General Script posted January 23, 2017 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Prose Potlatch Challenge-One Act Script

A chapter in the book Scripts

Drawing One to Three Aces

by michaelcahill


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.


Fade in:
 
A back alley. The glow of Las Vegas lights bathes the faces of the people engaged in animated discussion around a pink 1957 Cadillac. The car has no tires and is decidedly non-functional. In fact, the hood is up and a nice warming fire blazes from where an engine would normally be. Circus Circus and several casinos can be seen in the distance and within walking distance.
 

Characters:
 
Tennessee: A self-described "Sporting man", his choice of wardrobe looks like it may have been stylish at some point before absorbing the grit and grime of the alley and who knows where.
 
Porsche du Pont: An aged prostitute and alcoholic who can always be found by the fire. She talks about her tricks, but it isn't clear when she encounters them as she is always in the alley.
 
Hal Jordan aka The Green Lantern: The group knows he's the super hero, the Green Lantern, but they keep it a secret. They all call him "Hal", especially if strangers are around.
 
Bill: He claims to own the Cadillac. Everyone accepts that fact. He's schizophrenic, for purposes of the alley he's known to be nutty as a loon.
 
Several other people, passersby, regulars who come and go and others who some see and some don't.
 
Bill is warming his hands over the fire when he turns and stares at the remains of an old Volkswagen. Standing there is Hubert Humphrey in front of a podium speaking into a microphone. Only Bill sees him.
 
Humbert Humphrey
And those Republicans, THOSE Republicans. They're the ones who brought crime off the streets and INTO THE WHITE HOUSE!
 
Bill's eyes get wide and then wider still as he glances to the right. Sitting on a rock outcropping is a Scotsman addressing fellow clansmen.
 
Old Scotsman
William Wallace killed fifty men ... fifty, if it was one.
 
Bill turns back to the fire and speaks.
 
Bill
It's time to stop being pussys and take it to these terrorists. Nuke 'em. That's what I say. Nuke 'em. Gimme a snort of that.
 
He extends his hand and a bottle of vodka is passed to him. The brand is obscured, but the word "VODKA" is clear.
 
Hal
What about the innocents who would be killed? What about the irreparable damage to the environment? You know, Bill, the fallout would be just as likely to drift right over this alley and turn you into the walking dead. Hell, that may have happened all ready.
 
Hal reaches over and grabs Bill's wrist as if he's taking his pulse. The whole group has a big laugh. Bill hesitates as if waiting for the results and then joins them.
 
Bill
True, I get your goody two shoes approach, Hal. But that doesn't do the thousands who die at their hands much good now does it?
 
Down at the end of the alley a couple argues in front of a Porsche whose hood is up. Steam is coming from the radiator. The couple looks well-to-do and the lady looks hopping mad. They both begin walking down the alley way. Circus Circus is at the far end of the alley.
 
Stranded Man:
Is it my fault the damn car overheated? Christ, women, the whole world is my fault.
 
Stranded Women:
You probably didn't check the water. I always tell you, check the water and oil thingies. Did you? I wouldn't tell you to check, but you never do and that's why we end up walking down alleys. Look at those bums. Are you at least going to protect me from them? I swear, all you had to do was check the water, but noooooo, that would be sensible. Why do that? Are you watching these guys? They even look at me you better step up. I've got pepper spray. I have to with you around.
 
Back at the Cadillac Tennessee is telling a poker story:
 

Tennessee
Well, Binion OWNED Binion's of course, so not many liked to sit at his table. Rumour was, it was a little too much to his advantage if'n ya catch my drift. But, I knew Binion and I knew he liked a fair fight and fancied himself a shark when it came to draw poker. Well, three aces is and isn't a sure thing. An amateur over bets and people drop like flies. I place a modest bet, furrow my brow when it's raised, hem and haw and finally call. I draw one, see? What's old Tennessee goin' for, two pair to a house, flush, straight, the don't know. I draw two ... they know, see? Hey, look what's walkin' up here. You know about the inner workings of the internal combustion engine, Bill. Maybe you could be of service.
 
Bill
Maybe. They look a little snooty though. I bet they don't say a hidey-ho.
 
The couple walk by and as far clear as they can get with their heads down.
 
Bill
Car troubles, Mister?
 
Stranded Man
Ah ... yeah, over-heated. I'll call someone ... the hotel, right up there. No problem. Uh ... thanks though.
 
The couple speed up the pace.
 
Tennessee
Heeee haawww. Watch out you two. We's a dangerous bunch here. That's Bonnie Parker there. This here is Billy the Kid and I'm The Joker. You ain't seen Batman have ya. He's a mite pissed at me.
 
Stranded women
There's no need to insult us. We didn't say a fuckin' word to you. Why don't you get jobs and amount to something? We work for a living. Try it sometime, it beats living in a fuckin' alley.
 
The group bursts out laughing.
 
Porsche du Pont
I make a handsome living from men married to women just like you, sweetcakes.
 
Bill
Mercy, Porsche. You'd kill a scrawny little twig like that. He'd run home cryin' to his momma ... unless that's his momma right there.
 
Stranded Woman
You damn doormat. Stand up for yourself for a change. You're going to let an old whore and a bunch of lousy homeless drunks talk to you that way? Daddy was right about you.
 
Stranded Man
It's Porsche, you dolts. Not Porsssshhh-uhhhhh. Porsche, one word.
 
Stranded Woman
Powerful.
 
The couple keep walking as the group around the car continue to mock them. From behind an old storage shed two men step out. One is holding a knife.
 
Man with knife
I'll make this simple. The jewelry, the money and the cards. You hold out, you get cut. You hand it over, you keep walking. Don't try and be brave, fancy Dan. I'd like to cut you just for fun.
 
The couple are both shaking. Neither say a word as they comply with the instructions.
 
Thug #2
Change of plans, Tony. I'm having me some of this.
 
He's standing close to the woman and puts his hand on her shoulder near her neck. The women freezes in terror.
 
Stranded Man
Look, we're giving you all we have. Just let us go, like you said. There's no need to hurt her. There's seven or eight hundred bucks there and way more in jewelry. Just let us go ... please.
 
While this is taking place, the group around the Cadillac has begun to run towards the scene of the robbery. The two thugs are taken aback as are the stranded couple. There's no hesitation as they knock the thug with the knife to the ground dislodging it from his hand. Porsche has a hold of the second thug's private parts and he screams as Tennessee clocks him in the jaw. It's all the two thugs can do to get away and run down the alley.
 
The stranded couple and the group formerly gathered around the Cadillac share a moment of awkward silence. Bill looks over by the old storage shed and sees Will Rogers sitting there.
 
Will
Ya know, I never met a man I didn't like.
 
The End



 



Recognized




Topic: What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

I'm totally clueless. LOL
But, this is how I learned everything else. :))


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.