General Poetry posted February 21, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Lake Meade

Late Winter Morning

by Janet Foor


Late winter morning at Lake Meade --
a peaceful calm to start my day.
Bald eagles nesting in the trees;
white swans prepare to fly away.

A flock of seagulls skim the waves;
blue herons gracefully take flight.
An eagle dives to catch a fish --
a rare and mesmerizing sight.

I hear the slapping of the waves
against the shoreline and the rocks --
while buffleheads and mallard ducks
glide easily between the docks.

The day unfolds before my eyes:
a dreary sky turns heavn'ly blue.
I'm lost within its mystic charm
and sweet, sweet memories of you.



Recognized


Last weekend, we visited friends at Lake Meade near Gettysburg, PA. I got up early and with my steaming cup of coffee, I walked down to the dock to watch and listen to the early morning activities.
A huge flock of tundra swans were on the far side of the lake and it was fascinating to watch them. About a dozen made their way to the middle of the lake and then in a line (like a formation) they flew off. Soon another dozen floated into a line and when ready, they flew away. This continued until all the swans had left the lake. I'm told that they stop here for a few weeks every February.

Meanwhile, about 150 yards from the dock, two adult bald eagles were roosting in a naked tree with at least 10 immature eagles. It was like the young were getting a fishing lesson. The adults would fly out over the lake, swoop down and catch a fish and fly back to the tree. Before long, some of the immature eagles were doing the same.

Needless to say, I loved it. It reminded me of many other happy memories with our dear friends at this lake and this poem is the result.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janet Foor All rights reserved.
Janet Foor has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.