Romance Fiction posted February 5, 2017 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana is missing.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Funf part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Philip came to the patio carrying four large wardrobe bags. "Shana, I'm guessing these are for you."

"I didn't order anything."

"I got you a few things to tide you over," said Jane. "I'll help you take them to your room. On the way, I'll fill you in on Patricia."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 5 part 2

Late that afternoon, Philip led Isaiah Glassberg into Anderson's den. Over coffee and fresh muffins, Anderson explained to his custody lawyer everything that had happened. After he finished, he asked, "Will this have any effect on me getting custody of Emily?"

"It shouldn't. The incident where your ex-wife left Emily alone for hours while she got a manicure and pedicure will hold more weight." Isaiah shook his head. "I still can't believe a mother would do that."

"I'm glad a delivery man knocked on the door and heard Emily. She was only four. Who knows what could have happened. But that's Patricia. She's only concerned about herself. I'm convinced the reason she wants custody is she's afraid of how it would look for a mother to lose. She's all about appearances."

"If we could prove more incidences of Emily being left alone, it would seal our case. If there's one, there's more." Isaiah's eyes met Anderson's. "You're keeping up with the child support, correct?"

Anderson took a bite of muffin before he answered, "Of course. I have an automatic transfer of twelve thousand dollars child support and twenty thousand dollars alimony on the first of each month. Plus I'm paying for private preschool that she rarely attends because Patricia can't get her to school."

"You don't have to pay alimony. There was a prenuptial." The lawyer took a sip of coffee. "Patricia should pay for preschool. She gets child support for things like that."

"I know, but Patricia is just mean enough to take it out on Emily. I have a college fund and a trust fund set aside." Anderson smiled. "Just in case the bottom drops out of the oil business."

"Patricia may want custody just so she can keep the child support. I'm sure she doesn't spend that much on one child."

"She doesn't spend any of it on Emily." Anderson pressed the intercom for Philip. "Please come in for a minute."

After Philip entered, Anderson said, "I need to know how Patricia spends her money. It's not on Emily."

"I'll get right on it." Philip left the room.

"I'll get a court order for her bank records." Isaiah wrote a note to himself.

"I'd be surprised if she has any records."

"What are you going to do about Ms. Kohlberg?" asked Isaiah.

"I don't have the slightest clue. The only thing I'm sure of is she needs help and she can stay here as long as the Russians are after her."

"I guess that's as good a plan as any." Isaiah finished his coffee and stood. "I better go. I have another meeting in thirty minutes. You know the traffic."

They shook hands, and Anderson led him to the elevator. "We should do dinner. How about next Wednesday?"

"Sounds good. I'll check my calendar and get back to you later today." Isaiah took the elevator down.

*****
I need to speak with Anderson and make sure he returns the clothes. I can't accept such extravagant gifts. At the den's door, Shana overheard Anderson explaining the situation to a man, she paused, and started to turn around. That must be his lawyer. She hesitated. Having me here could cost him custody of his daughter. I can't allow that. She hurried to her room.

Shana sat on the edge of her bed. Romeo lay at her feet. "Jane said Pamela, no..., Patricia thought being married to Anderson meant she'd live a lavish lifestyle filled with parties every night. She didn't realize Anderson needed to work and she refused to live in Texas when he wasn't needed here."

Romeo moved and put his head in Shana's lap. She petted him. Patricia didn't want a child. Anderson wanted the family. She was worried a pregnancy would hurt her perfect figure. Jane said she's a horrible mother. She refuses to take care of the child and won't spend a dime on her, and Anderson sees to it that she gets more than enough. All she wants to do is party.

Shana stood. "I need to leave. I can't allow Anderson to lose his child. She deserves a good parent," she whispered as she opened the door. "You need to stay here." She made sure she shut Romeo inside the room. She made her way to the back elevator and rode it to the parking garage.

*****
When Anderson returned to the den, he noticed a scowl on Philip's face. "What's wrong?"

"Shana's missing."

"How can that be?" Anderson ran his hands through his short light brown hair. "It's impossible." He pushed the intercom button. "Jane, where's Shana?"

"In her room. It's still the Sabbath. I'll be there in a minute." Jane hurried into the den.

Anderson scanned the area. "Where are the dogs?" He glanced at the back elevator. "The elevator's at the bottom. She's left." He called down to the garage. "Jeff, Shana's in the garage. Watch her! I'm on my way."




Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff -- takes care of Anderson's cars - - and other sundry chores
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident
Ben -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Morozov -- owner of the painting 'Winter-Traum' by Bruno Schmidt - formally 'Litzlberg am Attersee' by Gustav Klimt
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidentally chose a real person, so I have changed it.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five-year-old daughter






Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of A Jewish Star. This is my sixth post, so I will FINALLY get ranked. LOL People have been asking. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I'm listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.