Fantasy Science Fiction posted February 16, 2017 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Archie and Ayala look into the book from Junior's office.

A chapter in the book Humanity Project

The Book of Hokee

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
While escaping heat and danger in a homemade cave, everyone snugs down to rest. Archie and Ayala can't sleep, so they begin to read the book, The Humanity Project, Archie found in Hokee.
End of Last Chapter:

"Where are you really from, Old Man?" Archie asked.

"The mountains." Sani waved a wizened hand northwards. "I've been a miner all my life. There's gold and silver in my skin and rock dust in my blood. If the Earth is our mother, the mountains and rocks are our brothers."

"I wish there was something I was that passionate about."

"There is. You've just been too busy to stop and find it."

"It may have found me."

"That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you, Son."


The Story Continues:

"You know," Koko said, "I'm surprised at how well the cave turned out. It's nice and cool, and the blanket we made lets in just enough light to see, but not so much that we can't rest. Archie, Sani, I'm impressed. Ayala, what do you think?"

Ayala looked over at Koko and hesitated as though any praise might be misconstrued as admiration for Archie. Yes, she wanted him to rescue her people if he could, but she still wasn't comfortable being friends. Somehow, she blamed him for everything negative that had happened.

"Ayala?"

"It's good, Koko. I mean, it's better than anything I would have imagined, had I imagined such a thing. But, don't worry, I'm not going to look for excuses to complain. It wasn't my choice to make this trip, but I accept the need for it. The cave is great."

"And are you satisfied, Archie?" Sani asked. "You worked very hard digging it."

Archie ran his fingers along the cool sandy wall, feeling the gritty texture. "Yes, Sir, it's nice. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for the circumstances, I'd think this was another of my father's camping trips . . . but with much better company . . . ."

"Let's hope this is the only company we get today," Sani said.

Archie nodded as he bit off a piece of dried lamb. "What does the earth tell you of our pursuers?"

"They're on our trail now, but just barely. I suggest we get some sleep while we can. Who knows what the night might bring?" Sani stretched his short legs out in front of him and reclined against the wall. Seconds later, he was snoring softly.

Koko and Ayala snuggled against each other as sisters often do when they crave each other's comfort. Archie looked at them for a moment and was struck, as before, by their obvious similarities. They had light brown hair... identical almost to the strand... strong handsome features, and firm slender bodies. Twins? Most likely... identical? Probably not. Archie tilted his weary head against the wall and closed his eyes.

Archie tried to relax into the comforting arms of sleep, but his active mind refused to let him. He flexed, twisted, sighed, and then gave up and leaned forward. Sleep was as elusive as Mine City. What was he going to do through the long hours as everyone else slept?

The book! The one he had taken from Junior's office. That would keep him busy. He reached into his knapsack and pulled out the heavy tome.

The cover bore an emblazoned image of a golden hawk. Its wings outstretched as though in flight. A rat clutched in one claw, the other, a hare. In the background, a full moon glowed, illuminating a valley below. A gorge silhouetted the other nine animals of the other Hokee houses.

Archie ran a finger across the figure as though trying to absorb its meaning. What lay hidden beneath the stiff cover of this lofty book? A sense of foreboding washed over him, causing him to shudder. Why? It was just a book, and one about a group of people that were barely his responsibility.

He opened the front cover. The logo image was repeated in black and white on the first page. He flipped to the next.

This book and project is dedicated to the future of humanity and to the strengthening of the human condition.
We, the Coalition of Humanitarian Scientists, do dedicate this book, and our lives, to the culmination of this project.
A charter is on file with the United States Government, allowing us full permission to do what we must to fulfill the dream of strengthening our species.



Archie turned to the next page.

Table of Contents

Chapter 1: Hufac Manifesto
Chapter 2: Organization of Houses
Chapter 3: Acquisition of Subjects
Chapter 3: Hawk House
Chapter 4: Donkey House
Chapter 5: Ant House
Chapter 6: Wasp House
Chapter 7: Hare House
Chapter 8: Coyote House
Chapter 9: Tarantula House
Chapter 10: Cougar House
Chapter 11: Buzzard House
Chapter 12: Snake House
Chapter 13: Rat House
Chapter 14: Deer House
Chapter 15: Mine City

"Read something from it," he heard Ayala say.

Archie looked up in surprise. "I thought you were asleep."

"I was, but I'm a light sleeper. I heard you get that book out, and I was wondering if it was the one you and Koko were talking about."

"It is."

"What's it called?"

"The Humanity Project."

"The Humanity Project? I've heard that name before. I think it's the name of the Hokee experiment."

