Romance Fiction posted February 20, 2017 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The detectives talk with Shana.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Funf part vier

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Detective Campbell tapped his pen on his notepad. "Mr. Sharp. Why don't you go into the next room? My partner will question you." He waited until the two men left and moved closer to Shana. His eyes met hers. "Ma'am, I've noticed you watching Mr. Sharp. Are you being held against your will? Are you safe here?"

Today's Post:

Chapter 5 part 4

Shana blinked as she tilted her head. "Exactly what are you asking?"

"Is Mr. Sharp holding you against your will?" Detective Campbell's eyes remained on her.

"No!" Shana glared at the detective. "He's trying to help me. I brought these horrible men into his life. He's gone out of his way to keep me safe and find out who we're dealing with and what they want."

"Please explain." Detective Campbell got his pen ready to take notes.

After Shana described the entire ordeal to the detective, he looked up from his pad and studied her. "Do you realize how dangerous it is getting into a stranger's car, especially in this city?"

"Yes, sir, I do. I didn't have any other option."

"Where are the papers these men are trying to get?"

"I left them here. I knew they'd be safe." Shana's eyes met his. "Do you want me to get them?" After he nodded, she said, "I'll be right back," and left the room.

When Shana returned, Anderson carried the black bag containing the artwork's proof of ownership. "Before I show you these, I want an assurance no harm will come to them and they'll remain here." Both detectives agreed and Anderson passed them the paperwork.

Detective Campbell and his partner carefully scanned them.

After a few moments, Shana asked, "I'm sure you see why these papers are important to my family?"

"I do." The detective handed them back to Shana. "Please explain how you came into possession of these."

Shana described the history of her family in Germany and their fleeing to the United States and then how her uncle died in a concentration camp. When she finished, she asked, "Can you help retrieving my family's stolen painting?" She hesitated, before she continued, "Or at a minimum can you keep me safe from these men?"

Anderson grinned at the wording of her last question. "Well, officers, are you going to be able to help the lady?"

Campbell looked at this partner, Detective O'Reilly, who answered, "We can't help recover the artwork, but these two goons will spend at least tonight and tomorrow in lock-up. They'll probably make bail first thing Monday morning. If you have any more problems, we'll be glad to help."

"So bottom line is, unless they hurt me, you can't do anything, right?"

"I guess that sums it up." Campbell stood. "If there's nothing else, we'll be leaving." He eyed Anderson. "We still need to talk with Jeff Burke. Exactly what does he do for you?"

"As you do, he protects my guests and is in charge of my cars. Trust me. He came highly recommended."

"Why does that require a license to carry a concealed weapon?" asked O'Reilly.

"By the accuracy of his shot, I'd say he had military training." Detective Campbell put his notepad and pen in his pocket.

"You're correct." Anderson stepped toward the door. "To your first question, it's New York City. Taking care of cars can be dangerous." Anderson stepped toward the door. "I'll show you the way out." He paused at the door and faced Shana. "If it's all right, when I return I'd like to put your papers in my safe." After Shana nodded, he continued to show the officers to the elevator door.

"Ms. Kohlberg." Detective O'Reilly returned. "One more question. Why did you leave the safety of this penthouse?"

"I came to the den door to ask Anderson something and overheard him speaking with his lawyer. My being here could cost him custody of his daughter, and I couldn't let that happen."

"Makes sense." O'Reilly turned and left.

When Anderson returned, Shana stood and handed him the papers. After she watched him place them in a floor safe, she said, "Thank you. If you don't mind, I'll go to my room."

He nodded. "Jane will let you know when dinner's ready. After dinner, we'll talk."




Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burke-- takes care of Anderson's cars - - and other sundry chores
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident
Ben -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Morozov -- owner of the painting 'Winter-Traum' by Bruno Schmidt - formally 'Litzlberg am Attersee' by Gustav Klimt
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidentally chose a real person, so I have changed it.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five-year-old daughter
Detective Campbell & Detective O'Reilly --New York City Police Detectives



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a New York City detective badge. Last week I made a lot of amateur errors. I hope this week my post is cleaner. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I'm listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.