Humor Non-Fiction posted February 8, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Discovered by a publisher? Just kidding

Short Lived-Finale

by Mary Wakeford


**References to Brunhilda are my snarky inner voice-she often interjects herself into my writing**


Last week I received a mailing tube. Inside lay a colorful poster listing twenty-two writing tips for Phenomenal Storytelling. I contacted the printing company to determine who sent the poster after a query of family members indicated they had not...Brought to you by PNS Publishing was intriguing at best.

BREEEEENG - BREEEEEEENG - BREEEEEEEENG.

E: "Hello, you've reached EPingo, how can I help you?"

M: "Hi there, I received a package from you yesterday. It is a lovely writing tip poster, but I have no idea who sent it to me. I would like to send a thank you note. Can you help me identify the sender, or direct me to someone who can?"

E: "Ok, let's see. Let me type this into my computer. Okay. Got it. That was sent to you by Jessica Fogarty."

M: "Jessica Fogarty? I have no idea who she is. I've never heard of her. This must be a mistake."

E: "Jessica is with PNS Publishing in New York City...She is also affiliated with NBC News."

Brunhilda was drowning out my thought process with her repeated WTF's. How in the world did Jessica Fogarty get my home address? OMG, was I on the verge of being discovered?
~oo00oo~
 
So first, a little background history is in order.  

My mother grew up in a small suburb of Boston, called Watertown. She cultivated life-long friends during her school years; one by the name of Ruth Simonetti. Up until my mother's death at age 83, Ruth spent a month in Arizona, staying with my parents each Spring. We loved Ruth as one of our own. Ruth was a mother of three; a son and two daughters. Believe it or not, one of her daughters, Mary, went to high school with my sister-in-law, long before I knew either of them.  

When my oldest living aunt died, my mother shared estate settlement responsibilities with her younger sister, Grace, in selling the family home in Watertown, Massachusetts. In November of 1995, I flew east with my mother to close out the home following the sale. This was the first time I met Ruth's daughter, Mary, and son-in-law, Tom Genova. Mary was the listing agent for my aunt's home.  

Mary and Tom have traveled to Arizona a few times since our mothers' deaths. Our time together is treasured, and visits are too far between. Facebook helps to close the distance. Long-distance phone calls for those times when I want to converse minus the typing, is a special treat. Our mothers would be thrilled to know their friendship has continued through their children.

This brings me to a few weeks ago. Mary and Tom were heading to Texas to visit their nieces and nephew. They made a special jaunt to Arizona to spend two days with my siblings and our families. I hosted a dinner the evening of their arrival. The garlic mashed potatoes were a disaster, but my Chicken Lombardi and homemade apple pie saved the night. We took lots of pictures. I was delighted the Genovas were finally able to meet my grandson. He's been wooing them for nearly three years via my incessant Facebook baby-to-toddler photo posts, and Mary is Cayden's biggest FB fan.
 
~oo00oo~
 
Now back to the mysterious poster. Jessica Fogarty of PNS Publishing in New York City sent it to me, according to the distribution company responsible for mailing it. Brunhilda couldn't wrap her head around the fact that a NYC publisher had shown an interest in my 'piddling with pen and paper.' One thing about my Brunhilda, she will never be accused of being a confidence builder.  

The buzz it created in the hours after the delivery was palpable among my family. My youngest daughter was trolling beach house rentals online, certain we'd be able to spend an entire month instead of just a week pounding the California sand with the money I was going to make getting a book published. You know, the one I haven't yet written. My son and daughter were excited, but concerned I was going to jump ship on my commitment to babysit their newborns, both due in May. My oldest son was busy Googling the pros and cons of self-publishing vs. signing with an established publishing house. Jarrod has been money-wise since the age of Kindergarten. My husband began to fantisize about early retirement made possible with the money I was going to make writing (while tending to two newborns and a toddler).  

Brunhilda thought they were all fooooooking pixilated. I can always count on Brunhilda to rein in reality. Though, if Brunhilda were to admit to being completely honest, she too was in a state of controlled giddiness for a matter of a few hours.

Then my phone chimed the all too familiar... "You've got mail!" It was an email from Mary Genova:

MG:  "Have you received anything recently?"

Me:  "Hmmmmmm, why yes...I just made a call to the company in California to find the source...was this from you?" (Enclosed photo of poster)

MG:  "Yes, I thought it was going to be in a frame.  Lisa has this at her house and when I saw it, I thought of you.  XO"

Me:  "Oh my gosh, I love it!  I received it yesterday afternoon. Rog asked what I bought--I told him nothing.  He seemed skeptical. I opened the tube with Cayden breathlessly hopeful for a new toy.  I unrolled it and was delighted. I quickly texted Kate to ask if it was from her--she often does this type of thing. She said no. Then I asked Em, J and M...no, no, no. Then I sent a text to a friend who I thought may have sent it...another no.

Busy day today, but when I returned home from library and got Cayden down for a nap, I called the company (ePingo), and asked if they could help me locate the person who gifted it. I half expected it to be a consolation prize from FanStory.  

The gentleman told me it came from (drum roll please) ...

Jessica Fogarty of PNS Publishing in New York. He mentioned she also worked for NBC News. I remarked..."I don't know this person, are you sure about that? I can't imagine why she would send this to me..." He responded, "Well, she's obviously read something of yours and liked it."

My head was swirling. I'D BEEN DISCOVERED BY A NYC PUBLISHING AGENT...LOL!

He gave me her phone number so I could contact her. It was after 5:00, so my plan was to call her in the morning.

I'm so glad you sent that message of inquiry before I made a total buffoon of myself!  

Thank you so much, Mary.  It is fabulous and will be so helpful.

You know I'm going to write a story about being discovered by a NYC publisher, and then NOT being discovered by a NYC publisher!

LOL, You are the best!

I love you."
~oo00oo~
 
It was about this time Brunhilda informed me she would be moving out of my head. She can't take the nonsense any longer.  I told her I would give her a good recommendation, and reminded her to take the suitcase of migraines with her when she took her leave.

I found a frame online to fit the poster yesterday.  I'm awaiting its arrival any day now. Guess where it's being shipping from ... NEW YORK CITY!  

One other thing...the Lisa Mary referred to is her daughter.  You may have read her remarkable work, beginning with her first book, self-published, Still Alice

Julianne Moore played the main character, Alice Howland, a Harvard professor suffering with early-onset Alzheimers disease, in the Academy Award winning film based on Lisa Genova's novel.  Her fictional stories are emotional, riveting, and written with such heart you will become an instant fan.

I have never met Lisa, but if she's anything like her parents...

So for a few hours, a happening NYC publisher was interested in my writing...EEEEERK, plot twist!

Brunhilda wanted to close with a familiar quote. "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"..."You should not make plans that depend on something good happening before you know that it has actually happened."

Bruni also wanted you to know this quote was taken from the Cambridge Dictionary. In Massachusetts, Cambridge is located right next to Watertown, where this story began many, many moons ago with two mothers-- mine and Mary's.  



  

 

 




 



 



 



Recognized


The name of the publishing agent has been changed for privacy purposes. She likely would want no part of being named in this story :D

CLICK.HERE.

Lisa Genova...New York Times Best Selling Author...
Still Alice (2010)
Left Neglected (2011)
Love Anthony (2012)
Inside the O'Briens (2015)

Lisa Genova video courtesy of YouTube:



https://bookpage.com/interviews/8648-lisa-genova#.WJq4dMtlBnF
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mary Wakeford All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mary Wakeford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.