

"If you don't like them, I'll have Jane exchange them for something you do like," interrupted Anderson, "but if you like them then they're yours to keep." He looked at the pool table and then at her. "Money isn't an issue. I can afford a few clothes."

"I don't think it's appropriate for me to accept such an expensive gift."

"You've already mentioned that, and I've said I could afford it. As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is over."

Shana squared her shoulders. "Do you always get your way?"

Anderson grinned. "Usually." He lifted his pool cue. "Do you play?"

"Never have." Shana took a deep breath. "I guess I could learn."

"Good." Anderson racked the balls and explained the object of the game. He handed Shana a cue. "You go first."

Shana took it and approached the table. "How far can I lean over?"

"Let me help." Anderson stood behind her and moved her hands for the appropriate placement. His large hands covered her petite ones. Her skin's soft. "Now, pull the cue back and glide it through your left hand fingers, taking careful aim at the cue-ball."

Anderson inhaled the scent of Shana's hair. Lavender. I can't do this.

Shana glanced over her shoulder. Their lips were within inches of each other. "Am I ready to take my shot?" She hesitated. "What do I do now?"

Letting go of her hands, Anderson stepped back. "I bet you're hungry." He took out his cell. "Helen, could you heat our dinners? Shana's ready to eat."



Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her families painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Ben -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Morozov -- owner of the painting 'Winter-Traum' by Bruno Schmidt

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.








Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a couple playing pool. HMMMM! I'm struggling with this post. I hope I have it right. I wanted to convey Anderson's budding feeling for Shana. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I'm listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.