Fantasy Science Fiction posted March 6, 2017 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Archie and the others attempt to cross the road to freedom.

A chapter in the book Humanity Project

The Asphalt Divide

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.


Background
Archie and the others try to make their way across the highway and toward freedom. All they have to do is escape several Cougar Kin guards, and Leander's son, Junior.
End of last chapter:

"Ayala?"

"Archie?"

"Yeah."

"Let's get out of here."

"Where's the road? I can't see a thing?"

"I remember the way. Just follow me."

"What about Koko and Sani?"

"I can't see them, but they're probably making for the road, too. I suspect our odd little companion is responsible for the diversion, and he and Koko were standing together."

"Okay, but if they aren't there waiting, I'm coming back. Without Koko, I have no reason to run away."

"And without Sani," Archie added, "we won't know how to get to Mine City."


The Story Continues:

Archie's chest heaved as he fought to breathe thin, dusty air. His legs, seemingly strapped with lead, thrust against brittle earth as he pressed forward. Almost as though locked in a distorted dream, Archie struggled to make his way across the broken terrain.

Archie could see Ayala toiling by his side, her lithe body fighting against the same obstacles he encountered, but traveling with ease and grace. He wondered if her animal genes were at work, giving her added stamina in the desert contest, or if it was mere desperation that drove her.

The echoing sound of a gun drawn from its holster distracted Archie's musings.

"Down!" he cried.

Archie grabbed Ayala's arm and pulled her to the ground. They landed on unyielding asphalt, and began rolling toward the other side of the road. Over and over they went, while radiating heat penetrated their light clothing. And on they rolled.

Finally, Archie felt the prickling of cactus against his ankles, and the strong scent of sage in his nostrils. He had made it to the other side. Ayala rolled against his side.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, just a little bruised. You?"

"Good. Stay down until we're sure they're finished shooting."

"Okay."

Dust hung in the air from their struggle, but Archie could still see the Cougars. . . they were on the other side of the highway. One held up a gun, but didn't fire.

Sani had been right -- they wouldn't cross the road, either personally, or with a gunshot. Archie let out a sigh of relief, but shuddered as he saw hate pouring out of faces that appeared, now, more animal than human.

"Please tell me I don't look like them."

"You don't. Hatred drives us to our animal natures. Those guys just had a shorter trip there."

"I still don't feel comfortable about my heritage."

"I probably wouldn't, either, but, for now I'd just go with it. Lean on your human side, but allow the strength of the coyote to come out. They're survivors, my friend."

"You sound like Sani."

"Don't tell him."

"Our secret. Can you see him and Koko yet?"

"I don't see anything but Cougars."

"What about Junior? I can't imagine he would let a mere road stop him."

A familiar voice spoke out, startling them both.

"The little whelp might fight well enough in direct combat, but he's too much of a coward to chance coming across the road."

"Sani! You made it," Ayala said. "Where's Koko?"

"I'm here," Koko said. She leaned out from behind a sage bush where she was sitting. "I was just resting a moment. We made it across before you did. We heard the gunshot and feared the worst."

"We ducked in time," Archie explained.

"Glad to hear it, Son," Sani said. "Now, if everyone is rested, we need to get moving. We have to make it to the mountain tunnels before Junior gets back to the village. The hospital is full of humans he can report to. That's where they do their experiments, you know."

"I'd rather not think about it," Ayala said, "but point taken."

"The whole thing is rather complicated," Sani said. "I'll explain it all when you're ready. . . after we've taken care of your friends in Mine City."

"So, we're going to stick with the original plan, then?" Archie asked.

"Certainly," Sani said. "The Cougar attack wasn't unexpected, and Junior's reaction far too predictable. Off to the mines with us. I can't wait to get back in my element."

"Do we really have a chance once we get there?" Koko asked.

"Sometimes the greatest battles are won by the smallest forces, child," Sani replied.

"You mean us?" Ayala asked. "We barely made it away from a handful of surprised Cougar guards. What chance do we have against prepared resistance?"

"Not much if we were acting alone, but we have others waiting to help."

"Seriously?" Archie asked, "Why didn't you tell us about them before?"

"I never reveal everything at once. Poor etiquette, you know. Besides, you can never be sure about the little folk until they're ready to fight."

"Little folk?" Archie asked.

"Yes, yes, the Tommyknockers. They're leprechaun-like creatures that live in the walls of the mines. All miners know of them. They help the lost, and warn of danger."

"Are you serious? We're headed to the inner tunnels of a mountain range, in the middle of who knows where, because you think a bunch of leprechauns are going to help us free Ayala and Koko's people?"

