General Non-Fiction posted March 14, 2017 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
After much contemplation, I present my plan to my students.

A chapter in the book The Educational Corporate Model: Us

Chemistry Corporate Model- Part 1

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Developed to give students a chance to reach their full potential by stimulating their imagination, creating challenges, giving choices, increasing interest, and providing personal connections.
Chapter 2:

When classes resumed after a two-week winter break, I felt prepared for the new semester and a fresh start. The Gifted and Talented Conference I had attended gave me ideas for ways to differentiate and motivate gifted learners in my class. In addition, I read several books and interviewed a few businessmen to prepare a new teaching model.  

The tilt my world had undergone when I conceived the idea of changing my teaching paradigm had begun to steady itself. It was replaced by a firm sense of resolve, one that could, potentially, take me further than I had ever gone as an educator.

A new semester loomed ahead, and with that, a chance for unprecedented beginnings. I had completed a two week trial run of the rudimentary components of my plan before the break. The results had been immediate, and favorable. Scores on the Unit 6 test showed positive growth from the year before by 5%. It wasn't the result I was aiming for, but it was a start.

When the bell rang to usher students in, I smiled and nodded at each one . . . most smiled back. They knew I had instructional changes planned, and were almost as eager to start them as I was. Fifteen-year-olds possess both a great sense of adventure and loosely defined comfort zones. I was about to challenge both.

"Do we have a new seating chart?" the first student in the room asked. He waved a hand toward the row of empty desks.

"For now," I replied, "sit where you'd like. There'll be some shuffling of students due to schedule changes and new groups."

"Can I sit in my old seat for now?"

"Sure, go ahead."

The student sat down and waited for his peers.

One-by-one, the other youngsters entered the classroom and found a place to sit, each clearly pleased they were not being told which desk was theirs.

The bell rang for class to begin. I called roll to see if everyone on my list was present, and then turned my attendance in online. I couldn't help reminiscing about the days when we used paper roll sheets we hung on the door for students to collect and take to the office. Ah, times had changed, and technology was great. I stood up and faced the class again.

"As promised," I said. "We're going to do things a bit differently. Some of what I'll tell you, you're going to love. Other things will be a bit uncomfortable."

There were general nods of understanding from the collective. Most kids were eager to get started, but a few were still apprehensive. John who, it seemed, hadn't left yet, sat in the back, an eyebrow cocked, unsure. He hadn't responded to the trial run, and I didn't harbor much hope for this model, either.

"The way we're going to do this," I said, "is to get all of you to help me with the PowerPoint. Someone in row one will read the first slide, another student in the same group will interpret it, and then a third will share their thoughts. I'll comment, then open the floor to discussion.

"After we talk about the slide, we'll move to the next one, and the procedure will repeat with group two, and so on until the presentation ends."

"Miss," a student said. She raised her hand. "Should we take notes?"

"Not this time. I'll upload it to Google classroom by the end of the day. I just want you to listen and comment. In fact, put away your chromebooks and cell phones, so your focus is up here."

The student nodded. They were prepared for an unusual day.

I turned on the Smartboard and the giant screen at the front of the room lit up. The first slide glowed for all to see.



"Group one, have you chosen a reader?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'll do it." Isabel was a supervisor from the trial run and had already taken authority in the row she was presently in. She read what was on the slide.

As though on cue, another student from her row began to speak. "Since you told us you were going to build on what we did before break, I'm guessing you are going to use things from the business world to help us in our groups."

"You're so right. Who in your row is going to share their feelings about the concept?"

"I know a little about business," one of the girls said, "and this sounds like fun. My family owns a Mexican restaurant in town."

"Good, maybe one of your family members can come speak to us. How do you feel about the part that says, 'student-led'?"

A girl from another group raised her hand before she could answer. "Does that mean students are going to stand in the front like you and lecture? If so, no disrespect, but what will we need you for?"

I smiled at the students. I had anticipated this question, and attitude, so no offense was taken.

"It means," I explained, "things are going to rearrange a bit about how you learn. When we're through with the presentation, maybe you'll get a better idea of what I mean. As far as whether I'm needed, I sincerely hope I am, but not in the way I was. The walls of this class are about to disappear, along with the time you're in chemistry. This will no longer be just one of your classes, it will become an adventure into your future, and chemistry will be happening all around you."

I waited so see if there were any more questions, and then switched to slide two. Another image appeared on the board.



Recognized


Image came from google.

I am writing this book because my District Science Coordinator asked me to after observing and interacting with my chemistry classes. Wish me luck!

FYI, you'll see John again later, and the changes he and I both undergo.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.