General Fiction posted February 18, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Inspire by a post of Joan E

Too Proud Father

by patcelaw


Joan E
Here is the short story I wrote using your post...

too proud father

keeper of a tawdry tavern
drowns memories of former self

headstrong daughter struggles
for a better future
mother yields to "A Touch of the Poet"



Melissa, looked at her too proud father and said, Daddy, I know you are a proud man, and have done well in life. But, why don't you seem to love mother and me the way you should?

As the keeper of a tawdry tavern Marvin, had been absorbed in his success.  He drowns memories of his former self.  He used to be gentle and loving with his family and especially to Melissa and her mother, Beverly.

But since Marvin had changed, Melissa becomes a headstrong daughter with struggles about how she saw the world.  She was longing for a better future than she was experiencing, and sat out to make her future into a life that was one that others would see in her, a strong woman who was capable of overcoming a most troubled childhood.

As her mother struggled to become a woman in her own right, a woman of achievement. As mother then yields to her desire to become a writer.  A writer like the author of  'A Touch of the Poet,'  which she loved and spent hours reading.  Soon, Beverly had written her own book of poetry, 'A Taste of a Poetic Mother.'

It was then that Marvin, the too proud father, realized the injustice he had done to both his headstrong daughter and his wife. That day he changed and became the gentle and loving husband and father once again.


-Patricia Lawrence
2-18-17



Recognized


The idea for this short story was to take the post from Joan E, using the facts of her post writing a story getting each line of her post woven into the story.
Joan's post is in red. Her post is called a six-line poem as play synopsis
(untitled Cherita)
The photo is a google image.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.