"Don't discount what you don't understand, son," Sani retorted, "or you'll go through life seeing only what you expect to see."

"What's wrong with that?"

"You'll miss all the good stuff."

Archie shook his head, but didn't say anything. He figured it would do no good to argue with the old man. At least Sani was an expert with explosives, and that would come in handy when the Tommyknockers didn't show up to lead the charge.



Recognized



A special thanks for the artwork, "cougar" by kathy1256

Tommyknockers are mythical creatures thought to inhabit the walls of the mines. They supposedly came to this country on boats with the early Irish miners. Relatives to leprechauns, Tommyknockers are supposed to protect and warn miners of danger.


A note on the purpose of the animal DNA discovery. This book is intended to be Science Fiction and Fantasy, but it has an underlying theme. There have been groups of people throughout time that have been treated as less than human, even experimented on in some cases. it's also to bring up any discrimination against other groups of people. It happened in the past, and is still happening today. The poor, ethnic groups, sexual orientation, mental illness, people from other countries, etc. There is a lot of different types of experimentation where we try to "cure" what we don't understand. It is my intention to use a fantasy environment to teach cultural tolerance, while telling a yarn. Thank you to those of you who look beyond the story.

Summary of the book so far:

Archie Franklin is a United States Senator from the State of Texas. He's also the President's son.
He was traveling the west, scoping out New Mexico for a committee he was on, when a deer ran in front of his Ferrari and caused him to crash.

He was rescued from the desert by a group from a cult-like village called Hokee. In this town, the people are part of an experiment to improve the human condition by taking orphans and raising them isolated from many of the modern conveniences that make mankind weak.

The children, as young as 5, are placed in houses named after animals, but otherwise taught animals are dangerous and unclean. Each "house" has a particular job in the community based on the attributes of the representative animal.

The leader, Leander, chooses what children are brought to the village. He doesn't want anyone to know about the compound so they can maintain isolation. Archie is now a prisoner, but has befriended a young lady, Koko, whose husband has come up missing, and is assumed imprisoned in a penal mining colony.

Working against odds, the two hope to escape and protect Koko's unborn child. Having babies at stage one of the experiment is forbidden by the scientists in charge. Teens are sterilized at puberty to avoid pregnancies, but occasionally one will be conceived. Standard operating procedure is to perform an abortion, but Koko is willing to fight against all she's grown up to believe to give her child a chance at life.

Now, Archie, Koko and Sani have escaped the complex after the old miner, Sani, set off an explosive distraction. On the way through a fence, they ran into Ayala, Koko's "sister" who tried to stop them. In order to ensure her silence, they tied her up and took her with them.

After traveling all night, they stopped at dawn to dig a shelter under the sand. Covering themselves with a blanket they wove from plants, they are resting from enemies and the heat of the day.

Archie and Koko begin to read a book Archie rescued from Hokee before they left. It is the story of the experiment called The Humanity Project.

These are the 12 houses of Hokee:

Hawk: Where Leander Jr. lives. They are the strict rulers of the compound, answerable only to Leander Sr..

Cougar: The strong arms of the Hawks. They dish out whatever punishment is required, even to sending miscreants to another settlement they have up North in the mines.

Coyote: The one Archie and Ayala are in: Job: Teachers and professors. Allowed more knowledge of the "outside world".

Ant: Considered unclean, these people tend meat and fur animals outside the village

Tarantula: Architects, and menders

Donkey: Transportation and communication

Wasp: Prepare and serve food

Deer: Sports and entertainment

Hare: Make and distribute clothing

Rat: Childcare

Snake: healthcare

Buzzards: Clean up crew, maintain sewer and custodial chores


General Summary of the Book:

Young Texas Senator, Archie Franklin, finds himself marooned in the desert with a group of people who are more than they appear to be on the surface.

Hokee: Name of the village Archie is held in. It means, "The abandoned."

Characters:

Archimedes (Archie) Franklin: High energy, main protagonist, who is, also, a Senator from Texas, and son of the President of the United States, Andrew Franklin.

Ayala: Female head of household in the house Archie finds himself imprisoned.

Andrew (Andy) Franklin: President of the United States, and father of Archie.

Koko: Ayala's best friend in Coyote House, close as sisters, born on the same day.

Todd: Koko's husband

Sani: Old man. Used to be a miner up north. Another trapped refugee from the desert. An ally in the quest to escape.

Leander: Head scientist in charge of the structure of Hokee. His son, Leander, is in charge of daily operations.

Junior: Leander's son, who lives in the Hawk house. He's personally a coward, but rules Hokee with an iron fist.

Others to be listed as they appear in the book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.