Romance Fiction posted January 29, 2017 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Philip returns with some information.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Funf part eine

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Her name is Emily." Anderson set his jaw. "Brownies and banana splits are not a healthy breakfast. Helen will ensure Emily eats healthy food." When Patricia opened her mouth to protest, he added, "I refuse to have this conversation. I have work to do, goodbye." He opened the elevator door.

Once the elevator left, Jane asked, "Do you want me to call your lawyer?"

"Make the appointment for later this afternoon." Anderson muttered, "Philip, you'd better have some good information. How's lunch coming?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 5 part 1

As Helen cleared the lunch dishes, Philip returned. "I'll heat your lunch. It'll only take a minute," said Helen as she took the last of the dishes into the kitchen. "Don't start until I get back."

Before Anderson motioned for Philip to take a seat, he said, "I hope you discovered something that'll answer at least some of our questions."

"I did, maybe, but I'm afraid it'll just add more questions to the rising pile."

Helen returned with a heated lunch, salad, and a drink. She placed it in front of Philip and sat beside Jane. "Did I miss anything?"

Philip shook his head. "I haven't started." He took a bite of salad, chewed, and then said, "Ivan Kuznetsov lives in Brighton Beach."

"That's not surprising. There's a Russian Community there." Anderson drummed his fingers on the table.

"It's believed he's a member of a Russian Mafia, but there's a question as to which one. I have it narrowed to two. It may be the Odessa Mafia, whose headquarters are in Brighton Beach or the Brothers' Circle."

"Wait a minute!" Anderson leaned forward and pointed his finger. "Didn't Obama issue an executive order targeting the Brothers' Circle, stating they deal in violence, narcotics, money laundering, and the exploitation of women and children?"

"I think you're correct. He named a Japanese gang too, but I don't remember exactly what that was." Jane started researching on her phone.

Shana released a deep breath. "This is scary; talk of Russian mafia and all. What does it have to do with my painting?"

Jane touched Shana's hand. "That's what we have to figure out. I feel like a detective in one of those suspense novels." She smiled. "Or on one of those crime shows."

"That's the part we have no clue about. My gut says the man I saw at the museum plays a role in this." Anderson's eyes met Philip's. "Anything else you can tell us?"

"I didn't see this myself but it's reported that Kuznetsov has stars tattooed on his knees and his shoulders."

"What does that mean?" asked Helen. "A lot of people have tatts. My nephew has two and he's not in the Russian mafia."

"I have it right here." Jane pointed to her phone. "Stars on the knees mean that person won't bow to any man." Her eyes met Anderson's. "He's one bad guy." After he nodded, she continued, "The shoulder tatts mean he's a man of discipline, has high status or that he's been promoted to captain of the mafia."

"So we're pretty sure he's in the mafia." Philip took a drink. "We're just not sure which one."

"Does it really matter?" asked Anderson.

"If I forget about the painting, will he leave us alone?" asked Shana. "No painting is worth all this. I just want to go home."

"That I can't answer."

All heads turned when they heard the elevator buzzer.

"Now who's here?" asked Anderson as he set his jaw.

Philip stood, but with eyebrows raised and looked at Jane.

"Patricia came to visit," whispered Jane.

With a nod, Philip answered the elevator door.

Anderson whispered, "Jane, I heard you. I'm right here."

"Just explaining why you're so grumpy."

Jane answered Shana's confused look. "Patricia is Drew's ex-wife. They have a daughter together. Emily's five. They're in a custody fight."

Philip came to the patio carrying four large wardrobe bags. "Shana, I'm guessing these are for you."

"I didn't order anything."

"I got you a few things to tide you over," said Jane. "I'll help you take them to your room. On the way, I'll fill you in on Patricia."


Characters so far:
Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff -- takes care of Anderson's cars - - and other sundry chores
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident
Ben -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Morozov -- owner of the painting 'Winter-Traum' by Bruno Schmidt - formally 'Litzlberg am Attersee' by Gustav Klimt
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidentally chose a real person, so I have changed it.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five-year-old daughter





Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of man with the star tattoos like the ones the Russian Mafia uses. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I'm listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.