"Sounds pretentious to me."

"We won't argue the point. What's pretentious to you, is life's journey to me. So, what's written inside?"

"I haven't read much, but I know there are lists of different sorts. One is of people who've been sent to Mine City. That's the one we saw Todd's name on, but there are others... ones that give the name of each child brought to Hokee."

"So it reads like a ledger?"

"In part, yeah, but there are written passages as well. I didn't have much time to explore it until now."

"Do you suppose mine and Koko's names are in there?"

"I wouldn't be surprised. Why don't you scoot over and look with me?" Archie held the book up as a taunt. "I promise to be a good boy."

"Forgive me if I withhold judgment."

"I would expect no less. Come on."

Ayala tilted her head in a slight nod, then moved over closer to her rival.

 "Here's the Table of Contents," Archie said. "Pick any chapter you want to read."

Ayala stared at the page for a few moments, then pointed at Chapter One. "Why don't you start here? I'd like to see what's in the HUFAC Manifesto. Let's see if you and Sani are right about the experiment."

"Are you sure you really want to know? Ignorance can be bliss."

"I think it's too late for bliss, Senator."

Archie nodded and turned to Chapter One. He cleared his throat and began reading softly so as not to disturb the others.

In order to repair generations of poor breeding and bad choices, my colleagues and I have taken on a task with possible heroic ramifications. In the process, we have made a discovery that may change the world as we know it.



Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, "Great Indira" by Dick Lee Shia.

Summary of the book so far:

Archie Franklin is a United States Senator from the State of Texas. He's also the President's son.
He was traveling the west, scoping out New Mexico for a committee he was on, when a deer ran in front of his Ferrari and caused him to crash.

He was rescued from the desert by a group from a cult-like village called Hokee. In this town, the people are part of an experiment to improve the human condition by taking orphans and raising them isolated from many of the modern conveniences that make mankind weak.

The children, as young as 5, are placed in houses named after animals, but otherwise taught animals are dangerous and unclean. Each "house" has a particular job in the community based on the attributes of the representative animal.

The leader, Leander, chooses what children are brought to the village. He doesn't want anyone to know about the compound so they can maintain isolation. Archie is now a prisoner, but has befriended a young lady, Koko, whose husband has come up missing, and is assumed imprisoned in a penal mining colony.

Working against odds, the two hope to escape and protect Koko's unborn child. Having babies at stage one of the experiment is forbidden by the scientists in charge. Teens are sterilized at puberty to avoid pregnancies, but occasionally one will be conceived. Standard operating procedure is to perform an abortion, but Koko is willing to fight against all she's grown up to believe to give her child a chance at life.

Now, Archie, Koko and Sani have escaped the complex after the old miner, Sani set off an explosive distraction. On the way through a fence, they ran into Ayala, Koko's "sister" who tried to stop them. In order to ensure her silence, they tied her up and took her with them.

These are the 12 houses of Hokee:

Hawk: Where Leander Jr. lives. They are the strict rulers of the compound, answerable only to Leander Sr..

Cougar: The strong arms of the Hawks. They dish out whatever punishment is required, even to sending miscreants to another settlement they have up North in the mines.

Coyote: The one Archie and Ayala are in: Job: Teachers and professors. Allowed more knowledge of the "outside world".

Ant: Considered unclean, these people tend meat and fur animals outside the village

Tarantula: Architects, and menders

Donkey: Transportation and communication

Wasp: Prepare and serve food

Deer: Sports and entertainment

Hare: Make and distribute clothing

Rat: Childcare

Snake: healthcare

Buzzards: Clean up crew, maintain sewer and custodial chores


General Summary of the Book:

Young Texas Senator, Archie Franklin, finds himself marooned in the desert with a group of people who are more than they appear to be on the surface.

Hokee: Name of the village Archie is held in. It means, "The abandoned."

Characters:

Archimedes (Archie) Franklin: High energy, main protagonist, who is, also, a Senator from Texas, and son of the President of the United States, Andrew Franklin.

Ayala: Female head of household in the house Archie finds himself imprisoned.

Andrew (Andy) Franklin: President of the United States, and father of Archie.

Koko: Ayala's best friend in Coyote House, close as sisters, born on the same day.

Todd: Koko's husband

Sani: Old man. Used to be a miner up north. Another trapped refugee from the desert. An ally in the quest to escape.

Leander: Head scientist in charge of the structure of Hokee. His son, Leander, is in charge of daily operations.

Junior: Leander's son, who lives in the Hawk house. He's personally a coward, but rules Hokee with an iron fist.

Others to be listed as they appear in the book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.